Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tapping into the emergency fund for health care?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post

    Unfortunately, all four teeth are impacted so local anesthesia isn't an option. Traveling far isn't either - because we just moved here, my husband doesn't have any time off yet and will need to accompany me to the procedure and return to work after. We don't have any family in the area to ask for help with it. So going far outside our area just wouldn't make sense for us at this time.

    I did call around about dental clinics but many of them said I made too much to be considered a small/low income to be eligible for any type of payment plan or discounted procedure.
    Hey at least you tried - never hurts to ask!

    FYI if your teeth are impacted, you'll need to be off work a bare minimum of 4 days FOLLOWING the surgery.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

      Hey at least you tried - never hurts to ask!

      FYI if your teeth are impacted, you'll need to be off work a bare minimum of 4 days FOLLOWING the surgery.
      That is what they said. I'm hoping to be able to schedule it towards the end a week so I won't miss many work days, but at this point will get in whenever they can fit me in!

      Comment


      • #18
        I think you have done the homework in asking about options and planning to have the least impact on your finances.

        While I agree if the only way to make payments is the care card that may be the best option.
        With that being said I find these card/plans are the worst. they KNOW a good percentage of people will not payoff in the time frame given and may not have other options.

        If I had a dollar for every person I personally knew that signed up and got taken by this type of credit with 0% for 6,9,12 months then jump to an astronomical rates, I would have a pretty hefty sum.
        Most of the people whom I have witnessed this with thought "yeah no problem I can pay it off in that time etc" and then got soaked. I would make sure you get rid of this ASAP. Many of those i knew thought "it is at zero so I can push off a month or two" then before they realized it time was up.

        One friend had huge% rates charged retro from day one since she missed the 0% no interest deadline, it was a real wake up call that makes me leery of any of these.



        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post
          I think you have done the homework in asking about options and planning to have the least impact on your finances.

          While I agree if the only way to make payments is the care card that may be the best option.
          With that being said I find these card/plans are the worst. they KNOW a good percentage of people will not payoff in the time frame given and may not have other options.

          If I had a dollar for every person I personally knew that signed up and got taken by this type of credit with 0% for 6,9,12 months then jump to an astronomical rates, I would have a pretty hefty sum.
          Most of the people whom I have witnessed this with thought "yeah no problem I can pay it off in that time etc" and then got soaked. I would make sure you get rid of this ASAP. Many of those i knew thought "it is at zero so I can push off a month or two" then before they realized it time was up.

          One friend had huge% rates charged retro from day one since she missed the 0% no interest deadline, it was a real wake up call that makes me leery of any of these.


          We were concerned about that possibly happening with us too. We actually decided to suck it up and save the money. For now, antibiotics and immense amounts of ibuprofen are keeping me from being in too much pain. We should have the cash towards the end of the month and schedule something early in July. While the Care Card gave us the option to get it done now... it still sets us back on our debt payoff plan. We've done awesome in paying a bit more than $20K in the past year and both of us hate the idea of adding to that. So, unless something crazy happens, we are going to pay in cash.

          Comment


          • #20
            I am not sure where you live, but I know several people who have gone to Juarez Mexico and gotten a lot of dental work done for basically a fraction of what it costs in the states. I had forgotten to mention that.
            How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
              I am not sure where you live, but I know several people who have gone to Juarez Mexico and gotten a lot of dental work done for basically a fraction of what it costs in the states. I had forgotten to mention that.
              My uncle did that - he had complications.
              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
              202.468.6043

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

                My uncle did that - he had complications.
                During his trip, or during his procedure?
                How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

                  During his trip, or during his procedure?
                  After the procedure - the doc botched the job.
                  james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                  202.468.6043

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                    I am not sure where you live, but I know several people who have gone to Juarez Mexico and gotten a lot of dental work done for basically a fraction of what it costs in the states. I had forgotten to mention that.
                    I cringed a little reading that but I know a few people who have done that in the past as well (nose jobs and other procedures). We are in Atlanta, so it would be a bit of a trek. I am not sure it is something I'd consider. Plus, I need a bit more dental work done within the year. I have gum disease (inherited from family), and also may need some other work done, so I would like to make the connections locally.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

                      After the procedure - the doc botched the job.
                      That is terrifying! Especially with teeth. A family friend had an infection in her mouth because of a botched dental job. She got sepsis and fell into a coma for 2 months!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Yeah that could be pretty scary. I had a lady who worked for me once, her and her husband went to Mexico and had whole mouths of dental work done on the cheap. I think in their case they were happy. Dental work is crazy expensive. I've spent $6000 on dental work for my son (wisdom teeth), daughter (12 cavities, and my wife (crown) just since the first of the year. Yours truly won't be going to the dentist any time soon for fear what they'll tell me.
                        How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                          Yeah that could be pretty scary. I had a lady who worked for me once, her and her husband went to Mexico and had whole mouths of dental work done on the cheap. I think in their case they were happy. Dental work is crazy expensive. I've spent $6000 on dental work for my son (wisdom teeth), daughter (12 cavities, and my wife (crown) just since the first of the year. Yours truly won't be going to the dentist any time soon for fear what they'll tell me.
                          I believe the folks I've heard about going to Mexico typically had family there. I'd possibly feel better about it if that were the case.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Medical tourism is big business. As healthcare has gotten more and more costly in the US, more and more people are leaving the country to have things done. Certainly you need to do your homework but there are facilities that rival anything we have here where you can have virtually anything done you could possibly need or want and it's all done at a tiny fraction of the cost even when you include travel costs.
                            Steve

                            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              This place is making a splash. Basically a cash-only hospital with published pricing. Pick your body part and they will give you a price. Folks coming in from all over the country.

                              https://surgerycenterok.com/
                              How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                                This place is making a splash. Basically a cash-only hospital with published pricing. Pick your body part and they will give you a price. Folks coming in from all over the country.

                                https://surgerycenterok.com/
                                That's kind of cool! I didn't see wisdom teeth extraction on there - but it is definitely an interesting way to post prices!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X