Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is dental insurance not on par with medical insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disneysteve, I made that statement that Delta Dental didn't cover the procedures before I checked my plan's benefit.

Comment

Also when HundredK post that 50% of implants is covered by Delta Dental, it motivated me to check my own coverage and low and behold, HundredK was correct.

Comment

I remember when we first got dental insurance through my job. It was around the mid to late 80s and it covered just about everything, up to $2000 a year. It's now 2021 and it still covers $2000 a year, which is sometimes not even one tooth.

Comment

Dental doesn't cover much for some reason but the premium is very low. Considering all the work I got done my dentist is a friend and gave me a huge break.
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by frugal saver View Post
            I remember when we first got dental insurance through my job. It was around the mid to late 80s and it covered just about everything, up to $2000 a year. It's now 2021 and it still covers $2000 a year, which is sometimes not even one tooth.
            That reminded me- The inexpensive policy we had through DH’s work had a 1500 per person annual limit. We were oblivious to the limit because never got near it until I needed an implant.

(Although, implants can take so long that with a little planning a person could stretch it out over 2 years. )

Comment

For my calendar max I have $1590 remaining. L2P makes a good point about implants stretching it over 2 years. Click image for larger version

Name:	1590.png
Views:	86
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	722694

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                For my calendar max I have $1590 remaining. L2P makes a good point about implants stretching it over 2 years. Click image for larger version

Name:	1590.png
Views:	86
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	722694
                I've never had an implant take less than 6 months start to finish, very easy to stretch it over two premium years.

Comment

My implant was the same. Took over 6 months as well.
                  LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I was eating lunch today when a tooth sheared off right at the gumline. The whole tooth! An emergency dentist appointment later, and I will be starting my 4th implant on Monday. Total cost quoted for this tooth is $4,613. He will be able to re-use my prior CT scan, so I don't have to pay for that again at least. My out of pocket is estimated at about $2,550 with insurance paying the rest. The interesting thing is that this one will only be a 4 month process total. He said for this tooth he will be able to do the extraction, bone grafting, and place the implant post all on the same day (before he had to do the extraction and grafting and then wait before the surgery). Then we just wait 4 months and pop the crown on.

Comment

On the bright side, I was asking him about full mouth implants because I have to assume that all of my crappy teeth are going to give out someday. He said that if I ever go that route, they can use the implants already there as posts for full mouth implants. That made me feel slightly better about spending this amount of money on my mouth - at least it will have future utility as I age.

Comment

Sorry about your tooth falling out and possibly needing full implants but thanks for posting, now I know what to expect beginning on Monday when I go for my initial consultation. I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done. Mine's is painful too so I cannot wait any longer. My gut feeling is my dentist will extract the tooth and build a bridge which I don't want because he will have to grind down 2 perfectly good teeth in order to hold the bridge into place. I rather go the implant route and pay more if needed.

Comment

I feel weak after watching Youtube videos of implants. The dentist used about 7 different size drill bits before screwing in the implant post. Good lord, dang it.

Comment

I feel weak after watching Youtube videos of implants. The dentist used about 7 different size drill bits before screwing in the implant post. Good lord, dang it.
                            Ha! Don't worry, you won't feel a thing. I didn't even need painkillers with my last implant, not even advil! But yeah, they use a lot of drills.

Comment

Sorry about your tooth falling out and possibly needing full implants but thanks for posting, now I know what to expect beginning on Monday when I go for my initial consultation. I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done. Mine's is painful too so I cannot wait any longer. My gut feeling is my dentist will extract the tooth and build a bridge which I don't want because he will have to grind down 2 perfectly good teeth in order to hold the bridge into place. I rather go the implant route and pay more if needed.
                              I think your dentist would give you a choice. My dentist referred me to an oral surgeon for the extraction and implant procedure. Then, back to my dentist for the crown.

But, I am troubled at how long it has taken for you to get an appointment to see your dentist. Does your dentist’s office know you have a tooth ache?

This goes back a long time, but I had an abscess from a wisdom tooth . The dentist didn’t want to do the extraction until the infection had been treated, first.

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post
                                I had an abscess from a wisdom tooth . The dentist didn’t want to do the extraction until the infection had been treated, first.
                                Off topic but this is something that drives family doctors crazy. The dentist doesn't want to do anything when there's an infection, but they also don't want to treat the infection. They tell patients to call their PCP. They have a license. They are fully trained and licensed to prescribe antibiotics, but they turf it to the family doc or urgent care.
                                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
                                X