Why has the stock market been falling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why has the stock market been falling?

Is there a specific reason why the stock market has been falling the last week? Is this something we can expect for all of 2015, or it is something that happens at the beginning of every year? Is there something in it that should have me worried?

Probably many factors, such as profit taking, fear of eventual monetary tightening, uncertainty of what events lower energy prices will trigger, the list goes on without clear knowledge of which is most significant. "As goes January, so goes the year."

Comment

Well its like they say...what goes up must come down. Im no genius but for ive seen over the years...the market goes up and the market goes down. In 30 years from now this will hardly be noise.

Comment

If you're asking about the past few days, then it's mostly the collapsing oil market. The energy sector is selling off and the selling is bleeding into the broader market.
        Brian

Comment

Assuming you are investing for a retirement which is years/decades away, you need to learn to ignore short-term fluctuations.

As John Bogle says, "Don't just do something, sit there!"

Read this: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogle...g_start-up_kit
          seek knowledge, not answers
          personal finance

Comment

For those that are new to this, it is actually a good buying opportunity. Have a look at your allocation. Understand that the stock market operates on emotion. I'm guessing that oil patch executive are cashing in their holdings as there will be huge swaths of layoffs in that volatile industry. There is [again] turmoil in Greece, several EURO countries will need to drop out of that currency. It's a wonderful idea but so many countries just don't play by the rules they agreed to. Add in to the mix... lame duck gov't, Obama status, consumer debt and the fury of power Putin vs USA etc.

Comment

I assumed it was because of oil prices falling. I took it as a good time to max both IRA's yesterday and get it done for the year.

Comment

There is no specific reason for stock market down, sometime it goes up or comes down. It depend upon situations. But now the main reason is because big Oil hits and brakes on sale spending.

Comment

Working...
                X