Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dollar store raising prices. Sure sign of inflation

https://apple.news/AYAAnHBq8QSK5AFh40sfPOA

Dollar Tree is raising prices over $1 due to inflation. Honestly I’m amazed they’ve held on this long. I’ve always wondered how they manage it.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Makes sense but still disappointing. DT is our go to for movie snacks, party supplies and b-day birthday baskets! We can fill a whole cart and walk out having spent less than $40.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
      https://apple.news/AYAAnHBq8QSK5AFh40sfPOA

Dollar Tree is raising prices over $1 due to inflation. Honestly I’m amazed they’ve held on this long. I’ve always wondered how they manage it.
      Some of the stuff you can buy for a dollar is amazing. Wife just came back with some tombstones for the yard. I was thinking a pallet of those tombstone is like a few hundred dollars worth of sales, not even worth their shipping cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Singuy View Post

Some of the stuff you can buy for a dollar is amazing.
        Back when I used to sell on eBay regularly I occasionally bought and resold dollar store items. Especially with licensed merchandise like Coke logo items for example I was able to buy them for a dollar and make a decent profit reselling them.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Some of the stuff you can buy for a dollar is amazing.
          I'll have to re-visit the one here in town. My previous experience with this location was fairly poor. Most of what they had, to me, appeared to be one step above garbage. The entire store appeared to be a wreck. My personal view of the hierarchy of retail stores is:

Target > Walmart > Dollar General > Family Dollar > Dollar Store

While I realize there is a manner of scale and demographics between those I listed, I am *this close* to ranking Dollar General above Walmart.

I was thinking a pallet of those tombstone is like a few hundred dollars worth of sales, not even worth their shipping cost.
          I think this about ALOT of businesses. I don't see how a lot of small locations even pay the rent.

Comment

Originally posted by myrdale View Post

I'll have to re-visit the one here in town. My previous experience with this location was fairly poor. Most of what they had, to me, appeared to be one step above garbage. The entire store appeared to be a wreck. My personal view of the hierarchy of retail stores is:

Target > Walmart > Dollar General > Family Dollar > Dollar Store

While I realize there is a manner of scale and demographics between those I listed, I am *this close* to ranking Dollar General above Walmart.

I think this about ALOT of businesses. I don't see how a lot of small locations even pay the rent.
            The difference between Dollar Tree and other "dollar stores" is that it actually costs a dollar. At all of them, sometimes the quantities are slightly smaller than you'd get in other stores, sometimes the quality is not great, but for some items (think disposable party supplies - table cloths, serving platters, tableware, decor, etc) you don't need quality, you just need cheap. Why would I pay $5 for the same cheap stuff at Dollar General when I can actually buy it for a dollar at Dollar Tree?

Comment

My step-mother LOVES Dollar Tree, and is forever sending boxes of toys & treats from there to our boys. I/we cringe every time we see a box addressed from her, knowing the cheap junk that assuredly awaits inside....
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Hopefully it has not become the $100.00 store?

Comment

It's the end of the world as we know it! (only half joking here)

Here's what I buy at Dollar Tree:
                  • greeting cards (the splurge ones are $1 ... the regular ones are 2/$1)
                  • paper napkins (for Mom)
                  • puzzle books
                  • button cell batteries
                  • padded mailers
                  Last edited by scfr; 09-29-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I haven't been there in some time, but one of my best purchases was stacks of plastic dishpans which we use for harvest collection of fruit and vegetables. Ha, I went to every Dollar Tree in the city to get enough of them. They definitely are cheaply made so that we often have to use two of them nested together, but even doubling the effective price to $2, there was no more convenient, tidy, cleanable, storable, versatile solution.

We also habitually bought hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, name brand made in the US eyedrops, sisal and cotton string (use a lot in gardening), index cards, hanging baskets, vegetable seeds (10 - 25 cents), vinyl gloves, a strong detergent called "Awesome", and Monet vegetable crackers ($8 elsewhere). Oh, I've bought super cheap 3 for $1 one inch paint brushes a number of times for small projects.

I understand Dollar Tree is the go-to place for mylar helium balloons.

I remember the first time I went into one of these stores. I think it was called "Everything's a Dollar." I was so weirded out. DisneySteve, I remember they had a couple shelves of dated plastic Disney Christmas ornaments right next to a tremendous number of bars of soap-- a good brand, but I can't remember it. Next to that were neon pink buckets emblazoned with cartoon characters, very much like the white buckets restaurants take food ingredient deliveries in. Yes, dollar stores are weird places.
                    "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Not a fan of dollar stores. At all. I don't care what things cost there, I'm going to shop elsewhere.

Comment

Why is that, ua_guy? Is it because you might run into me there?
                        "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                          Heh, lol.
                          james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

We hit them now and then for certain items. My wife learned through some of her crafting groups that they have some great items for crafters. She's bought quite a few things there. My mom always gets her greeting cards there. Two for $1 when Hallmark wants $5.99 for cards that aren't any nicer. For folks just starting out and furnishing a first apartment or new home, they have some pretty nice glassware. Party decorations, gift bags, disposable serving platters, holiday decorations, and lots more. I generally avoid buying food or personal care products there as I don't entirely trust them, but most anything else is fine.
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                              I'd be delighted to meet! lol

No disagreement that dollar stores can be cheaper for some things. There are a few chains of them, however, that basically prey on certain demographics--and that's what I don't like. These same chains are known for not taking care of their employees. It's the same tired story of a big ugly corporation treating people terribly because it can, and because there isn't a sign that says "don't". And life goes on, and people shop there anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X