X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randomsaver
    replied
    Originally posted by riverwed070707 View Post
    Was just about to pop on and see how people's portfolios were doing. I've had a decent bounce back this month. Without any contributions yet, I'm up 2% for Jan but over the last 12 months, my gains are less than my contributions...can't figure out if that's actually a negative ROI or still positive since my end is still higher than my start. My math brain isn't working. Does anyone have a calc for this or want to crunch the numbers for me? Seems like it shouldn't be that complicated but I do believe in the 10 years since I started my 401k this is the first time my end balance wasn't higher than my start + contributions.

Start: $147,134
    End: $158,053
    Contributions: $15,334
    You did very well considering last year's massacre.

Leave a comment:

• JBinKC
    replied
    I added 7% allocation to stocks during the month of Dec but still far below what I call a normal level.

Leave a comment:

• srblanco7
    replied

Thatís what I was thinking. Thanks. Did my 401k just do exceptionally poorly or is this a common trend this year? Itís company managed
    I don't believe that your results would be uncommon for returns over the prior year (for funds invested in the stock market). Using the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund as a surrogate for comparison, that fund is down approximately 7% over the last year.

Leave a comment:

• riverwed070707
    replied
    Originally posted by srblanco7 View Post

If you subtract your contributions from your End value, the result is $142,719. Comparing that value with the Start value you provided, indicates a negative ROI of approximately 3% exclusive of your contributions.
    Thatís what I was thinking. Thanks. Did my 401k just do exceptionally poorly or is this a common trend this year? Itís company managed

Leave a comment:

• srblanco7
    replied
    Was just about to pop on and see how people's portfolios were doing. I've had a decent bounce back this month. Without any contributions yet, I'm up 2% for Jan but over the last 12 months, my gains are less than my contributions...can't figure out if that's actually a negative ROI or still positive since my end is still higher than my start. My math brain isn't working. Does anyone have a calc for this or want to crunch the numbers for me? Seems like it shouldn't be that complicated but I do believe in the 10 years since I started my 401k this is the first time my end balance wasn't higher than my start + contributions.

If you subtract your contributions from your End value, the result is $142,719. Comparing that value with the Start value you provided, indicates a negative ROI of approximately 3% exclusive of your contributions.

Leave a comment:

• riverwed070707
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Randomsaver
    replied
    Sadly ours do not allow backdoor.

Leave a comment:

• LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    so did i. I'm not down a lot turns out. I am waiting for my roth deposits to clear the backdoor rollover

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Lots of people panic sold. There was one thread here about it. I held steady though, as I said in that thread, once prices bounced back I did make some changes and got rid of a fund Iíve been thinking about selling anyway and trimmed back on another.

Leave a comment:

• bjl584
    started a topic I've seen a decent recovery in my portfolio

I've seen a decent recovery in my portfolio

I looked at my accounts last night and I've recouped quite a bit of my losses from December's crash.
    I hope no one out there panic sold...
Working...
X