Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is dental insurance not on par with medical insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Off topic but this is something that drives family doctors crazy. The dentist doesn't want to do anything when there's an infection, but they also don't want to treat the infection. They tell patients to call their PCP. They have a license. They are fully trained and licensed to prescribe antibiotics, but they turf it to the family doc or urgent care.
    Interesting, I have never had a dentist unwilling to treat an infection. For my current issue, the dentist called the antibiotic prescription into my HMO pharmacy, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by HundredK View Post

Interesting, I have never had a dentist unwilling to treat an infection. For my current issue, the dentist called the antibiotic prescription into my HMO pharmacy, no problem.
      I'm glad there are some dentists out there willing to do that. That has definitely not been our experience in this area. Patients call the dentist and say they have an abscess and are told they can't be seen until the infection is treated.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I'm glad there are some dentists out there willing to do that. That has definitely not been our experience in this area. Patients call the dentist and say they have an abscess and are told they can't be seen until the infection is treated.
        That's really horrible. Definitely a sign that they need a new dentist!

Comment

That's really horrible. Definitely a sign that they need a new dentist!
          It's quite common actually. I saw it a ton when I was in practice because there were only 1 or 2 dentists in town who accepted Medicaid and they were swamped all the time. They didn't have time to see patients just to give them an antibiotic.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

I think your dentist would give you a choice. My dentist referred me to an oral surgeon for the extraction and implant procedure. Then, back to my dentist for the crown.

But, I am troubled at how long it has taken for you to get an appointment to see your dentist. Does your dentist’s office know you have a tooth ache?

This goes back a long time, but I had an abscess from a wisdom tooth . The dentist didn’t want to do the extraction until the infection had been treated, first.
            L2P, when I saw my dentist on or about 3/24/21 for routine cleaning, my tooth was just a slight bit sore. I asked for a referral at that visit and got the referral but my dentist inspected my tooth and wiggled my tooth hard, tapped on it hard with the metal handle of the cleaning tool. Thereafter it became very sore to the point I no longer can chew food on that side. I called the referral and the earliest they could schedule me was May 3 which is right around the corner now. I was surprised the HundredK was able to get a same day emergency appointment.

Comment

Oh that's happened to me too! The dentist has told me to go to Dr or urgent care to get infection treated.
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

When I made my appt, I asked if someone cancelled I could fill in at a moments notice. Nada.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                  When I made my appt, I asked if someone cancelled I could fill in at a moments notice. Nada.
                  That's so sad! Actually, all of this I'm reading about uncooperative dentists is so sad. When my tooth broke yesterday, I saw my dentist within the hour. He saw me in between his other patients, and then had his front desk person call in an rx and schedule extraction/implant for Monday.

Comment

That's so sad! Actually, all of this I'm reading about uncooperative dentists is so sad. When my tooth broke yesterday, I saw my dentist within the hour. He saw me in between his other patients, and then had his front desk person call in an rx and schedule extraction/implant for Monday.
                    Your experience is the way it ought to be. It's not.

Heck, one of the main reasons urgent cares like mine have multiplied so rapidly is that PCPs no longer accommodate their patients who are sick or injured and need immediate care. In my practice, if a patient called and was having a problem, we told them to come right over and we worked them in. Today, most PCPs will say, "Sorry, we have no open appointments today. We can't see you until tomorrow or the next day. You can go to urgent care if you don't want to wait."
                    Steve

Comment

Off topic but this is something that drives family doctors crazy. The dentist doesn't want to do anything when there's an infection, but they also don't want to treat the infection. They tell patients to call their PCP. They have a license. They are fully trained and licensed to prescribe antibiotics, but they turf it to the family doc or urgent care.
                      My experience with the wisdom tooth goes back 45 years ago (I was a poor college student) the dentist who saw me gave me a prescription for an antibiotic.

But, I had a pretty scary experience with my Mom. We were celebrating her first trip to Disneyland in many years (after recovering from surgery)— so we were all a long ways from home. She had some work done with her dentist before the trip (dentist was trying to save the tooth), unfortunately it turned into an abscess. We couldn’t get ahold of her dentist (he never returned her calls). My sister and I thought she should go to the emergency room (one side of her face was swollen), but Mom didn’t want to go. Mom finally thought to call her PCP (who was an absolute angel). Her PCP immediately phoned in a prescription and then followed up with care when Mom returned home.
                      (And, Mom got another dentist. He was a pretty good dentist when she started seeing him- but I think he should have retired a few years back. When my sister finally was able to reach someone in the practice, they said something went wrong with their answering machine.).

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post

L2P, when I saw my dentist on or about 3/24/21 for routine cleaning, my tooth was just a slight bit sore. I asked for a referral at that visit and got the referral but my dentist inspected my tooth and wiggled my tooth hard, tapped on it hard with the metal handle of the cleaning tool. Thereafter it became very sore to the point I no longer can chew food on that side. I called the referral and the earliest they could schedule me was May 3 which is right around the corner now. I was surprised the HundredK was able to get a same day emergency appointment.
                        I’m glad it is right around the corner (now), but holy cow- that is a terrible long wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

Mom finally thought to call her PCP (who was an absolute angel). Her PCP immediately phoned in a prescription and then followed up with care when Mom returned home.
                          That's great to hear.

Just to be clear, while us PCP and UC foks get annoyed by this, we're annoyed at the dentists, not the patients. We always happily provide the needed care to the patients. We just wish the dentists would handle their own patients and not dump them on us.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many dental infections I've treated over the years.
                          Steve

Comment

I had my extraction, bone grafting and implant placed today. Took less than 45 minutes for all of that... my dentist amazes me. Now that it's fresh in my mind, I'd say the strangest part of all of it is when they place the implant. As they screw the thing into your jaw it kind of vibrates your whole head and feels really weird. Not in any pain yet, still numb... he said I'd feel soreness and to take advil alternating with tylenol if needed.

Comment

I had my extraction, bone grafting and implant placed today. Took less than 45 minutes for all of that... my dentist amazes me. Now that it's fresh in my mind, I'd say the strangest part of all of it is when they place the implant. As they screw the thing into your jaw it kind of vibrates your whole head and feels really weird. Not in any pain yet, still numb... he said I'd feel soreness and to take advil alternating with tylenol if needed.
                              Oh man....that sounds like quite an ordeal.
                              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

My appt is today at 4. They just called me at 1:45 pm saying someone cancelled and if I could go at 3 pm. I told them no can and keep 4 pm. I waited 45 days for this appt, an hour earlier won't help me and in fact it was like they slapped me in the face. I wish they had not called and just left it at 4. Gee whiz.

Comment

Working...
                                X