Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious Question For the Board: Would You Invest in Marijuana Related Stocks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Question For the Board: Would You Invest in Marijuana Related Stocks?

A lot of people I frankly respect and admire are investing in marijuana related stocks. Since its come up recently I wanted to quickly get a pulse of everyones viewpoints.

Would you invest in marijuana companies under current conditions? Do you have any objection to marijuana in principle?
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
    A lot of people I frankly respect and admire are investing in marijuana related stocks. Since its come up recently I wanted to quickly get a pulse of everyones viewpoints.

Would you invest in marijuana companies under current conditions? Do you have any objection to marijuana in principle?
    In stocks, no. I don't do individual stocks.

I have wondered about growing it, though. It's legal now in our state; it's the federal government that's the trouble.

Comment

Two entirely different questions here.

1. I have no objection at all to investing in marijuana companies. I don't buy individual stocks but if there are marijuana companies in any funds I invest in, that would not change my plans in any way.

2. Yes, I am 100% (okay, maybe 98.5%) opposed to marijuana in principle. I think the ongoing push to legalize it is tremendously misguided and driven primarily by $$$ more than anything else. But again, I would never mix that personal opinion with any investing decisions.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Two entirely different questions here.

1. I have no objection at all to investing in marijuana companies. I don't buy individual stocks but if there are marijuana companies in any funds I invest in, that would not change my plans in any way.

2. Yes, I am 100% (okay, maybe 98.5%) opposed to marijuana in principle. I think the ongoing push to legalize it is tremendously misguided and driven primarily by $$$ more than anything else. But again, I would never mix that personal opinion with any investing decisions.
        Your question is a good one. One thing I didn't like about mutual funds is owning pieces of companies that I disagreed with ethically or morally and I was helpless to do any thing about it. Some of the crap Disney sponsors is assisting in the decay of our society. But if you're a mutual fund investor, it's pretty hard to find a fund that invests in companies that you agree with.

Additionally, there is unscrupulous, unethical, and downright illegal behavior going in throughout the organizational charts of most Fortune 1000 companies. Heck I was part of a so-called "Christian" hospital system once that had all sorts of craziness going on.
        How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

CNBC talks about marijuana stocks a lot, but I never could. Maybe I should. Cronos, Canopy, Tilray, are some that come to mind.

Comment

I would invest if it was in one of my mutual funds. To be honest, I'm probably invested in something that I oppose, I just don't know what it is.

I do not object to marijuana (or the legalization of) in principle.

Comment

Originally posted by moneybags View Post
              I would invest if it was in one of my mutual funds. To be honest, I'm probably invested in something that I oppose, I just don't know what it is.

I do not object to marijuana (or the legalization of) in principle.
              The health and behavior effects of smoking marijuana don't bother you? It can't be healthy to inhale smoke into your lungs?
              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

I won't invest in marijuana.

I was in high school in the late 60s, young adult in the 70s. Everything everywhere was about joints and the wonderfulness of marijuana. And--my own experience with people I actually knew from school and such--the people that were totally into marijuana never seemed to grow up or even get decent jobs.

I'm sure other people know people that smoked it all the time and they were rocket scientists or such, but the people I knew never seemed to make it past "odd jobs." I was looking at my high school alumni page online and a lot of people had put their bios--mostly retired now, lots of business people, professionals, etc. And there were several of the old potheads with pretty much the same bio--"looking for myself" "working part-time hoping to get an apartment soon."

Could be a coincidence. But it's just something I'm totally not comfortable with and have no wish to profit from.

Comment

I'm pretty much in line with DS. The incidental presence of stock in marijuana companies would not lead me to dump a mutual fund (especially knowing that my MF's are all total-market funds). However, I absolutely would not intentionally buy stock in a marijuana company -- no way in the world that I'll intentionally participate in driving up the value of an industry that disgusts me, nor profit off of the damage it does to our society.

I am completely opposed almost every aspect of the burgeoning use & legalization of marijuana. I acknowledge that, like many other plants, it may hold potentially meaningful medical applications. However, recreational use and poorly indicated "medicinal" use is ludicrous, and damaging to the health and principles of our society. As mentioned by James -- intentionally breathing in smoke of any sort is not good for anyone, let alone doing so with the intention of inhibiting your mental faculties. Same reasons that I oppose the use of tobacco, alcohol, and other stimulants & depressants (a.k.a. DRUGS).
                  "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I would invest in one if the fundamentals looked good.
                    I'm not opposed to it in principle.
                    There is no hangover like when I drink too much. lol.
                    Brian

Comment

I would not go out of my way to invest in marijuana related companies. But I invest in indexes, so maybe I already invest in some aspect of it?

My personal view about it is probably in the minority. I am opposed. I am aghast that marijuana/marijuana derivatives are being served in food and at restaurants. I have a lot of heart burn about inadvertently consuming it and potentially testing positive for the drug. Or, children inadvertently consuming it in food based products. It has not been decriminalized in my state, so it is always a shock when I go to states who have. (Another question to ask--is there cannabis or cannabis derivatives in the food being served?)

I am not convinced that smoking it is any safer than cigarettes. (And, I sure don't want to inhale the 2nd hand smoke.) It is being hyped as a miracle drug and a cure for whatever ails you. Maybe there are some benefits to it, but I think years from now we might have a different perspective on the cost to society when used as a recreational drug. I guess we'll see.

Comment

The health and behavior effects of smoking marijuana don't bother you? It can't be healthy to inhale smoke into your lungs?
                        I agree completely, but I will also point out that more and more marijuana usage is not in the form of smoking the product. Ingestibles are becoming much more common.
                        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post
                          I am aghast that marijuana/marijuana derivatives are being served in food and at restaurants.
                          Is this actually happening? They are lacing food with drugs and not disclosing it? And there are places where that is legal? I haven't heard of this. Where is it happening?
                          Steve

Comment

Are we talking about hemp or marijuana? These are two different things. I've watched a couple people get off opiods for pain by taking hemp products, which do not have THC. I would absolutely invest in hemp, as I think there are more benefits and fewer side effects as many drugs on the market, and hemp has other uses that could even replace oil based plastic, which would be better for the environment.
                            My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

I have not heard of use in restaurants but the edibles and drinks infused are big sellers I guess at the pot stores in my state.

I have heard from someone that simply did not know how potent these items are and drank a infused product and "lost" 5 hours they simply do not remember.
                              He said everyone that used this regularly laughed and said only drink like 1/4 of it each time not the whole thing there were no instructions so I guess people learn after they have an experience like this man.
                              I also do not think I would sell a mutual fund if it had items in it, as some have said many companies that I do not agree with for other reasons are included in funds I own.

I would not openly seek out to make a profit on items that I feel can cause a lot of damage to some people.
                              Much like alcohol Some people may be able to handle and manage use but SO MANY simply can not handle.

We will see the damage years from now of this $$$$ grab and now people are pushing for other items like magic mushrooms to be legalized as " medicine" . Everything is pushed as this will solve all and the medical community will be out of work if a hippie in a tye dye can diagnose and fix your issues in a poorly lit room reeking of pot. LOL

I wonder how many lives will need to be left in the dust or lost before this experiment shows it was illegal for a real reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X