Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla short

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    ^Best of luck to you. I have no dog in the fight (or whatever the saying is)... but another saying I remember is not to make your investments personal. Just because you love your sony tv doesn't necessarily make it a good or great investment. I dont follow the stock closely, but it seems like investors have some real legitimate concerns. And of course the short interest in the stock is so high that positive news can send it skyrocketing, which is a good thing if you're long or if youre betting the swings. Quick question, has tesla ever had a profitable quarter?

    Comment


    • #17
      Yes, they had 2 profitable quarters after the Model S and Model X launched. Then they had two profitable quarters Q3 2018 and Q4 2018. They are guiding for a profitable quarter Q3 and Q4 of 2019 with a small loss Q2.
      2017 their net profit was -2 billion. 2018 their net profit was -1 billion. 2019 if all things go well they may break even. This is a growth stock to the tee with a very high short interest with huge gaps of information. I make money via gap of information. The more wrong one group is vs another the better..and if the group getting the wrong information dictating the stock price then it's a recipe to make $$$ for me. Just need to be patient. I was with AMD so what's another few quarters of having paper loss.

      Btw I didn't get into Tesla because I like their cars. I got into Tesla because I believe they are moving the advent of sustainable energy in the right way. It's like when Netflix stock dropped 70% after they announced that they are going full streaming service only. That's the future, and what Tesla is doing is the future and they are doing it in the most correct way. Of course every short seller will tell you how wrong they are and how legacy automakers can't be disrupted....

      Comment


      • #18
        As soon as someone can demonstrate that an electric vehicle has a smaller carbon footprint than a petroleum vehicle, I will be all in. But as long as we are relying 63% on fossil fuel plants to produce the power to run the car, the electric car will remain the dirtiest car on the road, as much as three times dirtier than a combustion engine car. https://www.economist.com/science-an...aner-than-what

        That electricity doesn't come from an outlet is a concept that the "clean energy" crowd usually overlooks.

        But let's not allow facts get in the way of a great feel-good story that we are running on electricity and saving the polar bears.
        How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
          As soon as someone can demonstrate that an electric vehicle has a smaller carbon footprint than a petroleum vehicle, I will be all in. But as long as we are relying 63% on fossil fuel plants to produce the power to run the car, the electric car will remain the dirtiest car on the road, as much as three times dirtier than a combustion engine car. https://www.economist.com/science-an...aner-than-what

          That electricity doesn't come from an outlet is a concept that the "clean energy" crowd usually overlooks.

          But let's not allow facts get in the way of a great feel-good story that we are running on electricity and saving the polar bears.
          One piece of the puzzle is cost, though. Mile for mile, is it actually cheaper to operate an electric vehicle than a comparable gas-powered one? I guess that depends on the cost of electricity in your area. And what happens with those mobile charging stations? Are they free or do you swipe a credit card? I have no idea how that works.
          Steve

          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
            As soon as someone can demonstrate that an electric vehicle has a smaller carbon footprint than a petroleum vehicle, I will be all in. But as long as we are relying 63% on fossil fuel plants to produce the power to run the car, the electric car will remain the dirtiest car on the road, as much as three times dirtier than a combustion engine car. https://www.economist.com/science-an...aner-than-what

            That electricity doesn't come from an outlet is a concept that the "clean energy" crowd usually overlooks.

            But let's not allow facts get in the way of a great feel-good story that we are running on electricity and saving the polar bears.
            I hear this nonsense everyday with people ignoring the fact that coal production is dropping yearly due to fracking from natural gas. I am not even going to mention the rise of renewable and companies like Tesla sell you a one stop shop to power your house and your car using the sun. Gas cars give you no other alternatives since petroleum is not very versatile in its creation unlike electricity. And because petroleum is not versatile in its production, the U.S needs to pay money to foreign countries, sometimes funding terrorist and destabilize regions of the world to defend such resource. Electricity on the other hand is 100% made in the U.S.A and always will be. In fact, I can proudly say my electricity is made not only 100% in the U.S, but it's made 100% using my very own land.

            So far my Tesla has used up 0 energy from coal and 0 energy from gas, and have given exactly 0 dollars to fund people who are sometimes plotting against our national interest. So stop with your "what if we all drive electric cars in west Virginia where it's 100% coal!?". How about what if everyone has solar on their roof tops driving an electric car with drive trains motors that last over a million miles?
            What about UK being 100% off coal while many EU countries are actually taking pollution and climate change seriously by going 100% renewable? Studies after studies showing EVs are cleaner and will continue to be as time goes on. But no, lets look at the past and extrapolate data in an alternate reality of "your energy comes from 100% coal and always will be".

            https://www.theguardian.com/business...ity-generation
            https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=37692
            Last edited by Singuy; 06-02-2019, 12:03 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Singuy View Post

              I hear this nonsense everyday with people ignoring the fact that coal production is dropping yearly due to fracking from natural gas. I am not even going to mention the rise of renewable and companies like Tesla sell you a one stop shop to power your house and your car using the sun. Gas cars give you no other alternatives since petroleum is not very versatile in its creation unlike electricity. And because petroleum is not versatile in its production, the U.S needs to pay money to foreign countries, sometimes funding terrorist and destabilize regions of the world to defend such resource. Electricity on the other hand is 100% made in the U.S.A and always will be. In fact, I can proudly say my electricity is made not only 100% in the U.S, but it's made 100% using my very own land.

              So far my Tesla has used up 0 energy from coal and 0 energy from gas, and have given exactly 0 dollars to fund people who are sometimes plotting against our national interest. So stop with your "what if we all drive electric cars in west Virginia where it's 100% coal!?". How about what if everyone has solar on their roof tops driving an electric car with drive trains motors that last over a million miles?
              What about UK being 100% off coal while many EU countries are actually taking pollution and climate change seriously by going 100% renewable? Studies after studies showing EVs are cleaner and will continue to be as time goes on. But no, lets look at the past and extrapolate data in an alternate reality of "your energy comes from 100% coal and always will be".

              https://www.theguardian.com/business...ity-generation
              https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=37692
              My friend, I owned an electric car (Chevy Volt) for 3 years and we loved it. I'm just not on board with the green thing because it mostly isn't true.

              I can get on board with a nationalist view of electricity since we do, indeed, make it right here in the states. I think the electric car proponents would do well to shift their mantra to the patriotic theme rather than the green thing.

              63 percent of electricity in the U.S. is generated by fossil fuels. Until those power plants are replaced with something else...nuclear, solar, water, wind...that percentage is going to remain fairly constant for a good number of years yet. There is far more pollution generated by getting you your 200 miles in the Tesla than 200 miles in a combustible engine car. That fact is well-founded.

              Meanwhile, that oil comes from those "plotting against our national interest" is smaller all the time: U.S. and Canada account for 54 percent of the oil consumed in the U.S.

              As for those solar panels on your roof top, well they aren't exactly the cleanest or most efficient things either:

              https://grist.org/article/2010-01-06-solars-dirty-little-secret/.

              https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ility-ranking/

              https://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech...n-as-you-think

              https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...-clean-energy/

              https://asiancorrespondent.com/2011/...-solar-panels/

              https://news.energysage.com/solar-panels-toxic-environment/

              www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/08/AR2008030802595.html?referrer=emailarticle


              http://environmentalprogress.org/big...r-waste-crisis

              https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-07-...ns-report.html

              https://washington.cbslocal.com/2013...minated-water/
              Last edited by TexasHusker; 06-02-2019, 12:57 PM.
              How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                One piece of the puzzle is cost, though. Mile for mile, is it actually cheaper to operate an electric vehicle than a comparable gas-powered one? I guess that depends on the cost of electricity in your area. And what happens with those mobile charging stations? Are they free or do you swipe a credit card? I have no idea how that works.
                With our Volt, it took about $.88 to charge the car, as it took about 11 kilowatt hours to charge it, and I believe our rate per-kilowatt-hour at the time was about $.08. We would get about 36 miles out of the electricity. So that would bring us to about $.025 per mile. Cheaper than petrol to be sure. The electric car also requires far less maintenance as there are way fewer moving parts. I actually like the electric car in concept. But even if your power for the thing comes 50 percent from a fossil fuel plant and 50 percent from the sun, it pollutes more than a combustible car. That's just a fact.

                We bought the Volt because we really liked the concept and kind of bought in to the whole green energy thing. But after a while, the thing seemed awfully cramped, and the light went on regarding how dirty the cars were after some research.
                How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Fact #1

                  At $2.65/kwh for solar, it cost 4000 dollars after tax credit to fully be on sun powering just your car.

                  No other fact matters. You can make up this difference in 2 years if compared to gas prices.

                  So no I am not waiting for a climate change denier in the WH to get the air cleaner. All it cost is $4000 to tell the government and all your studies to F off.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Singuy View Post
                    Fact #1

                    At $2.65/kwh for solar, it cost 4000 dollars after tax credit to fully be on sun powering just your car.

                    No other fact matters. You can make up this difference in 2 years if compared to gas prices.

                    So no I am not waiting for a climate change denier in the WH to get the air cleaner. All it cost is $4000 to tell the government and all your studies to F off.
                    The world has been warming since the Ice Age.
                    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      That great Texas. Currently 97% of the scientist think this is a problem. But even if 10% of the scientists think it's a problem, that is 10% too much. I am not going to gamble my grand childrens life but you do you.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        ZERO warming since 2000
                        Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Folks, let's stay on topic discussing Tesla. If this is turning into a debate about climate change, I think we're off track. Especially if it gets political or personal, the thread may be closed.
                          Steve

                          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Let's just pretend climate change is fake. Foreign oil funds terrorism and causes countless of lives from mining, fire,war and CO poisoning. I had a patient died the other day due to a fire at a gas station because he was smoking.

                            If you get a chance to be free from the Monopoly that's the electric company, you should.

                            We now have the ability to be free of this dirty substance for the most part. I understand oil makes a lot of products we need, but the main usage of fossil fuel can be minimized today.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Following on Disneysteves excellent comments, two things on Tesla;

                              First, Musk is BUYING, no selling. Here is his latest disclosure. He picked up 175,000 shares at 31 bucks a share via a trust.

                              Second, here is a link to their 10-Q. Between 2018 and 2019, I'm seeing their sales are up, losses from operations are down and their overall financial picture has stayed about the same.

                              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                              202.468.6043

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                SpaceX is now worth more than Tesla and you can bet every dollar that musk will buy off Tesla if he need to if the stock is heading to zero and take it private himself.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X