Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you manage your passwords/PINs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by corn18 View Post
    I also download a copy of all the accounts and passwords and keep it in the "book" that has our will, trust docs, POA's and my diatribe on "I'm dead, now what?".
    I did this a long time ago but really need to update it as it is definitely not current.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment


    • #17
      I use a program called Azzcardfile.

      Comment


      • #18
        I have an old recipe box for 3x5 cards that has both urls as well as passwords and I call it our Rolodex. I also keep the money to pay for snow shoveling in it. Just looked and after starting with $100 at the beginning of winter, I still have $30 left which is highly unusual. We have been having more rain than anything else which plays havoc with our septic system as we have a high water table besides. But that means no laundry, no showers, no anything needing water that has to go back out of the house via the septic system. We had a major thunderstorm and buckets of rain for three hours at least last night and I noticed that the toilets are having trouble today. For regular sites that have to do with finances as well as my debit cards I try to use variations on a theme and the debit cards have the same PIN. It is the only way to keep things straight when I am tired or when I hand off the debit card to hubby or my son to buy something or my son will check out groceries for me, while I wait exhausted.

        My problem with PW is that so many sites demand them. Go to a craft site, fill in a PW just to look around, go to another one and yet again another PW needed. I have an ID and PW on those sites that I try to use, but they don't always work. I use a desktop computer downstairs and two lousy laptops upstairs. As the one laptop is new (I got it to review and I think I gave it a 1-star), but it hasn't been to all my sites so I either have to go get my Rolodex or make up a new one. Why do I have to have a PW to see quilts or look at embroidery designs?
        Gailete
        http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

        Comment


        • #19
          google chrome memorizes all.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by ~bs View Post
            google chrome memorizes all.
            Is that a good thing, though? I guess if you are the only person using your computer it's okay, but you don't want all of your sensitive passwords stored if anyone else has access to your computer.

            This also only partially helps if you use multiple devices. I have quite a few IDs and passwords for work-related sites which I generally only access from work so I need to know those log ins. I have multiple phone apps that have log ins that aren't browser-based (though thankfully many of them use touch ID now).
            Steve

            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

              Is that a good thing, though? I guess if you are the only person using your computer it's okay, but you don't want all of your sensitive passwords stored if anyone else has access to your computer.

              This also only partially helps if you use multiple devices. I have quite a few IDs and passwords for work-related sites which I generally only access from work so I need to know those log ins. I have multiple phone apps that have log ins that aren't browser-based (though thankfully many of them use touch ID now).
              IDK, passwords is not something I personally want to deal with worrying about. The password logins are controlled by your user profile sign in/out. So If I'm signed out, the person would need to know my sign in info and password, on top of that they would need to log into my phone to confirm the temporary pin. I personally think it's more secure than writing it down for someone to more easily find. Note that if you're typing passwords into every site, it is a treasure trove of information for keylogger viruses, whereas saved autofill passwords dont give them the same information. Also note that most site logins nowadays have dual factor authentication as well. So even if they were able to sign in using your google profile, they still wouldn't be able to access your account.
              Last edited by ~bs; 08-18-2019, 02:49 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                most site logins nowadays have dual factor authentication as well.
                Ah yes, as if remembering a user name and password wasn't bad enough, now you also need to do that. It's an extra pain when you share an account with someone, like your spouse. If my wife goes to sign in, the text comes to me and then I need to forward it to her. I understand why it's more secure but I wish you could opt out.
                Steve

                * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I use LastPass. Imagine similar to what MonkeyMama mentioned. It stores your passwords. They have an app for your phone so you can log in there as well. You can generate secure passwords automatically and then it stores them so no need to remember. If someone hacked LastPass I'd probably be screwed at accessing 90% of my accounts but I've been using it for years and no issues. It also detects if a password has been hacked and will prompt you to go change it so that's kind of a nice added layer of security.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    We can manage our passwords by creating an excel file or spreadsheet with password-protected, that is only one safest way to store & manage your all passwords in once file and keep it secret within a password-protected folder.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Moses007 View Post
                      We can manage our passwords by creating an excel file or spreadsheet with password-protected, that is only one safest way to store & manage your all passwords in once file and keep it secret within a password-protected folder.
                      what happens when you forget your excel password?
                      How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

                        what happens when you forget your excel password?
                        All of the apps and files for storing and protecting passwords are password-protected so at some point, you need to remember at least one password. I would definitely write it down somewhere safe and secure just in case you do somehow manage to forget it.
                        Steve

                        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

                          what happens when you forget your excel password?
                          Better to note down and keep it in a secured place, but being a human we need to remember atleast one password.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                            All of the apps and files for storing and protecting passwords are password-protected so at some point, you need to remember at least one password. I would definitely write it down somewhere safe and secure just in case you do somehow manage to forget it.
                            I wrote it down and hid it in a secure place, but now I forgot where I hid it.
                            Last edited by TexasHusker; 08-21-2019, 06:04 AM.
                            How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

                              I wrote it down and hid it in a secure place, but now I forgot where I hid it.
                              It's better to write in a book you keep it in a safe place for further reference.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X