No announcement yet.

Has anyone bought a used car online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. It's generally good idea to get a PPI done from a 3rd party dealer.

Comment

I read the article about buying used rental cars. It seems like a good way to go. I checked Avis & Enterprise just to see the costs. I'll have to compare them to Carmax and Kelley Blue Book. They also have it set up so you can drive the car for a few days before actually purchasing.

Comment

Do eBay and Craigslist count? If so, then yes. Otherwise I try to avoid dealerships at all costs. When I was looking for my CRV a few years ago, I just couldn't find what I was looking for, and eventually dealt with the dealership. Even though they were all fixed prices with no negotiating, it was still a pain jumping through their hoops trying to up sell services.
        "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by moneybags View Post
          I read the article about buying used rental cars. It seems like a good way to go. I checked Avis & Enterprise just to see the costs. I'll have to compare them to Carmax and Kelley Blue Book. They also have it set up so you can drive the car for a few days before actually purchasing.
          My cousin worked for a rental car company when he was in school. You would never buyer an old rental car if you heard some of the horror stories that he told me.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

My cousin worked for a rental car company when he was in school. You would never buyer an old rental car if you heard some of the horror stories that he told me.
            I've heard similar, that rental cars tend to be fairly well abused -- after all, do you know what's the fastest car in the world? A rental car.

Also consider that rentals are typically the base model (or maybe 1 step up), so if you like all the tech integration & stuff, you likely won't find it in a former rental car.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

rentals are typically the base model (or maybe 1 step up), so if you like all the tech integration & stuff, you likely won't find it in a former rental car.
              Exactly what I found in my searching the other night. All of the Camrys are SE models and I want an XSE or XLE (well, I'd like an XLE but don't want to pay for an XLE).
              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I heard rental cars aren't terrible. But I wanted all bells and whistles and that is not usually in a rental car. Usually they don't have leather.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

I've heard similar, that rental cars tend to be fairly well abused -- after all, do you know what's the fastest car in the world? A rental car.

Also consider that rentals are typically the base model (or maybe 1 step up), so if you like all the tech integration & stuff, you likely won't find it in a former rental car.
                  Kinda depends... nowadays cars have a reasonable amount of tech in them. Rentals are generally base models, but many do have the larger screens with blutooth integration and reverse cameras, etc. Some of that is probably for the rental company's benefit.

But like I said in other threads, the time to be buying cars, houses, whatever is coming up. He who has the gold makes the rules.... For those that can afford to wait until others are forced to sell at firesell prices, it'll pay off. I still think it's too early, later this year true desperation may set in if things dont turn around very quickly.

Comment

just bought one from Carvana... paid more than I would from a local but the process was worth it.

Comment

Just wanted to add a couple of comments.

Most, if not all, of the big rental car companies self-insure. So a car accident that would render a car totaled anywhere else, doesn't even exist on the record of the car being sold by them. Most reputable body-shop people can tell you if a car has been in an accident, and how bad.

Carfax reports what has been reported to them. So, accidents involving either rental cars or people that don't have insurance aren't reported to Carfax. Also it varies state by state what does get reported. Their reports are great, but not guaranteed to be complete.

If you're considering a particular car, google the VIN. I did that as a matter of course at work, and often got surprising returns. Example--a car was advertised as "minor cosmetic damage" and from the pictures looked fine. I googled the VIN and got a hit to a body shop in another state showing a picture of the car for sale. It was barely recognizable as a car--but the selling point was "uninsured--clean title."

Fraud involving cars is a huge business--much bigger than it used to be 30 or even 20 years ago.

Sorry for the rant, but vehicle fraud is the major part of my job.

Comment

Great advice frugal saver. Thanks. Are you at least less likely to encounter fraud when dealing with a reputable seller like an agency or Carmax or Carvana sort of place vs. buying from a private seller?
                        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                          Great advice frugal saver. Thanks. Are you at least less likely to encounter fraud when dealing with a reputable seller like an agency or Carmax or Carvana sort of place vs. buying from a private seller?
                          The Carmax here used to have a bad reputation for taking stolen cars as trade-ins, but I think they've changed numerous policies and made improvements there.

Generally the highest amount of fraud that I've seen have been cars purchased thru CraigsList.

Comment

Originally posted by frugal saver View Post

Generally the highest amount of fraud that I've seen have been cars purchased thru CraigsList.
                            That makes sense. I’d never buy from a private seller unless it was a personal friend or relative who I trusted. Never from a stranger.

Steve

Comment

Disneysteve did you find anything? I apologize and haven't been following this thread. If buying used I would not buy online since I cannot "kick the tire" so to speak. I would rather buy new. Case in point my 2018 Dodge Journey paid in full in 2020 for $16,300. Received my certificate of title recently.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                                Disneysteve did you find anything? I apologize and haven't been following this thread.
                                Not yet. I’ve been looking casually but not full force. I need to get more serious. My criteria, mainly color, narrows my choices a lot so I need to be ready to jump when one I like hits the market.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X