Just saved $80 rebooking a hotel reservation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've posted this tip in the past but I thought I'd mention it again.

We are leaving on vacation tomorrow. We'll be staying at 2 different hotels. The first one is locked in as it is sold out due to a convention but the second one is not. I went to their website and checked the rate for our stay. As often happens, the current rate is lower than the rate I got when I made the reservation.

I booked a new reservation and, once it was confirmed, went back and cancelled the original reservation. The total charge dropped from $1,197.68 to $1,117.84, a savings of $79.84 for the same room type in the same hotel for the same dates. I'll take that.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Heck yeah
    retired in 2009 at the age of 39 with less than 300K total net worth

Comment

Woot!
      [email protected]

Comment

woow...
        smart work..disneysteve

Comment

I thought I'd bump up this thread as I just took advantage of this tip again.

We are going on vacation in October. I booked our hotel on July 3.
          I just went in and checked the rates again. I was able to rebook - same hotel, same dates, same room type - and save $184.24 in the process. It's a 5-night stay so that's a savings of nearly $37/night.

Any time you are traveling, make sure to recheck the hotel rate at least once before you go. Rates can sometimes drop significantly. This time we saved over 10% off the original price.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            I thought I'd bump up this thread as I just took advantage of this tip again.

Any time you are traveling, make sure to recheck the hotel rate at least once before you go. Rates can sometimes drop significantly. This time we saved over 10% off the original price.
            What were the cancellation policies?

Do you usually book the newest reservation first then cancel the existing reservation?

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
              What were the cancellation policies?

Do you usually book the newest reservation first then cancel the existing reservation?
              Cancellation was 24 hours before arrival so I was way in advance of that.

Yes, I make the new reservation first and then cancel the original one just in case.
              Steve

Comment

Rebooking is certainly the way to go. Twice a year I go to Vegas on a guys trip and we all stay at Harrahs. For next months trip I've rebooked 6 times already for a cheaper rate. So many people book a hotel and never look back, I've already cut my price in half by rebooking.

ps: When I go with my wife we stay at a nicer property but Harrahs is the perfect place for an inexpensive stay with a great location.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                  We are going on vacation in October. I booked our hotel on July 3.
                  I just went in and checked the rates again. I was able to rebook - same hotel, same dates, same room type - and save $184.24 in the process. It's a 5-night stay so that's a savings of nearly $37/night.
                  I just cancelled and rebooked again and knocked off another $10. So the total savings from the original reservation is now $194! I'll check again in a couple of weeks.
                  Steve

Comment

I'm bumping this up to share another success story.

We are going away for a few days this coming weekend. I just made the reservation last Sunday. Total cost for 2 rooms for 2 nights was $778.

I was just able to cancel and rebook for $738, saving us $40.

Since parking is $18/night, I basically saved the cost of parking for the stay.

Anytime you are planning a hotel stay, be sure to check back periodically and see if the rate has dropped as your trip approaches. We have saved hundreds of dollars over the years by doing this.
                    Steve

Comment

My sister and I booked our hotels for New Years last week. I went through Orbitz, she went through Booking.com. I canceled my res because I noticed Orbitz was charging extra for my daughter for some reason, even though the hotel states that it is one rate for up to 4 people in the room. Booking wasn't charging the fee. Then I noticed that the hotel directly had better rooms cheaper, so we both canceled and booked through the hotel. We got 2 level suites with fireplaces at a water park for $184.50 per night, which was more than $20/night cheaper than the regular rooms on the booking sites.

We also saved about $300 each by booking a la carte instead of doing the skiing package. We only wanted to ski for one day.
                      Last edited by msomnipotent; 11-29-2017, 08:27 AM. Reason: typo drove me nuts

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                        We also saved about $300 each by booking al a carte instead of doing the skiing package.
                        I have often found it to be true that packages aren't a value. The problem is that packages are often based on rack rate for the room part of the package. So you're paying full price for the room and then maybe a slightly discounted rate for the add ons. It is often cheaper to find a discounted room rate and pay full price for the add ons.
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X