The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

hosed by mutual of omaha

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hosed by mutual of omaha

    I have a 1 year noncallable cd from first arizona bank which matures in jan. 2009. They were recently on the verge of failure and acquired by mutual of omaha. I received a notice from my broker, through which I purchased said cd, that mutual of omaha was reseting the interest rate 1.82% lower than my contracted rate, effective Sept 22. Basically they are calling the cd and giving me what amounts to the lower end of current 3-4 month cd rates on the time remaining to maturity. I heard this was going to happen to indymac cd holders when and if the gov. ever found a buyer for that bank. Can they do this? (obviously they can). This seems like complete crap to me. if I buy a business I don't have the option of unilaterally renegotiating exsisting financial obligations and debts of the old owner. If I don't like what they have on their books I don't buy the business. By selling me a noncallable cd, they have entered into a contract with me that does not allow them to call the cd or change the interest rate. On top of that they are going to charge me a "reajustment fee" or some such load of crap. So they are charging me to rip me off. I doubt my brokerage (TD Ameritrade) will do diddly for me. They're in the same club of thieves and con artists, so what do you expect. If the bank had been allowed to fail the gov. would have owed me full priciple and interest. If I had had an indymac cd I'd be getting full interest until the gov. found a buyer at least. Should the gov. compensate me for the difference? Do I have any recourse, or do I just have to suck it up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I sure won't get any from the people who's salaries I'm paying (private or gov.). Like my daddy always told me, america: capitalism for the poor and middle class (middle who? what's that?), socialism for the rich and the corporate. Thank you.
Working...
X