Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is defunding the police a good idea or bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
    The question of if we are using resources efficiently is really the basis of the whole police reform conversation.

This case was kind of unusual though. The guy was asleep in his car, but he was parked IN the drive through lane at Wendy's. Other customers were having to maneuver around him to get through the drive through. I can understand police being called. Although he wasn't threatening anyone, he was creating a problem for the business. Plus the guy could have been experiencing some sort of medical emergency because, you know, who decides to take a nap in the drive through lane? So getting first responders on the scene seems like it was appropriate.

ETA: I just saw that ua_guy essentially posted the same thing.
    I missed that he was IN the drive through lane, I thought he was just parked in the parking lot. I don't disagree necessarily with cops being the first responders and I understand someone has to assess the situation and decide what steps need to be taken to resolve the issue. What I don't understand is why the outcome was to arrest him instead of getting him treatment help or taking him home to sober up. Bigger picture, let's say he hadn't been shot and they hauled him off to jail. What was accomplished?

Comment

Originally posted by riverwed070707 View Post

I missed that he was IN the drive through lane, I thought he was just parked in the parking lot. I don't disagree necessarily with cops being the first responders and I understand someone has to assess the situation and decide what steps need to be taken to resolve the issue. What I don't understand is why the outcome was to arrest him instead of getting him treatment help or taking him home to sober up. Bigger picture, let's say he hadn't been shot and they hauled him off to jail. What was accomplished?
      I believe he was being arrested for DUI after failing the breathalyzer test.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
      X