Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What questions should I ask the realtor selling the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What questions should I ask the realtor selling the house?

We're meeting with the realtor tomorrow to list my cousin's house. We've never sold a house before. Any questions I should be asking that I may not have thought of?
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

There are really good realtors and really bad realtors.
    I've dealt with both types, both with buying and selling.

The best realtors that I've dealt with are ones that are not only knowledgeable about the local market but also knowledgeable about local building codes and laws.
    I had one realtor point out that the electrical box in a house I was looking at was commonly used back in the 1970's in that area.
    Apparently a local building supplier received an excess of them and every contractor in the area scooped them up.
    He also knew that they were extremely unsafe and weren't up to code.
    He also pointed out where there was evidence of a bug treatment in the basement from holes that had been bored into some cross beams.
    The knowledge that he had and the things that he knew to look for saved me a lot of time and money as a potential buyer.
    I would have been buying a money pit and not even known it until it was too late.

Best advice is to really pick their brains and see how deeply they understand the market, laws, codes, and construction.
    A good realtor will tell you what to fix, who to call to do it, and what you can expect to pay.
    They should have a really good feel for what the house is worth and how to correctly price it.
    I'd say it all starts with how promptly they call you back.
    When you meet pay attention to how much enthusiasm they have and how prepared they are.
    Good luck

Brian

Comment

I think next time I sell I am going to have more of a poker face. Let the agent talk. Stay alert to the games.

you may think they work for you and will be on your side but their job is to sell the house.

maybe I had a bad experience as a seller due to inexperience.

negotiate the agent fee too. Houses are selling themselves lately.

have you considered a Redfin agent?

Comment

What do they suggest you do to get the house ready to sell? An agent should have a discerning eye. Ideally they should have a few easy, inexpensive fixes to spruce the place up a bit ... nothing outrageous. When I asked this question of our last listing agent (who I thought was quite good) he said: power wash the driveway, buy an eye-catching front door mat, and get a pot of flowers for the back patio. Nothing dramatic or expensive, just a couple quick & relatively easy things to make the place more appealing and memorable.

Hopefully the agent will come prepared with lots of comps, and a price range idea (but not a fixed idea about price until seeing the inside of the place and hearing about what you want).

And as Jluke said, don't hesitate to negotiate the fee.

Comment

Hopefully the meeting went well? Looks like your post was from yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
            Hopefully the meeting went well? Looks like your post was from yesterday.
            Yes. I had already been unofficially working with this realtor for the past couple of weeks. He was referred by the attorney who I completely trust. Even though I hadn't signed a contract, the realtor has been incredibly helpful so it wasn't a question of whether or not to use him. I had already decided that. I just wanted input on anything I might not think to ask.

The meeting went very well. His wife, who works with him, came as well. I hadn't met her yet. And my wife is here and hadn't met either of them. After the meeting, she commented how much she liked them both as well. We asked a bunch of questions, reviewed the listing agreement line by line and made sure we understood everything, and I signed on.

We actually have a showing tomorrow. The sister of someone who lives in the development and was friends with my cousin. It would be awesome if she made an acceptable offer but we'll have to wait and see. She flew down from NY today just to see the house tomorrow so she seems seriously interested.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Honestly in this environment, I would just skip the realtor and put the house on zillow by owner. List that you will take offers only from people without realtors. I still don't understand how realtors are still a thing in the internet age. No clue why they deserve to make 5% off your house total amount for what they do which is a whole lot of nothing.

The title company is the only important workhorse, the realtor is just there to suck away your earnings.

Comment

I live in Los Angeles and sold my condo (Aug 2020) in Hawaii using a realtor there I've never met or seen. She was good and everything was done via Docusign (1st question you might ask is how will the transactions be handled). She recommended repairs and such which I agreed with. She also took care of the staging (ie, temporary rental home furnishings) which I believe she paid for because I never received a bill (2nd question you might ask if the realtor intends to stage the house and who pays). She also set the price based on comparables which I agreed and the property sold for said price.

Comment

QMM, everything you mentioned was covered.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                    QMM, everything you mentioned was covered.
                    So how much are they charging you and what are they covered? How much are they thinking of selling the house for? Is it what you expected?
                    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I've never been real thrilled with realtors.
                      When selling, their response to the potential buyer is typically either:
                      * Make them an offer at what you feel is a fair price.
                      * If this place seems too high priced, I'll be happy to show you some others.

A good realtor working in your behalf would try to close the deal as close to listed price as possible and actually do some "selling" -vs- just showing properties.
                      It's also in their best interest to get as much $$ as possible out of the sale, considering they are paid on a percentage.

It's not out of line to negotiate a lower realtor percentage if they can't get it sold at listed price.

Comment

Working...
                      X