Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If given your choice of vaccine 1 shot or 2 shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If given your choice of vaccine 1 shot or 2 shot?

Johnson & Johnson might be coming out with a 1 shot vaccine but less effective at 85% than the 2 shot Pfizer or Moderna at 95%. If given the choice would you settle for J & J's 1 shot at 85%? I would take anything available when it is my turn. Beggars cannot be choosy (lol).

Given the choice, I'd take the better one. Would I settle for the lesser one if that's all that's available? Sure. 85% is better than 0%.

Moot point for me personally as I'm already vaccinated (Pfizer), but the more people we can get vaccinated as soon as possible, the better off we'll all be.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I'd rather have the 95% effective Pfizer or Moderna. An extra shot is no biggie.

Like you though, I will take whichever I can get.

Comment

Oh, I just read that J&J's vaccine is only 72% effective. I definitely don't want that one. Why even give distribute it?

Comment

I'd also prefer the more-effective one, but if it meant getting a shot, any shot, right now, I'd take anything.

I'd like to understand what happens if the 2nd dose of the pfizer/moderna vaccine is missed. Can it be taken later? Or, if one gets the single J&J vaccine, could one take the more effective vaccine series later and expect better protection?

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
            I'd like to understand what happens if the 2nd dose of the pfizer/moderna vaccine is missed. Can it be taken later? Or, if one gets the single J&J vaccine, could one take the more effective vaccine series later and expect better protection?
            If you miss the 2nd shot entirely, you basically just end up with a reduced protection effectiveness. Rather than 95%, you're looking at more like ~50% effectiveness.

If you're simply late (beyond the recommended 3-4 week 2nd dose timeline), no major impacts. You just get the 2nd dose ASAP. If you end up not getting the 2nd dose for months afterward, worst case is that your antibodies will have returned to a normal level, and the second shot only gives you the reduced protection as if you had never gotten the first dose.

Another note to highlight is that if you get one of the 2-dose vaccine series, you need to make sure that you get the second shot of the same formulation. Mixing Pfizer & Moderna could reduce efficacy. Getting J&J then a couple months later getting Pfizer would likely trigger stronger reactions to the Pfizer vaccine. While yes, you'd likely have the higher protection, it doesn't seem like the minor boost would warrant "wasting" a second series of the vaccine on a single person. If you have a healthy immune system, the J&J will most likely give you plenty of protection against COVID.

To the original question, I'd obviously prefer the more effective vaccine. A second quick shot for better efficacy isn't much of a big deal (even for me, who hates needles). But as I said, any option will be effective, and in the end, all we need is enough people inoculated to ensure the virus can't effectively spread.
            Last edited by kork13; 01-29-2021, 12:24 PM.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post
              Oh, I just read that J&J's vaccine is only 72% effective. I definitely don't want that one. Why even give distribute it?
              The report I saw this morning actually said 66%.

Why give it? It's one shot. It doesn't have the complex storage requirements of the others; it just needs normal refrigeration. Those two facts will make this the vaccine that has the biggest impact on ending the pandemic worldwide. This is the one that will reach the masses, remote areas, third world countries, etc. Here in the US we have access to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines but most of the world's population doesn't and won't.

I don't think the J&J vaccine will be big in the US. At least I hope not. But it will likely be the leading vaccine globally.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

It is my understanding that you won't really have a choice of what shot you receive (if you opt to receive one). I guess if you wait long enough you might.

Comment

Originally posted by moneybags View Post
                  It is my understanding that you won't really have a choice of what shot you receive (if you opt to receive one). I guess if you wait long enough you might.
                  That's certainly the case currently in the US. At my hospital, we started with Pfizer. After a couple of weeks we switched to Moderna. Then back to Pfizer. We have no control over which one we get. It's all controlled by the state and federal governments. Because of that, they are being very careful to only administer half of the supply and set aside the other half for second doses to avoid getting into the situation where second doses are due and no vaccine is available.
                  Steve

Comment

NY Times explains how the J & J vaccine work & time line to development. Interesting stuff.
                    How the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 Vaccine Works - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Comment

Certainly would prefer the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. But I'll take J&J if that's what's available.

We all have a shared goal to get as many folks (US & Globally) vaccinated as quickly as possible to stamp out continued transmission and creation of variants. The other J&J concern I've heard, in addition to lower effectiveness vs Pfizer/Moderna, is that it appears to be less effective at immunizing against the COVID variants.

Comment

Choice is already made for me doing Phizer. Got the first one done.

Comment

It doesn't matter to me
                          I'll take whatever is available when it's my turn

Brian

Comment

whatever is available.
                            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

If I had a choice, I'd prefer Moderna or Pfizer. Like the higher number.

Comment

Working...
                              X