Vitamins are a waste of money... right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

what I do is crush the vitamin pill and then sprinkle it onto the donut with some candy sprinkles. You've essentially converted junk food to health food. This isn't that hard.
    I can see why you're a millionaire. I would double like that comment if I could.
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

I can see why you're a millionaire. I would double like that comment if I could.
      I'm no millionaire. I'm just a borrower for hopefully 80 good years.
      How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Just to add: I forgot to mention probably the most important group for vitamins --women of child bearing age.

One example as to why vitamins are so important.
        "Neural tube defects are birth defects of the brain, spine, or spinal cord. They happen in the first month of pregnancy, often before a woman even knows that she is pregnant.... Getting enough folic acid, a type of B vitamin, before and during pregnancy prevents most neural tube defects."
        link: https://medlineplus.gov/neuraltubedefects.html

Grain products are fortified with folic acid in the US, but what if you don't eat any grains?

Comment

FOLic acid-----> FOLiage. Eat your green leafy vegetables.

"not once in 26 years, have I ever seen a patient with a normal Vitamin D level unless they were already taking a supplement." --DS

My doctor, knowing I spend hours a day outdoors, said he figured my Vitamin D level was good because of sun exposure. We had just tested, so we knew it was good. I explained to him that barely a square centimeter of my skin sees any sun. I cover up as any other pale, freckled, burns-in-15-minutes person wants to do. I also have been using sunscreen since I first found out about its existence back in the early '70s.... Nope, I take a Vit.D supplement.
          "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
            FOLic acid-----> FOLiage. Eat your green leafy vegetables.

"not once in 26 years, have I ever seen a patient with a normal Vitamin D level unless they were already taking a supplement." --DS

My doctor, knowing I spend hours a day outdoors, said he figured my Vitamin D level was good because of sun exposure. We had just tested, so we knew it was good. I explained to him that barely a square centimeter of my skin sees any sun. I cover up as any other pale, freckled, burns-in-15-minutes person wants to do. I also have been using sunscreen since I first found out about its existence back in the early '70s.... Nope, I take a Vit.D supplement.
            Yep. We aren't an agrarian society anymore. Haven't been for a couple of generations. We live, work, and play indoors for the most part. And when we are outdoors, anybody with half a brain slathers on sunscreen. We just don't get much natural Vit D like our ancestors did. They're still learning the significance of that but we know it's important. It's also necessary to adequately absorb calcium (which is part of why they add Vit D to milk).

I honestly don't know if my vitamin helps or not, but like I said, for less than $1/month, I'm willing to give it a shot.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I take several supplements, including D & B. I take what my doctor orders. Unfortunately, I prefer the more expensive brands (think organic) that don't have a bunch of random ingredients in them.

Comment

I use an inexpensive daily multivitamin (Costco's huge bottle is $15-$20 for a year's supply?), and also take Vit.D in the winter. How effective are they? I dunno. Vit.D definitely helps me to not be as stressed/depressed/short-tempered during Alaska's long, dark winters. As for the multivitamin, it's inexpensive and almost certainly doesn't hurt anything.... So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, and hope that it makes up for any random deficiencies in my generally-healthy diet. Definite, clearly proven benefits also exist for pregnant women, as mentioned. I've also found that B-Vitamins in the morning do help me to be more alert/awake/attentive during the day, though I don't take those with any regularity.

But man....I'd love a box of those donuts right now....
                Last edited by kork13; 06-10-2019, 09:47 PM.
                "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post

Ah - an interesting point. You know I've been on a bit of a weight loss journey. I was chatting with a nutritionist who said getting those nutrients from food is better than a supplement, or in this case, a protein shake. But is it realistic to think we can get all our vitamins and nutrients from the foods we eat all the time? I definitely feel better when I get my 4-5 small, yet nutritious meals a day, for sure... and cut down on my caffeine.

I still take this multivitamin daily and fish oil (that is supposed to help with inflammation from the gym, etc. but I'm not sure how much I believe it. At the very least, it has increased my hair and nail growth).
                  Real food always wins over supplements.

Supplements are just that, supplements.
                  I use them mainly for convenience and when I am pressed for time to get in a real meal.
                  Brian

Comment

After reading all of these I feel I should probably get my Vitamin D levels checked LOL.

I am definitely going to look into getting a cheaper multivitamin since so many of you have pointed out you can get a year's worth for so cheap! But I'm glad to know I'm not totally wasting my money with it.

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post
                      But I'm glad to know I'm not totally wasting my money with it.
                      Well, you might still be wasting your money but at $1/month, I'm willing to risk it.
                      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Vitamins do make your pee yellow, so at least for $1 a month, you are spicing your life up with some color.
                        How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

interesting topic
                          I am now more amused then ever at all the hype and ads to sell supplements and vitamins. I always have felt most were just washed out as colorful waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post
                            interesting topic
                            I am now more amused then ever at all the hype and ads to sell supplements and vitamins. I always have felt most were just washed out as colorful waste.
                            This seems to be true in some cases but not all, I suppose. Multis and some of the B/D vitamins seem to be worth the money, but most others aren't.

Comment

I think some of you need to drink more water, because I take fistfuls of supplements and my pee is never yellow. I even take turmeric and multivitamins, and yet no yellow. Hydrate yourselves.

On a serious note, always get your Vit D checked. I'm a Polaka that gets so much sun that I have permanent farmer's tan on my shoulders and I haven't been able to even out my wrist brace tan lines for 2 years. I still have to take 50,000 units of Vit D every week just to be average. I get my levels checked every 6 months with all of my other blood tests for RA, and I'm barely average after taking it for 5 years. And I'm outdoorsy. I camp, swim, kayak, fish, hike, all that stuff. It doesn't matter if you think you get enough sun. It matter how you body uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                                I think some of you need to drink more water, because I take fistfuls of supplements and my pee is never yellow. I even take turmeric and multivitamins, and yet no yellow. Hydrate yourselves.

On a serious note, always get your Vit D checked. I'm a Polaka that gets so much sun that I have permanent farmer's tan on my shoulders and I haven't been able to even out my wrist brace tan lines for 2 years. I still have to take 50,000 units of Vit D every week just to be average. I get my levels checked every 6 months with all of my other blood tests for RA, and I'm barely average after taking it for 5 years. And I'm outdoorsy. I camp, swim, kayak, fish, hike, all that stuff. It doesn't matter if you think you get enough sun. It matter how you body uses it.
                                People definitely don't hydrate enough! I have been leading a small fitness group via Facebook. Most folks don't even drink a liter of water daily. It blows my mind!

I'm definitely going to check into my Vitamin D levels - I'm sure I'm not getting enough and could probably use a supplement.

Comment

Working...
                                X