Has anyone bought a used car online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

I may have missed this, but what car did you buy?
    I got a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE. It's got about 13,300 miles on it and is in beautiful condition.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I got a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE. It's got about 13,300 miles on it and is in beautiful condition.
      very nice.
      that should run a long time for you worry free

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

very nice.
        that should run a long time for you worry free
        I kept my 1998 for 14 years. I'm happy to do that again. I only had the last one (a 2006) for 8 years but it was older when I bought it.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

how long did you keep the 2006? How much did you buy the 2018 for? Does it makes sense over say the tesla or other electric vehicle which has minimal maintenance and gas.
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
            how long did you keep the 2006? How much did you buy the 2018 for? Does it makes sense over say the tesla or other electric vehicle which has minimal maintenance and gas.
            I have no interest in an electric car so that wasn't a consideration.

I had the 06 for 8 years. It had a number of issues, both cosmetic and mechanical. The paint job was shot and there was rust in a couple of places. The rear defroster didn't work and I had taken it in twice for that and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. There was an issue where first thing in the morning if there had been heavy rain overnight, the steering locked up as I pulled out of the driveway. It only lasted a few seconds and then was fine. The mechanics couldn't find anything wrong with that either as they could never reproduce the problem but I was afraid it would happen sometime when I was driving (it actually did once). Some other stuff was wrong as well and I decided it was best to ditch it before something major happened or it started costing me a ton of money to fix.

I paid 26K for the 2018.
            Steve

Comment

Yes I have. Much cheaper and greater model availability that what's available locally.

How did I ensure that I wasn't getting ripped off? Went through a reputable dealer, and required a PPI with a company of my choosing. No exceptions accepted. Never had any issues.

Rule of thumb, local or not, warranty or not, as long as it's used, you will get a PPI. Warranty helps A LOT for peace of mind, but unless you're an experienced mechanic/bodyshop expert and viewing and inspecting the car in person, on your car lift, doing a compression test, you will want a PPI. Not getting that inspection is penny wise, pound foolish. You may not get burned by not doing it, but if you do, and the car is even somewhat pricey, it will cost you a lot more $$$$$$$$. Any sort of manufacturer/dealer/cpo warrant is extra cushion, assuming it's valid, which you want to check.
              Last edited by ~bs; 09-15-2020, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X