Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What items should be kept track of like cash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What items should be kept track of like cash?

Long ago, I learned the hard way that I needed to keep little things that I call "cash equivalents" in a designated place so that I wouldn't lose track of them.

Gift Cards: I keep them either in the same small container where I store emergency cash & travel documents, or in my wallet.
    Postage Stamps: I keep them with other mailing supplies in a small drawer of an organizer in my office.
    Coins: Yeah I know they're plain old cash and not a cash equivalent, but I have penny, nickel, dime, and quarter tubes + rolling papers in a cup in my office and I roll them up when I have a full sleeve and deposit them when I'm going to the bank.
    Foreign Currency: Also real cash, kept with travel documents.

Is there anything else I might be overlooking? Little physical things that are as good as cash and easy to lose track of if they aren't kept in a specific place?

Checks, if your have them. Back in the day, it would be physical certificates for stocks, bonds, etc.
    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
      Checks, if your have them. Back in the day, it would be physical certificates for stocks, bonds, etc.
      We still have a couple of physical stock certificates. And we have a bunch of US savings bonds.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        Checks, if your have them.
        I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I tape checks to the bathroom mirror so I won't forget to deposit them!

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I tape checks to the bathroom mirror so I won't forget to deposit them!
          Just deposit them when you get them. I use our bank’s phone app for all deposits.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Gift cards can be uploaded to apps too.

amazon, Dunkin’, target to name a few.

Comment

Gift cards GOD! I have too many
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Car Titles
                Tax Records
                Birth certificates
                Social Security Card
                Immunization Record

OK, so maybe the last three are not "cash" related, but the number of people I come across who have to drive across the country to the county they were born in, to get a copy of a birth certificate amazes me.
                Last edited by myrdale; 03-15-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by myrdale View Post
                  Car Titles
                  Tax Records
                  Birth certificates
                  Social Security Card
                  Immunization Record
                  This is a really good point. You need to take good care of important documents, especially those that are a real pain to replace. Honestly, I'd be more upset to lose some of those things than to lose cash or gift cards.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                    Foreign Currency: Also real cash, kept with travel documents.
                    I used to have stacks of foreign currency lying around, and then I realized I could go exchange it all at my bank. There was some minimum amount of each currency I had to have for my bank to do it, but it was good to bid farewell to all those bills.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                      Gift cards GOD! I have too many
                      Good problem to have. I have zero. Send them my way if you don't want it (lol).

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post

Good problem to have. I have zero. Send them my way if you don't want it (lol).
                        I believe I have a post of $100s of dollars of different gift cards including about $600 left still at target from that 10% deal
                        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X