Has anyone bought a used car online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Not yet. I’ve been looking casually but not full force. I need to get more serious. My criteria, mainly color, narrows my choices a lot so I need to be ready to jump when one I like hits the market.
    Ok. Gotta ask. What is your color preference?

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post

Ok. Gotta ask. What is your color preference?
      Red or blue. The vast majority of cars are black, white, silver, or champagne. I also prefer a grey interior over black.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

hurtz listed their car fleet online for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
          hertz listed their car fleet online for sale!
          Link?

james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

hurtz listed their car fleet online for sale!
            I'm not interested in a rental car as those are the base models and I'd like one of the more fully equipped models.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Link?
              https://www.hertzcarsales.com/used-c...geoRadius=1000

Comment

I'm not interested in a rental car as those are the base models and I'd like one of the more fully equipped models.
                not all are base models.

They sell amg mercedes, escalades, 7 series bmws, range rovers, z06 corvettes, etc

Comment

not all are base models.

They sell amg mercedes, escalades, 7 series bmws, range rovers, z06 corvettes, etc
                  They tend to be the base trim package for the model though. I browsed a couple of the rental car inventories and pretty much all of the Camrys were LEs. They just don’t use XSE and XLE models as rentals.
                  Steve

Comment

^

Makes sense. 9/10 cars or more are probably base models. All depends on what you're looking for.

Comment

I'm a self-proclaimed "car guy" here. Personal preference and experience - would not buy a rental. Minimally maintained, often driven by test-pilots, engines are short-cycled and idle for extended periods. There is good reason that they are often "good deals" in the used market; they should not command the purchase price of the same vehicle which was meticulously cared for and carefully driven because 9/10 they aren't.

I would also not purchase an ex- luxury lease that isn't certified by the manufacturer. The good examples are certified or repurchased by the dealer for sale and can be certified via negotiation. The lot of them that have no maintenance history, or worse, are "out of spec" when doing the post-lease dealer inspection. These cars quickly find their way to auction or wholesale lots. There are used dealerships that deal exclusively in these vehicles. If you are your own wrench, sometimes a bargain can be found, but for the average car buyer; I'd advise to stick to manufacturer CPO.

While I have not used an "online" car buying experience like Carvana; hear this. It costs money to prep a vehicle for sale as well as ship/deliver it. I understand that some people avoid "dealerships" and the associated stereotypical experience at all cost, however, I think a better value can be found by negotiating your own private party sale. If there isn't a local example of the car you want; how about within a 5-hour driving radius? The cost of driving to look at and inspect a vehicle pales in comparison to shipping one.

Vehicles like the Camry IMO are terrible values in the used market. Resale is inflated due to perceived historical high-reliability. If you are the type to drive the wheels off your vehicles, and aren't an enthusiast type, would it not make sense to buy something with a terrible resale in the used market? Also, if "driving the wheels off" means dumping a car when it hits, say, 150k, there isn't a modern vehicle I wouldn't trust to go that distance. If you are more of the 300k-400k owner, that list becomes much smaller and it may make sense to buy a vehicle that has a history of going that far, but that is often the rare exception. If you LOVE the Camry, sure. Preference plays a huge role. But there is a whole world of great vehicles out there to choose from.

Comment

Thanks for the input, ua_guy. I appreciate it.
                        Steve

Comment

DS why aren't you considering a Model 3 Tesla? People say it's the cost of the camry. I don't think so where i am. The cheapest model 3 is still $40k new and I'm not sure they are old enough to have used vehicles.
                          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                            DS why aren't you considering a Model 3 Tesla? People say it's the cost of the camry. I don't think so where i am. The cheapest model 3 is still $40k new and I'm not sure they are old enough to have used vehicles.
                            I have zero interest in an electric car.
                            Steve

Comment

Time to update. A few weeks ago, I saved searches for what I was looking for on Carmax's and Carvana's website and set up email notifications. I found one I liked at Carmax on August 29. I paid the $99 fee to have it shipped from NC to NJ. It arrived on 8/9. A representative from Carmax called to let me know it was there and he took a bunch of my info by phone. He also sent me a couple of emails. One was for me to send in info and photos of my trade so that they could make me an offer (which I accepted). The other was for me to send in photos of my documents (license, registration, insurance card). The emails were great and walked me through step by step exactly what they wanted me to send them. Finally, the rep called again and I made an appointment for a test drive on Friday.

When we got there, they pulled the car up and DW and I went off for a drive and then spent some time checking it out on the lot when we returned. Everything was in order so I decided to buy it.

The original plan was to just write a check for the full amount but the fund transfer I had initiated on Wednesday hadn't gone through yet. So I wrote a check for a down payment and let them do a loan for the rest but told them I'd be back in a few days to pay it off. The funds hit the account today and I will go over tomorrow after work (working 12 hours today) and pay off the loan and own the car outright.

The process was great. For anyone who hates dealing with car salespeople like I do, I highly recommend it. There was absolutely zero pressure, no attempt to upsell me on anything, no price haggling since they sell at fixed prices. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I would totally do it again the next time we need a car.
                              Steve

Comment

Time to update. A few weeks ago, I saved searches for what I was looking for on Carmax's and Carvana's website and set up email notifications. I found one I liked at Carmax on August 29. I paid the $99 fee to have it shipped from NC to NJ. It arrived on 8/9. A representative from Carmax called to let me know it was there and he took a bunch of my info by phone. He also sent me a couple of emails. One was for me to send in info and photos of my trade so that they could make me an offer (which I accepted). The other was for me to send in photos of my documents (license, registration, insurance card). The emails were great and walked me through step by step exactly what they wanted me to send them. Finally, the rep called again and I made an appointment for a test drive on Friday.

When we got there, they pulled the car up and DW and I went off for a drive and then spent some time checking it out on the lot when we returned. Everything was in order so I decided to buy it.

The original plan was to just write a check for the full amount but the fund transfer I had initiated on Wednesday hadn't gone through yet. So I wrote a check for a down payment and let them do a loan for the rest but told them I'd be back in a few days to pay it off. The funds hit the account today and I will go over tomorrow after work (working 12 hours today) and pay off the loan and own the car outright.

The process was great. For anyone who hates dealing with car salespeople like I do, I highly recommend it. There was absolutely zero pressure, no attempt to upsell me on anything, no price haggling since they sell at fixed prices. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I would totally do it again the next time we need a car.
                                I may have missed this, but what car did you buy?
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X