Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who took the Juneteenth holiday yesterday?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bjl584
    replied
    I think we have gone far enough here.
    Endless arguing and no minds will ever be changed.
    Shutting this one down.

Leave a comment:

• ua_guy
    replied
    Originally posted by rennigade View Post

Unfortunately, the term racist is used so much it no longer carries any weight. Its nothing more than a way to discredit someone.

Someone could have a great point and another person will just throw out "you're racist." Sooo...how does one defend themselves at that point? "no im not" isnt a great response. "I have black friends" is even worse. Just another way to close the door on any valid point and win the debate.

Here's my fun experience with racism...we used to live in an apartment complex. We would get solicitors all the time, to the point where we would just walk past them in the halls and not acknowledge them. I came home from work one day, walked into building and a black kid (probably 19 or so) was standing there. He was with one of those energy suppliers, wanting people to switch energy to their company. He said "sir do you live here," I didnt say a word, didnt acknowledge him, just walked past him. He yells out "RACIST." Apparently you can be labeled a racist by not talking to people. This was well before any blm movement or rioting like we see now. We walked over to get the manager to ask them to leave. What happened next was beautiful. I started recording the kid (who was quiet now) and this other black girl that was with him, slightly older. She erupted, calling me a white mother f*cker. She started calling the apartment manager a f*ggot. I guess she was completely in the ok though. No problem at all with the way she was acting. I remember the last thing she said was "we f*cked this joint up," meaning they were able to get a lot of people to switch to their company. I assume they get some sort of commission from each person. I have the video somewhere, ill see if I can dig it up and post it to youtube then provide a link here. Audio kind of sucks though.
    Go ahead.

Prove beyond a doubt that you don’t understand.

First, by not acknowledging the argument above.

Then, by posting anecdotal evidence that black people were mean to you, racism isn’t what everyone thinks it is (it is), while garnering the likes of your echo chamber.

You felt so threatened by a black kid that you needed to video the interaction. Next time try, “Thanks, I’m not interested.”

Remember all the threads where you “not racists” say that poor black people need to try harder, get jobs?

What the **** do you think that kid was doing?

Leave a comment:

• rennigade
    replied
    Originally posted by ua_guy View Post

Then why wasn't every single right-wing extremist who beat, tased, murdered, and disobeyed officers at the capitol, threatening to kill politicians, some with weapons in their hands...why weren’t they laid out just the same? Why isn't every white guy in America calling them "thugs". Why are they patriots, and not rioters? Why did the president call them "very special"? Why are many of them only getting away with misdemeanors?

You make a very valid point, QMM. If being executed is the punishment for disobeying any command an officer gives, then why isn't the punishment applied equally? Why isn't the same rhetoric used to describe their actions? You didn't see any of the conservative racist guys in here post videos about the Capitol insurrection. They didn’t come in here to point out white guys disrespecting police officers and public servants or public property. That’s how you know they are racist, especially the ones who tried to blame it on BLM, who couldn’t acknowledge that their own white “patriots” did that.

It truly is OK for Juneteenth to be a holiday. Commemorating it as such is very symbolic, done with good intent. Racists will complain, they always do when the people they believe are unworthy and unequal to them are acknowledged or receive what they ask for.
    Unfortunately, the term racist is used so much it no longer carries any weight. Its nothing more than a way to discredit someone.

Someone could have a great point and another person will just throw out "you're racist." Sooo...how does one defend themselves at that point? "no im not" isnt a great response. "I have black friends" is even worse. Just another way to close the door on any valid point and win the debate.

Here's my fun experience with racism...we used to live in an apartment complex. We would get solicitors all the time, to the point where we would just walk past them in the halls and not acknowledge them. I came home from work one day, walked into building and a black kid (probably 19 or so) was standing there. He was with one of those energy suppliers, wanting people to switch energy to their company. He said "sir do you live here," I didnt say a word, didnt acknowledge him, just walked past him. He yells out "RACIST." Apparently you can be labeled a racist by not talking to people. This was well before any blm movement or rioting like we see now. We walked over to get the manager to ask them to leave. What happened next was beautiful. I started recording the kid (who was quiet now) and this other black girl that was with him, slightly older. She erupted, calling me a white mother f*cker. She started calling the apartment manager a f*ggot. I guess she was completely in the ok though. No problem at all with the way she was acting. I remember the last thing she said was "we f*cked this joint up," meaning they were able to get a lot of people to switch to their company. I assume they get some sort of commission from each person. I have the video somewhere, ill see if I can dig it up and post it to youtube then provide a link here. Audio kind of sucks though.
    Last edited by rennigade; 06-25-2021, 04:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Snydley
    replied

Then why wasn't every single right-wing extremist who beat, tased, murdered, and disobeyed officers at the capitol, threatening to kill politicians, some with weapons in their hands...why weren’t they laid out just the same? Why isn't every white guy in America calling them "thugs". Why are they patriots, and not rioters? Why did the president call them "very special"? Why are many of them only getting away with misdemeanors?

You make a very valid point, QMM. If being executed is the punishment for disobeying any command an officer gives, then why isn't the punishment applied equally? Why isn't the same rhetoric used to describe their actions? You didn't see any of the conservative racist guys in here post videos about the Capitol insurrection. They didn’t come in here to point out white guys disrespecting police officers and public servants or public property. That’s how you know they are racist, especially the ones who tried to blame it on BLM, who couldn’t acknowledge that their own white “patriots” did that.

It truly is OK for Juneteenth to be a holiday. Commemorating it as such is very symbolic, done with good intent. Racists will complain, they always do when the people they believe are unworthy and unequal to them are acknowledged or receive what they ask for.
    This. Well said ua_guy.

Leave a comment:

• ua_guy
    replied
    Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
    The way I see things it is behaviors that gets people killed, not race or ethnicity. However, Derick Chauvin is the exception where he went too far. Take the example of the black guy who went jogging and was killed by the son and father when confronted with guns. If I was the jogger, I would never walk towards a person with a gun. Quite the opposite, I would retreat and walk away. Or Philando Castillo who was in his car and shot by the cop. If I was in my car and the cop said show me your hands, I would not reach in my pockets. I would raise my hands as high as I could raise it. Or the black guy that was shot by the cop returning to his vehicle. I would not go back into my vehicle. I can go on and on. If I am stopped by the cops, I know for a fact that I will live and not get shot because my behaviors would not warrant getting shot. When will people learn, comply with the cops orders. It is only the people who don't comply who get shot.

Last edited by ua_guy; 06-23-2021, 09:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rennigade
    replied
    The way I see things it is behaviors that gets people killed, not race or ethnicity. However, Derick Chauvin is the exception where he went too far. Take the example of the black guy who went jogging and was killed by the son and father when confronted with guns. If I was the jogger, I would never walk towards a person with a gun. Quite the opposite, I would retreat and walk away. Or Philando Castillo who was in his car and shot by the cop. If I was in my car and the cop said show me your hands, I would not reach in my pockets. I would raise my hands as high as I could raise it. Or the black guy that was shot by the cop returning to his vehicle. I would not go back into my vehicle. I can go on and on. If I am stopped by the cops, I know for a fact that I will live and not get shot because my behaviors would not warrant getting shot. When will people learn, comply with the cops orders. It is only the people who don't comply who get shot.
    Your post isn't going to be popular with the SJW.

Leave a comment:

• TexasHusker
    replied
    I just put a bag of popcorn in the microwave.

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMillionMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rennigade
    replied
    That is a disturbing video. Not only for the disrespect of people getting shot and EMT workers trying to save lives. But the fact that these girls want to be on video doing that...what a great example. How exactly do you fix that mentality? More money certainly isnt going to help.

I lived in DC for 10 years. Not exactly a massive metro city like other areas, but there were a wide variety of people. My wife and I are glad we experienced it. A lot of people where we grew up (where we live now) never left. They are only familiar with their little bubble of existence. Also glad we were there before all these movements started happening and marches every other day. DC was always bad for that stuff...it just keeps ramping up.
    Last edited by rennigade; 06-23-2021, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ua_guy
    replied
    Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

I don't have to think too hard about it.
    It's on video

Maybe growing up in a rural area where I've never witnessed or being in the middle of something like that makes me sour on city life.
    I don't think that makes me part of the problem.
    I geographically grew up in a certain area, under certain circumstances, I happen to like where I live, so this is where I stay.
    If that makes me part of the problem, I am failing to connect those dots.
    A coworker of mine lives in the city. Loves it. Good for him. I'll just take a pass.

Maybe I'm close minded.
    But I like starry nights, crickets, the forest, and bonfires.
    It has nothing to do with choosing where to live, or enjoying bonfires and starry nights. I don't live in the city, either, and never will. Nobody is saying you should.

Leave a comment:

• bjl584
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

You truly are sheltered. I live in a city and I see folks twerking on ambulances at least once a day, maybe twice.
    I completely understand that this is not the "norm" in urban areas.
    This just happened to be recorded.

Leave a comment:

• TexasHusker
    replied
    Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

It's on video

Maybe growing up in a rural area where I've never witnessed or being in the middle of something like that makes me sour on city life.
    I geographically grew up in a certain area, under certain circumstances, I happen to like where I live, so this is where I stay.
    A coworker of mine lives in the city. Loves it. Good for him. I'll just take a pass.

Maybe I'm close minded.

You truly are sheltered. I live in a city and I see folks twerking on ambulances at least once a day, maybe twice.

Leave a comment:

• bjl584
    replied

Inexcusable as it is, it's also what years of systemic racism and economic inequality look like. Here we are, a presumably white guy complaining about a holiday he's not obligated to celebrate, and another claiming shock and horror at what he thinks "city life" is. And neither of you see yourselves as part of the problem.
    It's on video

Maybe I'm close minded.

Leave a comment:

• TexasHusker
    replied

The snark and ****posting could literally go on forever. What are you trying to prove here?
    Use the ignore feature.

Leave a comment:

• ua_guy
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

Well, I know for fact that today is National Hydration Day. Of course, with the drought out west due to all of us driving gas cars, it would be blatantly irresponsible to suggest that we all drink an extra glass of water in celebration.

We probably need to stick with twerking against ambulances whilst the responders do their work.
    The snark and ****posting could literally go on forever. What are you trying to prove here?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X