Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your largest holding or postion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your largest holding or postion?

For me it's in my 457 government plan (similar to a 401K or 403B), $246, 000 in a stable income fund.
    Attached Files

My largest holding is my business, which I at one time sunk everything I had into.

Second largest is vacation rentals.

Third largest is my home.

Fourth largest is a few equities.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Looks like ours is Vanguard S&P 500 fund at around $210,000.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

1. Rental home worth ~$190k
        2. Equity in current home ~$153k
        3. Cash ~$148k (we're getting ready to buy our next home when we PCS next spring -- $105k of that is our DP in progress)
        4. TSP C-Fund ~$129k
        5. Vanguard Total Market Stock Index (VTSAX) ~$90k

I only go out to #5 because I was shocked by how much is focused on real estate, almost half of everything....yikes!

Does a debt position count? If so, my actual largest position is a -$272k mortgage...woof...thus the reason we're building up as much of a DP as possible for the next house, shooting for $150k. Hoping to buy ~$350k then pay it off inside of ~3 years.
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Equity in home around $140k, with Vanguard VTSAX at $54k.
          "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
            Does a debt position count? If so, my actual largest position is a -$272k mortgage...woof...thus the reason we're building up as much of a DP as possible for the next house, shooting for $150k. Hoping to buy ~$350k then pay it off inside of ~3 years.
            Same here - we still owe like 320,000 on our home.

BUT, my wife has a 180K rental properly thats fully paid off, and she's holding about 380k in stock and mutual funds.

james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

$583k in FSKAX (Fidelity Total Market Index Fund) spread across 401k, 2 Roths and taxable.

Comment

Real estate represents about 40% of our net worth, the largest item being the home farm which is approx. 16% of NW.
                401K and other mutual funds represent approx. 28% of NW but is is not a single holding as it is spread out in multiple investments.
                I do own one single stock which represents approx 7% of NW.
                Holding approx. 20% of NW in cash & CD's.

Comment

Home equity $350k
                  Second place is a Target Retirement Fund with $108,000.

Comment

At the moment it's a money market fund with about $960k (proceeds from the sale of a business). Moving some into the market each month (a decision I struggle with each month as it feels like the market is at or near a peak). Second largest is a Balanced Index Fund with about $340k.

Comment

Originally posted by srblanco7 View Post
                      At the moment it's a money market fund with about $960k (proceeds from the sale of a business). Moving some into the market each month (a decision I struggle with each month as it feels like the market is at or near a peak). Second largest is a Balanced Index Fund with about $340k.
                      Sounds like you did pretty well with your business -- why not reinvest the proceeds in another business, or in real estate? There are more options than simply dumping everything into the stock market, especially with that large of an amount & your business background.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

Sounds like you did pretty well with your business -- why not reinvest the proceeds in another business, or in real estate? There are more options than simply dumping everything into the stock market, especially with that large of an amount & your business background.
                        Thanks Kork. I have a 3-year stay agreement with the new Owner of the business - so I continue my career as one of the Leaders in the business (but not an Owner).

I did think about the potential for a real estate investment. Though admittedly I'm a novice and would have much to learn as to what represents a "good investment". I decided, given that we live in a high tax state and are likely to move in about 4 years, that it wasn't right for us. To clarify, I didn't want in 4 years to become a "remote landlord", living 10 states away, and having to deal with tenant or property issues, nor did I want to sign up to pay our high taxes in perpetuity.

Comment

Thanks Kork. I have a 3-year stay agreement with the new Owner of the business - so I continue my career as one of the Leaders in the business (but not an Owner).

I did think about the potential for a real estate investment. Though admittedly I'm a novice and would have much to learn as to what represents a "good investment". I decided, given that we live in a high tax state and are likely to move in about 4 years, that it wasn't right for us. To clarify, I didn't want in 4 years to become a "remote landlord", living 10 states away, and having to deal with tenant or property issues, nor did I want to sign up to pay our high taxes in perpetuity.
                          That makes sense. Real estate isn't for everyone, especially with the prospect of doing so long-distance. Interesting arrangement with the new owner. I think it would be challenging for me to stay working in the business that I just sold to someone else, just knowing that they'll run it a little differently than you would. Might be easier if the new owner is someone who's worked in the business with you for a long time, though, which I'm guessing may be the case. But all around, pretty good deal!

Comment

I can relate to holding on to large amounts of cash. Iím sitting on $100,000 uninvested due to the overpriced stocks and housing market. I know inflation is eroding it but it is sort of my comfort blanket having cash on hand and not having to worry about a market correction or recession. Itís my money and Iíll do what I want with it (lol).

Comment

Working...
                            X