No announcement yet.

PSA: If you're ripped off, here is where to complain:

This is a sticky topic.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    PSA: If you're ripped off, here is where to complain:

    If you get ripped off or are having a consumer service issue, here are some things you can do to complain effectively:

    This works for overcharging related problems, service problems, unfair or deceptive practices, or the like. Most of these mechanisms get the issue addressed in a couple of weeks:


    Banks/student loans/credit reports/debt collectors, etc:

    Health insurance: Google "[state where you live] health insurance complaint" and select the government agency that will let you file a consumer complaint.

    It's usually an insurance commissioner. Here's the form for Texas:


    Cell phone:

    Other companies like (home security system, eBay, Amazon, or contractors):

    Google "[your state] attorney general consumer complaint."

    Problems with your landlord (won’t return your deposit, won’t fix something etc): google “[your city] tenant advocate.” You can usually get good advice.

    If you're in crisis and your life is falling apart, (out of money, need a place to stay, free health care or mental services etc): Call/text 211. This is usually a local guide to health and social services. It may not be available in all cities.

    Do you know any other major sites where you can file complaints? Please feel free to share them!
    Last edited by james.hendrickson; 05-28-2018, 08:19 AM. Reason: grammar and formatting