Books on investing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books on investing

I want to get into investing but I'm not sure where to start. I know about 401k's, Roth IRA's, and different retirement funds; but I would like to learn about other ways to invest. Things like the stock market, mutual funds, etc.

So if anyone can recommend a couple books for me to get my feet wet, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bdizzle View Post
    I want to get into investing but I'm not sure where to start. I know about 401k's, Roth IRA's, and different retirement funds; but I would like to learn about other ways to invest. Things like the stock market, mutual funds, etc.

So if anyone can recommend a couple books for me to get my feet wet, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Check out Fool's School online

Comment

The Wall Street Journal, Guide to Understanding Money and Investing, might be a good start. I think it's out of print, but check your local library.

ISBN 0684869020
      Amazon.com: Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing (Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money & Investing): Books: Kenneth M. Morris

Comment

I recommend a subscription to Kiplinger's Personal Finance and/or Money Magazine. (Or read them at your local library.)

Comment

Here's a good classroom-type instruction that covers stocks, bonds, funds and portfolios:

Morningstar Classroom
          The easiest thing of all is to deceive one's self; for what a man wishes, he generally believes to be true.
          - Demosthenes

Comment

I'd suggest a book called "The Four Pillars of Investing"

Comment

Fool's School and Morning Star classroom are both great ways to learn about investing basics.

As for books, there's:
              You Have More Than You Think
              Personal Finance For Dummies
              Simple Stock Market
              Beating The Street
              One Up On Wall Street
              The Warren Buffet Way
              The Essays Of Warren Buffet
              The Intelligent Investor
              The Little Book That Beats The Market
              Real Money: Sane Investing In An Insane World
              Mad Money: Watch TV; Get Rich
              Common Stocks And Uncommon Profits
              Take On The Street

That list is by no means all inclusive, but it should give you a great start. Next time I'm in the office, I'll check my personal finance library and see if I missed any.

Comment

Martin Zweig's Winning on Wall Street is a very good book. Another good idea is to join the American Association of Individual Investors. You will learn immense information about the stock market there.

Comment

The Wealthy Barber An easy read
                  All Your Worth Elizabeth Warren and daughter - An easy read
                  Your Money or Your Life Joe Dominguez
                  The Only Investment Guide you'll Ever Need Andrew Tobias
                  Making the most of your Money Jane Quinn Bryant
                  Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey Is very popular now but has some religious undertones, but many like it.

Many or all of these books should be in your public library. I pick up little nuggets from each of the books that I read.

Comment

Another great book is "The Bogleheads' Guide To Investing". It heavily touts index funds (not much, if any, on individual stock investing) since it's written by Vanguard fund diehards, but it offers a good general overview of investing. And there's nothing wrong with index investing either
                    The easiest thing of all is to deceive one's self; for what a man wishes, he generally believes to be true.
                    - Demosthenes

Comment

Working...
                    X