Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much % cash back is your credit card earning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of the cards im using is a 3% on any online purchase card. Up to 2500/month.

Comment

The ones that I actually use:
      - Citi Double Cash, 2% on anything & everything that doesn't fit into one of the categories below
      - Citi Costco Rewards, 2% at Costco, 3% on travel & restaurants, 4% on gas (may include other categories, but that's what I use it for)
      - AMEX Blue Preferred, 6% on groceries/Netflix, and other categories that I don't really know or use (military, so AMEX waives the annual fee)
      - AMEX Platinum, 5% on airfare & some hotels, plus generous rebate rewards on a variety of things (again, gratefully don't pay this $500 annual fee)
      - Discover It, 5% on rotating categories (though I'm sometimes forgetful to use it)

I also have a couple lower cash-back cards (1-1.5%) that I don't really use, but have kept them around gathering dust.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by creditcardfree View Post
        US Bank using for 5% cash back on cell phone and streaming services. American Express Preferred 6% cash back on groceries, 3% cash back on department stores, transportation and fuel, 1% on everything else. My husband is military so our annual fee is waived. Looks like I should switch our streaming services to AE, they are offering 6%. I have other cards that sometimes offer 5% on other categories, so we switch to those temporarily as needed. We can charge our rent currently, so we charge that to our Southwest Visa for airline miles

How much are you accumulating in cash rewards each month? I realize this varies based on spending and reward percentages. In June we earned $70.60. We make a point to sweep these earnings towards our savings goals.
        My total monthly charges add up to about $1000 in charges so times 1.5% is only $15 cashback.

Comment

Chase Freedom Unlimited with a blanket 1.5% cash back. Sure I could get a CITI for an extra 0.5%, but my checking account is with Chase card and checking at the same web site satisfies my inner KISS.

Comment

My card's a little different from most. It's the BofA Travel Rewards Visa card which pays cash back and has no yearly fee. The reward triers are based on total combined deposits/balances with BofA or Merrill Lynch. I'm at the platinum level and average about $2,500. a year back in cash back these days. I'm one of those that charge EVERYTHING and pay it off in full each month. Sort of hard to say what percentage in cash I'm getting back though, I'm guessing around 4%.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

It depends on the card for sure. As I said above, I pay $95/year for our Marriott card but that gets us 1 night's stay at up to a category 5 hotel. It's pretty simple to see the value there. We're using this year's certificate in November. The cash price for the room we booked is $310/night so just by having the credit card, we're saving $215 plus tax even if we don't use the card for anything else the entire year.

With other cards, determining the value of the annual fee is definitely murkier.
              That's a good value IF you are a person who would stay at a Marriott at that price. I'm not, that's too rich for my blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

That's a good value IF you are a person who would stay at a Marriott at that price. I'm not, that's too rich for my blood.
                Even if you wouldn't normally stay at a hotel like that, this way you get to do it for only $95. So once a year, you can treat yourself to a nice weekend getaway at a place you wouldn't otherwise be willing or able to stay at.
                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Even if you wouldn't normally stay at a hotel like that, this way you get to do it for only $95. So once a year, you can treat yourself to a nice weekend getaway at a place you wouldn't otherwise be willing or able to stay at.
                  Yes, that's true.

Comment

Costco & Sam's appear to have some nice cash back percentages (I don't have memberships at either place). 5% or 4% on gas, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% on Costco purchases, 1% on everything else. Members in good standing can apply for the cards and no annual fee from what I read. Nice perk of a membership.

https://citicards.citi.com/usc/LPACA...11#information

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                      American Express Blue Cash Preferred - 6% cash back at supermarkets (up to $6K per year) $95 annual fee --- my experience has been that it applies to supermarket GC purchases (including using store GC to buy gas)
                      Citi Double Cash 2% on anything, no annual fee
                      Target Red Card 5% instant discount, no annual fee
                      Costco Visa 4% gas (anywhere), 2% other Costco purchases, no annual fee

Thank you for this post which has prompted me to rethink our CCs. Since our move, our purchasing habits have changed. We now do more grocery shopping at Costco, and at Winco where they don't take credit cards, so we will probably need to say good-bye to the Am-Ex card when the annual fee comes due.

It sounds like you're interested in the Citi Double Cash. It's a good one if you like to keep it simple and stick to one card. In the past they have offered signup bonuses, but don't have one currently
                      The $95 annual fee on our Am-Ex would have come due next week so I closed the account today. I had to forfeit just under $2 in cash back rewards --- that was a small loss, but overall this falls in the "financial win" category since we no longer charge enough supermarket purchases to justify the annual fee.

caveat: My credit score will take a hit for closing this account, but a lower credit score won't affect me because I have no money-borrowing plans.

Definitely a good idea to review the cash back on the credit cards periodically to make sure you still have the best fit, so thanks again to Quarter Million Man for putting this on my radar.
                      Last edited by scfr; 09-05-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                        I had to forfeit just under $2 in cash back rewards
                        Why was that? Is there a minimum required to redeem?
                        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Happy to oblige scfr.

Comment

3% online purchases boa card

Comment

Why was that? Is there a minimum required to redeem?
                              Yes - $25 minimum. I'm sure with a bit of better planning I could have had it come out at $0 forfeited.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                                3% online purchases boa card
                                Iím looking into this BOA 3% online purchases for myself. Iím currently using a BOA 0% everything, why Iím keeping it just lazy on my part. I need to get my butt moving and get 3% online purchase which I do a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X