Clear All

• TexasHusker
    replied
    I was a toilet genie in Bombay.

Leave a comment:

• Wringer-Washer
    replied
    Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
    Bagger in a grocery store, mid-1970s, when young women doing that job was unheard of. Bagged groceries, loaded them in trunks, collected carts off parking lot, etc.

The chain of stores had been "reprimanded" for discriminating against women, so they hired two of us teen women on the spot when we applied. Later I found out that they were paying more to the young men hired for the exact same job the exact same day.
    And paper bags at that! I remember well!

Leave a comment:

• Joan.of.the.Arch
    replied
    Bagger in a grocery store, mid-1970s, when young women doing that job was unheard of. Bagged groceries, loaded them in trunks, collected carts off parking lot, etc.

The chain of stores had been "reprimanded" for discriminating against women, so they hired two of us teen women on the spot when we applied. Later I found out that they were paying more to the young men hired for the exact same job the exact same day.

Leave a comment:

• Wringer-Washer
    replied
    Babysitting for .25 - .50 cents an hour.

Leave a comment:

• veronak
    replied
    My first job

My first job was at McDonald's and I made $3.75 a hour. At the time my mom made me put up half my check but other than that she didn't teach me financial responsibilities like balancing my checkbook, why I should be saving etc.

Leave a comment:

• Shewillbemine
    replied
    I can't remember if it was fast food or swap meet (folding t-shirts).

I'm a big believer in everyone experiencing blue-collar/minimum wage work. It's good for the soul.

Leave a comment:

• NicolasR
    replied
    washed floor at my dad's firm was my first money earned!

Leave a comment:

• LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    $5.25 for washing dishes at 14.

Leave a comment:

• hamchan
    replied
    I cleaned motel rooms when I was 16. I don't remember what the pay rate was.

Leave a comment:

• Kaoru
    replied
    my first job was in Gr. 5, as a paper delivery boy.. $150 a month, I supplemented by getting more flyers from near by stores and slipping it into the paper. I guess that's my first 'aligned' business model. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Mandy63
    replied
    My first job was at a small Christian bookstore. I loved it. Met a lot of great people that I still keep in contact with to this day.

Leave a comment:

• Sammydabullz
    replied
    My first Job was a paper route at 13. After the first year I was running 3 routes. I rode my bicycle and walked the routes when it snowed. I did my paper routes for 3 years making nearly $150 a month.

Leave a comment:

• Gailete
    replied
    My first job at 11-12 was babysitting for 75 cents an hour before midnight and $1/h after midnight. One night the folks came home and the guy was drunk (so he said he wouldn't be driving me home) and asked my what I owed him. He reversed it and paid me $5.75 instead of $4.75. You better believe that was a significant mistake back in those days - LOL. Then I was self-employed selling Christmas cards door to door. I realized than I hated approaching people to get them bo buy something, but the thought of being my own boss never left me and now I sell stuff and never see my customers

After working my way through college, babysitting, grandpa-sitting, typing term papers, working in the library, working in the cafeteria, working cleaning toilets and the rest of the bathroom, and any job that needed to be done, I would do cheerfully. I graduated in 1977 and when I got home, my first paycheck job was parttime at Arby's for less than $2/hour if I recall correctly, AND I was totally self-supporting. The parttime evolved to fulltime within weeks and when I left for a better job a year later, I was the first one from that place to leave with a weeks notice! as everyone else had been fired or quit on the spot in the two years it was open! I've basically been supporting myself since I was 17 when I graduated HS in 1973. I also did three years of camp couseling at $10 a week. I helped a couple keep their house clean/ironing, etc. for a couple of weeks but lived in and we had unfortunately never discussed wages and when she went to pay me the first time she gave me a $10 bill folded into the smallest size she could get it and practically flung it at me. I lost a lot of respect for them then as if my work wasn't satisfactory they should have told me, and if it was they should have treated my pay with more respect as well. I only got a decent paying job when I went to nursing school when I was 30.

Reading so many of the replies made me realize just how old I am for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Gailete
    replied
    Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post
    My first job was a 6 week stint for the local school district the summer I was 14. I worked 6 hours per day, 5 days per week and made minimum wage ($3.35 per hour).

The first week I worked in the high school library, cleaning and dusting books. Every book on every shelf had to be pulled out and wiped down.

Weeks 2 through 5 I was a teacher's assistant in a summer school class for primary grades (kiddos entering grades 1 through 3). This was back when summer school offered fun activities like art and music.

The last week I spent doing janitorial type stuff in the junior high campus.
    While it wasn't my first job, I did a six week stint myself although I was a summer school's teacher helper for six weeks. I learned when doing something for the government you are going to be waiting a good long time for your first paycheck. This was a program for disadvantaged youth, and would you believe that I got my first paycheck after working 5 weeks and was done with the job for three weeks befor I got my last one!

Leave a comment:

• scfr
    replied
    I had my first W2 job at 14, but I had my first "job for pay" before that. I think I was 10.

A neighbor's husband managed a clothing store.
    She did the inventory counts for the store and it involved tags that had been removed. Many of the tags had staples in them. She got tired of her fingers getting cut on the staples, so she hired me to go through the tags and pull out the staples before she started the count. I did that for a couple years during "inventory season" until we moved.

If my memory is correct, I got a tiny bit of piece pay and a glass of soda which was a real treat because we never had soda at home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X