No announcement yet.

Vitamins are a waste of money... right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamins are a waste of money... right?

So, I am a multivitamin-every-morning kind of person but my husband and I got into a debate recently about it. I nudged him to take his (which he usually forgets to do). He said that he read vitamins were a waste of money and don't usually do much of anything. After I did a bit of research on my own, I'm feeling like I've wasted a bit of money on a daily multivitamin - probably about $120 per year.

Any thoughts on this? Is there any benefit behind taking a multivitamin (or any other vitamin) or am I just wasting $120 a year?

Here's my take as a physician.

I'm not convinced that a multivitamin is completely worthless. For example, I can tell you that never, not once in 26 years, have I ever seen a patient with a normal Vitamin D level unless they were already taking a supplement.

I'm also not convinced that expensive vitamins are necessarily better than cheaper versions.

You're spending $120/year. I take a daily multivitamin also. I spend about $12.00/year, just under $1.00/month. I'm willing to do that and hope that they are doing at least some good for me. They certainly don't do any harm but I wouldn't spend much more for them.

FYI - I take the Target brand version of Centrum.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

each morning, I eat a chocolate donut and a vitamin pill to spell it off. Seems to be working. I am not a doctor, but I used to play one on TV.
      How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
        each morning, I eat a chocolate donut and a vitamin pill to spell it off. Seems to be working. I am not a doctor, but I used to play one on TV.
        Um...are you kidding about the doughnut part? I get the impression you're a healthy, fit energetic person.
        james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
          Funny enough - my grandfather did the same. Played tennis and was extremely fit up until 3 months before he died (at age 84). He died from a brain tumor, but the donuts definitely didn't have an impact on that haha.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            Here's my take as a physician.

I'm not convinced that a multivitamin is completely worthless. For example, I can tell you that never, not once in 26 years, have I ever seen a patient with a normal Vitamin D level unless they were already taking a supplement.

I'm also not convinced that expensive vitamins are necessarily better than cheaper versions.

You're spending $120/year. I take a daily multivitamin also. I spend about $12.00/year, just under $1.00/month. I'm willing to do that and hope that they are doing at least some good for me. They certainly don't do any harm but I wouldn't spend much more for them.

FYI - I take the Target brand version of Centrum.
            Wow! That seems like a good deal! I seem to get a month's worth around $10. I may have to try a different brand... I'm glad to know I haven't been wasting my money completely buying vitamins though haha.

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Um...are you kidding about the doughnut part? I get the impression you're a healthy, fit energetic person.
              I am fit as a fiddle. I have a massive muscle topped with my belly button that is gradually getting bigger in preparation for an extended winter.

Comment

Doughnuts are the bomb.

james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

I don't deal too much in multis, but I can say that taking extra protein definitely helps in the gym. Recovery and strength levels seem better when I get more protein and calories in general.
                  Not sure if that's good or bad. It's just my take.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
                    I don't deal too much in multis, but I can say that taking extra protein definitely helps in the gym. Recovery and strength levels seem better when I get more protein and calories in general.
                    Not sure if that's good or bad. It's just my take.
                    Ah - an interesting point. You know I've been on a bit of a weight loss journey. I was chatting with a nutritionist who said getting those nutrients from food is better than a supplement, or in this case, a protein shake. But is it realistic to think we can get all our vitamins and nutrients from the foods we eat all the time? I definitely feel better when I get my 4-5 small, yet nutritious meals a day, for sure... and cut down on my caffeine.

I still take this multivitamin daily and fish oil (that is supposed to help with inflammation from the gym, etc. but I'm not sure how much I believe it. At the very least, it has increased my hair and nail growth).

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
                      Doughnuts are the bomb.

Those look delicious! Now I don't care about vitamins... and just want a donut LOL

Comment

I'd say it depends. I used to think they were a waste of money ... until I got older--And, also I have been doing low carb-ish diet for a while, so I think a multivitamin can maybe help in case something is missed. I think older people (I'm "older" ) have trouble adsorbing Vitamin D, too. Anyway, I decided to start taking vitamins and I have feel like I have more energy. ( I had a recent blood test that still showed vitamin D deficient and low B12, so I probably have to beef up the dosage. ) ... Maybe the donuts would make all the difference?
                        Last edited by Like2Plan; 06-10-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Took multi vitamins for a long time, ran out and quit taking them. It's been a couple years now and I've not noticed anything, blood work still fine at check ups, etc.
                          Probably won't buy them anymore unless my doc recommends it.

Comment

[QUOTE=amastewa93;n704067]
                            I was chatting with a nutritionist who said getting those nutrients from food is better than a supplement/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Always better to get things in their natural form rather than from a manufactured source.

A big part of the problem today is that people will take a handful of supplements every morning but then eat an Egg McMuffin for breakfast, order a pizza for lunch, and throw in a TV dinner at night and then wonder why they aren't healthier. Supplements should be just that. They should supplement a healthy, well-balanced diet. They do not replace the healthy diet.
                            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post

Those look delicious! Now I don't care about vitamins... and just want a donut LOL
                              what I do is crush the vitamin pill and then sprinkle it onto the donut with some candy sprinkles. You've essentially converted junk food to health food. This isn't that hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X