• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constitutional Right to Food in Maine

I came across the following article on Drudge this morning:

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/07/...right-to-food/

The summary of the amendment states:

"This constitutional resolution declares that all individuals have a natural, inherent and unalienable right to grow, raise, harvest, produce and consume the food of their own choosing for their own nourishment, sustenance, bodily health and well-being."

At face value it seems fairly simple, you have a right to have a garden in your back yard. Who would ever disagree with that?!

As much of a small government libertarian as I may be, upon thinking a little further, I am left scratching my head on this one.

I've heard cases in the past where local governments want to tax people for the food you grow and consume. Absolutely absurd. Those politicians should be tarred and feathered.

I've heard cases where states want to outlaw a co-op of people from raising cows and producing / drinking raw milk. Again, this is absurd, so long as it is for their own consumption.

Where it gets hairy for me is when you start selling to the public in general, because after all part of this is "consume the food of their own choosing".

Sure selling a bunch of turnips at a local farmer's market is rather innocuous. But how about selling canned goods, that could be contaminated with botulism toxin?

What if I raise corn for my own personal consumption, on a 100 acre farm, and sell the "extra" at the farmer's market, how about taxes?

And while I would think the FDA should have all this covered, I'm not convinced they necessarily have the nutritional health of Americans in mind either.

Where I live in PA you can grow whatever you want. But there is a difference between a backyard garden like I have and a 100 acre farm where cash crops are grown and sold to market. There are also ordinances in place that prevent people from having livestock unless they live in certain townships and have a minimum of a certain size lot of property.

I can only assume that there is something similar in place in Maine.
    No one in an apartment complex is going to be able to raise cattle for instance.

Brian

Comment

Gardens are great.

People raising chickens or a pig in residential areas....ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
        Gardens are great.

People raising chickens or a pig in residential areas....ugh.
        Yea - my first thought was "the raise part is going to be the problem." That's something anyone who has been woken by a neighbor's crowing rooster after only a couple hours sleep can attest to.

Comment

Working...
        X