No announcement yet.

Stores and restaurants re-closing due to COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People can't seem to get it through their heads that a negative test only means that you are negative right at the moment the test was done. It doesn't mean you aren't infected and carrying the virus. It doesn't mean you couldn't test positive the very next day. It doesn't mean you couldn't catch it in the airport. Getting a test on Sunday or Monday and then traveling on Wednesday is still a big risk no matter what that test showed.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
      How are they planning on coming up? I'm allowing my BIL to fly and see us. Nothing we can say appears to dissuade him. So it is what it is. He got a test on Friday and his girlfriend. Oh well.
      Driving -- that's the good at least... They only live 5-6 hours away, so they at least won't be subject to the airlines' petri dish.

We also have long-standing plans for my 2 brothers, one's wife, and possibly my father/his wife (less likely) to come up for Christmas, so we'll go through all of this again... They'll all be flying (though the single brother is an air cargo pilot & will be hitching a ride out here with one of his company's flights). The only redeeming factor there is that none of my family is particularly social/outgoing otherwise. Brother1/his wife both work from home, and brother2 flies a single route with just one senior pilot that never changes.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        It's driving us crazy, trying to keep our operations afloat while getting hamstrung with people getting out into quarantine.
        This is a growing problem everywhere. I saw the other day that the Mayo Clinic has over 900 staff members out with Covid. Many. schools are closing not because there are cases happening in school but because too many teachers are out sick or too many bus drivers are out so they can't provide transportation.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
          I don't know anyone personally afflicted with COVID
          This isn't directed at you, but I think this is a big part of the problem. Until the disease touches you or someone close to you, people just don't take it seriously. They aren't influenced by over 250,000 deaths or 12.5 million cases because it hasn't affected them personally. It's sad but that's how people think and act.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
            We lost a family member to Covid recently.
            Very sorry for your loss.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
              We lost a family member to Covid recently. My great aunt and uncle got it at the same time. They were independent and living in their own home. Both of them were hospitalized. His condition worsened and he passed about 2 weeks ago. She turned the corner and was discharged, but she is now fully dependent and requires caregivers in her home 24/7. No longer has the strength to walk or perform daily activities. Our family, specifically my mom, who is in her 70's, is trying to manage her care from two states away. The sad thing is, my great aunt denies she and Jerry ever had covid. I do not understand, but at this point, it's not important.

My mom was still hanging on to the idea that her and dad would gather for Thanksgiving with my husband and I, keep it small, because we've all been safe, right? This last weekend I was the horrible son who ruined the holidays and told her out of respect for Jerry we should not gather. It's just a meal. Just a day. Next year will be that much better. I'm seriously pissed at my sister who is having her in-laws come over. They are all planning to get covid tests this week. No, no, no, that's not how this works. Dr. Fauci says no, and our local testing sites say DO NOT come to us to get a covid test for this purpose. They have massive waits and cannot get tests to people who have a critical need, for their health or employment. Gathering is elective, it can wait. My sister is incredibly smart, but this is part denial and her in-laws are pressuring her to gather. My directive to her is, fine, do what you want in your own house, but DO NOT get anywhere near our parents for the 14 days following.

We are just a few months to weeks away from vaccine distribution; let's not blow the last 9 months of being safe. All the local news and radio stations are urging people to stay home and only gather with household/pod members.
              I am so sorry for your loss.
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
              X