Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is dental insurance not on par with medical insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns out my appointment today was just a consultation. The dentist recommended an extraction, bone graft, and implant. Pretty much as HundredK explained but the dentist explained things in much greater detail. And X-rays were done. Alternative treatments were also discussed such as a bridge or partial denture. Long process.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
      Turns out my appointment today was just a consultation. The dentist recommended an extraction, bone graft, and implant. Pretty much as HundredK explained but the dentist explained things in much greater detail. And X-rays were done. Alternative treatments were also discussed such as a bridge or partial denture. Long process.
      Have you decided which treatment option you'll go with?

Comment

Also, how soon will you be able to get your tooth extracted (so you are not in pain)?
        Did you get an estimate of your OOP?

Comment

I just woke up and noticed I got all this attention. I'm not used to all this attention unlike Disneysteve who gets all the attention (joke, lol). Anyway, I digress. To answer some of your questions. The pain greatly subsided and I can now chew food again to some degree on that side but not totally. As for the cost the dentist quoted $1250 for the extraction and bone graft. But if some kind of animal tissue is added to build up more bone the costs could go higher. I requested that the implant route be done as opposed to a bridge or partial implant. The dentist agreed that an implant would be the best treatment to take. The dentist wasn't able to give me a further cost estimate due to the procedure could be more complicated. As for the next appointment, I'll have to wait for the scheduler to call me back. The dentist and scheduler were looking at the computer trying to figure out the closest date in May but June was the earliest which I would have accepted but they insisted on getting me scheduled for May. So the saga continues.

Comment

I just woke up and noticed I got all this attention. I'm not used to all this attention unlike Disneysteve who gets all the attention (joke, lol). Anyway, I digress. To answer some of your questions. The pain greatly subsided and I can now chew food again to some degree on that side but not totally. As for the cost the dentist quoted $1250 for the extraction and bone graft. But if some kind of animal tissue is added to build up more bone the costs could go higher. I requested that the implant route be done as opposed to a bridge or partial implant. The dentist agreed that an implant would be the best treatment to take. The dentist wasn't able to give me a further cost estimate due to the procedure could be more complicated. As for the next appointment, I'll have to wait for the scheduler to call me back. The dentist and scheduler were looking at the computer trying to figure out the closest date in May but June was the earliest which I would have accepted but they insisted on getting me scheduled for May. So the saga continues.
            Oh man, not having your jaw work is like not having your knees work. You don't appreciate what the body part does for you until its not working.
            james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Got my appt for extraction June 24 (another 50 days). If I was in pain I would go out looking for something sooner. The good thing though is that the process will stretch out into next year's maximum yearly benefit.
              Last edited by QuarterMillionMan; 05-05-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Got my appt for extraction June 24 (another 50 days). If I was in pain I would go out looking for something sooner. The good thing though is that the process will stretch out into next year's maximum yearly benefit.
                Oh my goodness, I can't imagine waiting so long! This has made me realize just how lucky I am with my dentist. Although, I agree, spreading it over two years is advantageous! I hope you don't have any issues with infections during the interim and that the pain isn't too bad.

Comment

We’ve never had dental insurance, as I always viewed it as prepaid dental work. If you’re lucky. Not unlike a timeshare is prepaid - and outrageously expensive - hotel accommodations.

instead of buying dental insurance, put $50 a month in the kitty and self insure. You’ll probably come out ahead most years - just like the insurance company does.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                    We’ve never had dental insurance, as I always viewed it as prepaid dental work. If you’re lucky. Not unlike a timeshare is prepaid - and outrageously expensive - hotel accommodations.

instead of buying dental insurance, put $50 a month in the kitty and self insure. You’ll probably come out ahead most years - just like the insurance company does.
                    We pay $16/mo ($192/yr). That covers each of us going every 6 months. That alone puts us way ahead by having the insurance even if we do nothing but routine cleanings and exams.
                    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	723220

Comment

The note about the sinus grafting is interesting - I've never heard of that before as related to implants. I believe that's part of why they do a CT scan, to ensure they miss that whole area (as well as any nearby nerves). My dentist creates a drilling template of some sort so that he knows the precise angle and depth to put the thing in to avoid any issues like that. It's literally a physical guide of some sort that clamps onto the gums and directs his drill correctly. I wonder if the sinus grafting note is a thing your dentist notes to minimize their own liability in case they place the implant wrong?

Comment

Working...
                        X