No announcement yet.

Question about buying a car with cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to reiterate, I’m buying from Carmax. The price is fixed. It doesn’t matter how I pay. The price isn’t negotiable. Otherwise I agree that you get a better deal when financing normally.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

then pay with a credit card and get 2-3% cash back.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
        then pay with a credit card and get 2-3% cash back.
        That would be nice but they don’t take credit cards.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Quick update. I found a car I wanted at Carmax on August 29. I paid the $99 to have it shipped from North Carolina to NJ. They called me on Wednesday that it had arrived and I made an appointment to check it out on Friday. I also put in a transfer of funds from Ally to our checking account.

I went for the test drive on Friday and decided to buy the car, but the transfer hadn't gone through yet. So I gave them a down payment by check and did a finance agreement for the balance but let them know that I'd be back on Tuesday (tomorrow) to pay it off. I confirmed that there is no pre-payment penalty. The funds hit our account today so tomorrow after work I'll head over and write another check for the balance and own it outright.
          Steve

Comment

What were the terms for financing that were available (interest rate and loan period?)

Just curious. Not going to suggest keeping the financing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
              What were the terms for financing that were available (interest rate and loan period?)

Just curious. Not going to suggest keeping the financing.
              To be totally honest, I didn't even pay that much attention since I knew I wasn't actually keeping the loan. I believe it was 3 something % for 5 years and under 3% for 3 years. I'm paying it off tomorrow afternoon regardless.
              Steve

Comment

if no credit card, then it really doesn't matter how you pay them. certain methods they would probably want to wait for a longer settling period to ensure not a scam on the buyers part. Same deal with private party. Transaction done at the bank or via bank wire is much preferred to a personal check.

Comment

I have paid cash. But, usually with a check that large, I prefer to get a Treasurer's check instead. I certainly would not play actual cash. So, a personal check at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                    Quick update. I found a car I wanted at Carmax on August 29. I paid the $99 to have it shipped from North Carolina to NJ. They called me on Wednesday that it had arrived and I made an appointment to check it out on Friday. I also put in a transfer of funds from Ally to our checking account.

I went for the test drive on Friday and decided to buy the car, but the transfer hadn't gone through yet. So I gave them a down payment by check and did a finance agreement for the balance but let them know that I'd be back on Tuesday (tomorrow) to pay it off. I confirmed that there is no pre-payment penalty. The funds hit our account today so tomorrow after work I'll head over and write another check for the balance and own it outright.
                    Did you get red or blue?

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

Did you get red or blue?
                      I got red.
                      Steve

Comment

Steve

Comment

I find it amusing you are still driving the same car as 20+ years ago. Only car we've seen you drive.
                          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I got red.
                            Pretty! Enjoy your new car.

Comment

Looks muscular.
                              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                                I find it amusing you are still driving the same car as 20+ years ago. Only car we've seen you drive.
                                I had a 91 Camry, a 98 Camry, an 06 Camry, and now a 2018 Camry.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X