Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will movie theaters ever reopen? AMC may not (article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I agree the cost of movie tickets and going to them is ridiculous, I don't see them closing for good. Some names like AMC or others may be in trouble, but someone will buy them. Just like airlines, or other entertainment services. I fully expect theaters to eventually open up. As for how many and when, that is another discussion.

Streaming is great, but I think there is still limit on the experience, and with socializing. The same goes for professional sports events. While physical attendance may lower the numbers for these type of events, I don't see movie theaters (or attending sports) going away.
    "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
      When's the last time you bought a CD? Most musicians are earning their money from digital sales, or licensing to music services like Pandora, Apple Music, & Amazon Music. Movie makers may be forced to rely more heavily on digital purchases/rentals, with a more limited presence in theaters.
      Musicians are making fractions of a penny per play on sites like spotify/pandora. Not sure about apple or amazon...im guessing its next to nothing as well. They now make their money from merchandise...and their biggest one, touring. Its getting so bad for music companies are now requiring new artists to sign over their life, essentially. They get a cut of everything, not just music. Merch, advertisements. That was never a thing before online downloading/streaming.

I cant envision cd's ever making a comeback...but records certainly have. So who knows??

Comment

Originally posted by cypher1 View Post
        While I agree the cost of movie tickets and going to them is ridiculous, I don't see them closing for good. Some names like AMC or others may be in trouble, but someone will buy them. Just like airlines, or other entertainment services. I fully expect theaters to eventually open up. As for how many and when, that is another discussion.

Streaming is great, but I think there is still limit on the experience, and with socializing. The same goes for professional sports events. While physical attendance may lower the numbers for these type of events, I don't see movie theaters (or attending sports) going away.
        I don't think movie theaters will go away either. A lot of people enjoy the theater experience. I don't, but I'm probably in the minority. I'd much rather sit comfortably at home, not have someone sitting in front of me, nobody talking or texting, no sticky floor, able to control the volume myself, able to pause and run to the bathroom, make my own popcorn, etc.

I do think as more and more people have bigger and bigger home screens and better and better sound systems, the draw of the theater lessens. If you add in quicker release to streaming services you would remove the single biggest advantage of the theaters. A lot of people want to be the first to see a movie. If you make movies available online right away, you'll see theaters die out quickly.

Sports is a whole different story. Watching on TV is completely different than attending in person. With a movie, you're watching a screen either way. It's just a question of how large the screen is. And honestly, the video quality at home is far superior to most theaters.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I just saw on our local news that AMC has now hired lawyers who are experts in bankruptcy. Thats pretty much all it said, terrible reporting as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
            I just saw on our local news that AMC has now hired lawyers who are experts in bankruptcy.
            From what I've read, it's pretty much a given that they will file for bankruptcy. The question is what emerges. I don't think the company will disappear entirely but it will probably reemerge as a much leaner operation. Probably close/sell off under-performing locations, adjust pricing to increase revenue, etc.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Good ridences!

AMC purchased the local Carmike theater in town about 5 years ago. Since then they have rushed to make things as complicated, expensive, and as poor of service as possible.

The marque is no longer updated. You have to go inside or online to see times.
              There are two lines to buy tickets. If you pay extra for their Stubs membership you walk past the other 30 people waiting in line.
              Customer service has dropped.
              The general clearness of the place has plummeted.

I haven't visited other AMC theaters, so I have a very limited experience to speak of, but given driving 15 minutes to AMC or 45 minutes to NGC I am making the drive everytime.

Comment

Working...
              X