Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much % cash back is your credit card earning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much % cash back is your credit card earning?

1) Capital One 1.5% on everything purchased (no annual fee but I saw $39 annual recently so I may cancel this one)
    2) Citibank 1% on everything (no annual fee)
    3) BofA 0% (no annual fee), I should cancel this one but only use it for recurring TV bill and internet bill ($45/month combined).

I saw an ad for American Savings Bank (Hawaii based bank) for 2% on everything purchased ($39 annual fee). I'm thinking of signing up for this card.

2% on my CITI Card.
    That's on all purchases.
    No annual fee.

Brian

Comment

Wow bj how did you get that card? Is that for any average Jane Doe or John Doe? Or a special offer for Citi customers in very good to excellent standing?

Comment

2% on Fidelity CC. I could get 2.5% on my USAA card but it requires a direct deposit and that complicates my life. Both are no fee. Also have a Citi double cash back @ 2% but don't use it.

Comment

1% on my Chase Freedom card but we mainly only use that card for the 5% bonus categories. Same for Discover.
          Our main credit card (~40K/year) is our Marriott Visa but that's not cash back.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

US Bank using for 5% cash back on cell phone and streaming services. American Express Preferred 6% cash back on groceries, 3% cash back on department stores, transportation and fuel, 1% on everything else. My husband is military so our annual fee is waived. Looks like I should switch our streaming services to AE, they are offering 6%. I have other cards that sometimes offer 5% on other categories, so we switch to those temporarily as needed. We can charge our rent currently, so we charge that to our Southwest Visa for airline miles

How much are you accumulating in cash rewards each month? I realize this varies based on spending and reward percentages. In June we earned $70.60. We make a point to sweep these earnings towards our savings goals.
            My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
              Wow bj how did you get that card? Is that for any average Jane Doe or John Doe? Or a special offer for Citi customers in very good to excellent standing?
              There isn't anything special about it as far as I know.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...MSDefaultOffer

Try this link
              Brian

Comment

2% back on everything (Citi)
                6% groceries & video streaming, 3% gas & dining

Just got a credit card for my new 16-year-old. 5% back on rotating categories. Lucky for him, gas was the category for third quarter (Chase Freedom card). I personally can't stand keeping track of all that (new categories every few months) but for a kid with one credit card and very low spending, it hit all the marks. I believe that card is 1% back on everything else.

We pay a fee on our AmEx with the 6% grocery reward, but the rewards are hundreds of dollars per year over the fee (and we come out ahead versus any other card). I have otherwise never had a reward card with an annual fee. There are plenty of great rewards cards out there that don't charge annual fees.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMama View Post
                  Just got a credit card for my new 16-year-old. 5% back on rotating categories. Lucky for him, gas was the category for third quarter (Chase Freedom card). I personally can't stand keeping track of all that (new categories every few months)

We pay a fee on our AmEx with the 6% grocery reward, but the rewards are hundreds of dollars per year over the fee (and we come out ahead versus any other card). I have otherwise never had a reward card with an annual fee. There are plenty of great rewards cards out there that don't charge annual fees.
                  I don't mind the rotating 5% categories. Every quarter I put a small piece of tape on each card and write the categories. My wife does the same.

We pay a fee for our Marriott card ($95) but they give us a certificate for one "free" night each year which more than more than offsets the fee. A category 5 hotel, the highest the certificate is for, can easily be $200-300.

When my daughter got her credit card when she turned 18, she went with a BoA card that pays a fixed quarterly reward as long as she uses the card at least once a month and pays more than the minimum every month. It doesn't matter how much she charges. And she gets a bonus reward for it being linked to her BoA checking account so she makes out great.
                  Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

American Express Blue Cash Preferred - 6% cash back at supermarkets (up to $6K per year) $95 annual fee --- my experience has been that it applies to supermarket GC purchases (including using store GC to buy gas)
                    Citi Double Cash 2% on anything, no annual fee
                    Target Red Card 5% instant discount, no annual fee
                    Costco Visa 4% gas (anywhere), 2% other Costco purchases, no annual fee

Thank you for this post which has prompted me to rethink our CCs. Since our move, our purchasing habits have changed. We now do more grocery shopping at Costco, and at Winco where they don't take credit cards, so we will probably need to say good-bye to the Am-Ex card when the annual fee comes due.

It sounds like you're interested in the Citi Double Cash. It's a good one if you like to keep it simple and stick to one card. In the past they have offered signup bonuses, but don't have one currently
                    Last edited by scfr; 07-16-2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

1-2% annually when everything is calculated over the course of the year.
                      Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                        American Express Blue Cash Preferred - 6% cash back at supermarkets (up to $6K per year) $95 annual fee --- my experience has been that it applies to supermarket GC purchases (including using store GC to buy gas)
                        Citi Double Cash 2% on anything, no annual fee
                        Target Red Card 5% instant discount, no annual fee
                        Costco Visa 4% gas (anywhere), 2% other Costco purchases, no annual fee

Thank you for this post which has prompted me to rethink our CCs. Since our move, our purchasing habits have changed. We now do more grocery shopping at Costco, and at Winco where they don't take credit cards, so we will probably need to say good-bye to the Am-Ex card when the annual fee comes due.

It sounds like you're interested in the Citi Double Cash. It's a good one if you like to keep it simple and stick to one card. In the past they have offered signup bonuses, but don't have one currently
                        Citi Double Cash with 2% sounds enticing to me with no annual fee. I'm finding 2% with no annual fee is about the best with no annual fee. I see if I want better than that annual fee starts to kick in.

Comment

Don't automatically rule out cards with an annual fee. Check what you get for that fee. There are many cards where the benefits are worth way more than the fee and it's well worth paying.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                            Don't automatically rule out cards with an annual fee. Check what you get for that fee. There are many cards where the benefits are worth way more than the fee and it's well worth paying.
                            Very true but it's hard for me to calculate the advantages/disadvantages when factoring an annual fee. That takes it to another level of calculations keeping tract of gasoline purchases, grocery, dining/entertainment, travel, etc. I'm pretty much a simpleton and want to stick with "no annual fee." Which keeps it simple for me.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post

Very true but it's hard for me to calculate the advantages/disadvantages when factoring an annual fee.
                              It depends on the card for sure. As I said above, I pay $95/year for our Marriott card but that gets us 1 night's stay at up to a category 5 hotel. It's pretty simple to see the value there. We're using this year's certificate in November. The cash price for the room we booked is $310/night so just by having the credit card, we're saving $215 plus tax even if we don't use the card for anything else the entire year.

With other cards, determining the value of the annual fee is definitely murkier.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X