Talk about your asset allocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about your asset allocation

Singuy's post about going 100% stocks even in retirement made me wonder where everyone here stands as far as asset allocation. I thought it might make for an interesting conversation.

If you're willing to play along, post the following:
    % bonds
    % cash

I am 56. As of market close yesterday we stand as follows.
    66.13% stocks
    24.72% bonds
    9.14% cash

Cash had drifted up to about 13% not too long ago but I thought that was too high (the 9% is still higher than it needs to be). I brought it down by making a couple of extra investments and paying cash for my new car last month.
    Last edited by disneysteve; 10-18-2020, 04:23 PM.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

48.7% equities
    41.1% bonds
    10.2% cash

Comment

With new money, it's going in roughly 85% stock, 10% cash, 5% bonds, not counting a bunch of additional cash that is earmarked as sinking funds. The investment balance (without calculating it) is roughly 90/10. I generally agree with Singuy's mindset, but I'm fine with holding some bonds for a splash of diversification. We're emphasizing cash alot as well because buying our last house in cash tapped out alot of our cash reserves, so I'm trying to build that up again.

Another consideration for asset allocation.... We have nearly half of our net worth in real estate, between our 2 houses. Our long term plan is to stay roughly like that, with half invested in the stock market, half in real estate.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

61 (DH is 58)
        65% equities
        12% bonds
        23% cash

We are way too rich in cash but have been planning to purchase additional rental property if an opportunity comes our way.

Comment

77.9% Stocks
          20.1% Bonds
          2% cash

This is a summary of our retirement funds, and excludes 529 plans. Cash is adequate for its intended use as an emergency fund+ and am working on building our cash reserves with the intention of building a retirement cash bucket equivalent to a couple years of expenses.

Comment

64 (DH is 65)
            roughly 55% equities and 45% cash &bonds

Comment

roughly:
              75% Stocks
              15% Bonds
              10% Cash

Excluding cash, my goal is mainly keeping 85/15 for aa.
              "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

98% Stocks (90% individual stocks, 10% index funds)
                1% cash
                0% bonds
                1% real estate like peer street

37 yo.

Risk level: somewhere between high risk and wall street bets autists

Comment

82% stocks 18% cash/cash equivalents Largest position: RFP

Comment

Originally posted by JBinKC View Post
                    82% stocks 18% cash/cash equivalents Largest position: RFP
                    How old are you?
                    Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

57 (semi retired at 44) The info I gave you is within my Roth IRA which is a simple calculation.

Comment

Originally posted by JBinKC View Post
                        The info I gave you is within my Roth IRA which is a simple calculation.
                        Is that your entire portfolio?

The numbers I gave are for everything we've got regardless of what account it's in.
                        Steve

Comment

Age 57 My roth account was fairly represesentative to my total number (rounded) 82% stocks 19 % cash and equivalents less 1% margin. My personal account is approximately 75/30- 5% margin and 7.5% of my liquid net worth.

Comment

41 years old
                            93.59% Stocks
                            1.756% Bonds
                            4.67% cash

I'm holding cash still because of two reasons

1. more stock opportunities after election
                            2. rental property in cash

So here's the deal we have around still 8 months of cash and 6 months in ibonds of expenses. DH gets his bonus in November and Feb. I'm debating investing it or stash it in cash. A lot depends on where the market is. I think Cash because I think Jan/Feb 2021 we max out 401k (19k and after tax Roth IRA so $47k) before DH quits his job. So we need to live on our cash for 2-3 months then he starts new job but I'm not sure how and when he'll get paid so it's better that we sort of have some cash for playing I think.

LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                              I'm holding cash still because of two reasons

1. more stock opportunities after election
                              I just read an article this morning saying they expect to see a drop immediately after the election if Biden wins but that the drop will be short-lived. So if you're going to try to time the market, that might be the time to do it. Of course, nobody really knows what will actually happen which is why market timing is always a crap shoot.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X