Is everybody incompetent (except me)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have ran into this many times.
    I quit saying anything about it as I always seem to find people with a million excuses saying that is the way it is I am too picky etc. That is the plan turn the situation and try to make me feel bad or judging me because I want a person who DOES their JOB.
    It is NOT picky to expect basic competence. Giving Everyone a pass on competence is only making it worse.
    It is IMO is not an age thing as I find incompetence at all stages it is simple lack of "give a s**t" and zero follow- thru.

If nothing else I feel some people NEED to be addressed and perhaps the employer is trying to build a solid case to let that person go.
    Many places NOW often create a file that cannot be denied before cutting someone loose. This case building protects to a point a wrongful termination claim etc.

In the case of the billing why is not everyone questioning that?
    it is the perfect messy situation where sticky hands could occur. I was with a group that had a treasurer dipping into funds because they purposely had it messy enough to create chaos so it was hard to prove their guilt.
    it also seems very reckless when dealing with a gas meter and any possible item being broken. I hope the second tech was right and part was not needed.

the only thing that seems to get anyone's attention is pointing out legal liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
      Kind of just sounds like older folks griping to me. I'm guilty of it as well at times.
      Every generation says it ...... "Young folks these days will never amount to anything, they can't do anything right"
      I'm 26 and have said "does no one know how to do their job?" twice this week LOL.

The only place I find myself not saying it seems to be the places that value their employees a bit more (offer better training, better salaries, etc). For instance, Publix has great customer service and I never fail to find someone to assist me there. Walmart, on the other hand, I have to hunt someone down in the store who usually tells me they can't help me. I think incompetence plays a part in the "WTF" moments, of course... but I also think a lot of the time people aren't motivated to do better because they've got no incentive.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        no attempt to verify results
        Exactly. I took my car to the body shop a few weeks ago because the trunk was leaking. They determined, correctly, that the leak was coming from a bad seal around the back window. The removed the window, fixed the seal, and replaced the window. No more leak. Great. Except in order to remove the back window, you need to disconnect the rear defroster and the radio antenna. Did they reconnect them when the reinstalled the window? Of course not. So I had to take it in again, wasting well over an hour of my day, for them to finish what they didn't bother to do right the first time.

The guy from the gas company pulled up a little while ago. I went out and he took the pipe that he had left behind. He said he was wondering where he had left it and made it sound like it wasn't the first time he had done that. Somehow I'm not surprised.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post

I also think a lot of the time people aren't motivated to do better because they've got no incentive.
          When did we become a society where people only do a good job or do the right thing when there's something in it for them? What happened to just doing the right thing because it's the right thing?

I get that being in an underpaid overworked dead end job is mind numbing and you quickly reach a point where you just don't care, but if that's the situation you find yourself in, move on. There are plenty of jobs out there. Find one that will treat you better and value your contribution more.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

When did we become a society where people only do a good job or do the right thing when there's something in it for them? What happened to just doing the right thing because it's the right thing?

I get that being in an underpaid overworked dead end job is mind numbing and you quickly reach a point where you just don't care, but if that's the situation you find yourself in, move on. There are plenty of jobs out there. Find one that will treat you better and value your contribution more.
            well that's on the assumption you want to work for more pay, for the satisfaction of knowing you did a job well done, etc. in today's society that values instant gratification, everyone wants everything now, and for cheap or free instead of working to attain it. I think social media is a huge contributing factor. Before people worried about keeping up with "the joneses" on their street. Nowadays, it's not only the joneses, they're blasted with alerts and narcissistic social media posts from friends and family bragging about all sorts of materialistic splurging and apparent lack of effort to attain it.
            Last edited by ~bs; 07-12-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
              I think social media is a huge contributing factor.
              I think you're points are valid but I also think in a much broader sense smart phones are a big source of trouble. You can hardly go anywhere where the workers aren't glued to their phones even while they are working. And not just the workers. I can't stand when I walk into an exam room to see a patient and they are playing on their phone and continue to do so while I'm talking to them and even while I'm examining them.

But for workers it's a huge distraction and I think it's behind a lot of screw ups. If you are too busy on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and Candy Crush and who knows what else, how can you possibly focus on your job. And in many settings, it's hard for employers to totally ban phone usage because sometimes using the phone is actually part of the job. It's just super easy to get distracted and sucked in to things that are not at all work-related.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post
                The only place I find myself not saying it seems to be the places that value their employees a bit more (offer better training, better salaries, etc). ......... but I also think a lot of the time people aren't motivated to do better because they've got no incentive.
                Your first point is right on. I've read, discussed, and heard about a litany of studies which show that the best way to have outstanding customer service is to take care of your employees. I've mentioned it before, but the customer is NOT always right -- rather, do what's right for your employees, teach them to succeed and encourage them to learn, foster gratitude and pride in employees, and you don't have to worry about your customers. If you take care of the employees, they'll take care of the customers. It's that simple.

Related is your second point -- many of those same studies have shown that employers don't know how to offer meaningful incentives. Many of those desirable incentives aren't even monetary or recognition based (which is what most employers default to). It turns out that TIME and OPPORTUNITY are typically the most effective motivators. Google & a variety of other companies are doing a great job of exploring alternative incentives like these... Examples like: personal time explicitly devoted to personal interests, projects, or volunteer work; flexible work schedules or tele-work; personal/professional development opportunities; college/certification tuition assistance/reimbursement, and time to pursue them.

As you build a more motivated, engaged, and interested pool of employees, they'll buy in & take pride in their work. As a result, they do a way better job at whatever they do -- whether that's project development, customer service, or otherwise.
                "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I find myself saying "incompetence abounds" to others more and more often. As an employee, its important to me to produce high quality work that is submitted on time and doesn't need to be corrected/further edited by others due to a shortcoming on my part. I'm amazed at how few people hit these marks! It's not that hard to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

well that's on the assumption you want to work for more pay, for the satisfaction of knowing you did a job well done, etc. in today's society that values instant gratification, everyone wants everything now, and for cheap or free instead of working to attain it. I think social media is a huge contributing factor. Before people worried about keeping up with "the joneses" on their street. Nowadays, it's not only the joneses, they're blasted with alerts and narcissistic social media posts from friends and family bragging about all sorts of materialistic splurging and apparent lack of effort to attain it.
                    That is true there are some whom simply do not want to work or care if they did a good job regardless of the amount of $$.
                    it is far too simple to just excuse incompetence because they are not paid very much. There are so many that simply do the bare minimum to not get fired regardless of pay.

A few places I know that offered flexible schedules and work from home options recently scaled back because those whom simply turned on computer at home but did nothing.
                    The flexible schedules became so up and down they could not verify that person was present/ actually working for the hours they submitted to payroll.

One place I was at put in badges locks between work area and break area/ bathrooms etc due to people spending hours on break or otherwise screwing off these ppl were paid well but simply did not want to do the job.
                    I for one do not like being treated like a child but in more and more places they have resorted to cracking down to deal with this.

There is not one answer except if a person is just wasting space on your payroll let them go so they can go find a job they will give a crap about and do a decent job.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post

There is not one answer except if a person is just wasting space on your payroll let them go
                      That is the solution, but it just isn't as simple as it used to be. As little mom and pop operations die out and get replaced by corporate behemoths, and greater legal liability for "wrongful termination", firing a useless employee isn't always so easy. For example, where I work, our manager has no direct ability to fire someone. She has to go through a whole process of documenting issues, giving reviews and a Personal Improvement Plan, doing follow up meetings, and then, if the employee is still sub-par, she has to elevate the matter to the corporate level and they have to review everything and give approval for the termination. That whole process takes months, during which the rest of us have to put up with the useless (or worse) employee. In my old practice, if someone wasn't working out, the boss called them into his office and said, "Hey, this just isn't working out. I have to let you go" and that was that.
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

That is the solution, but it just isn't as simple as it used to be. As little mom and pop operations die out and get replaced by corporate behemoths, and greater legal liability for "wrongful termination", firing a useless employee isn't always so easy. For example, where I work, our manager has no direct ability to fire someone. She has to go through a whole process of documenting issues, giving reviews and a Personal Improvement Plan, doing follow up meetings, and then, if the employee is still sub-par, she has to elevate the matter to the corporate level and they have to review everything and give approval for the termination. That whole process takes months, during which the rest of us have to put up with the useless (or worse) employee. In my old practice, if someone wasn't working out, the boss called them into his office and said, "Hey, this just isn't working out. I have to let you go" and that was that.
                        No, it is not as simple as it use to be and so many simply do not want to do the steps or documentation and so they let the rest of the staff and the customers suffer.

I worked at a place that had lost more then a few wrongful termination cases ( union shop) but they became very creative in moving people in the future.

Sometimes a inconvenient ( evenings/ weekends or early morning ) shift or added duties assigned to only that person that they simply did not want to do was enough for the person to decide on their own to move on.
                        It also helps if staff gets on board with not letting sub par go by unnoticed. Most do not like the spotlight on their "effort" and when exposed they need to make some real life decisions.

Comment

Earlier this year a company re-sent a purchase I had made from them 3 YEARS AGO! Four knives, 3 garden pruners, and 4 packets of seed. I tried to let them know that it was an old order, that I'd received it promptly three years ago, that there might be a problem with their computer regurgitating orders or something. I could not get customer service to understand...Oh well....It's their loss.
                          "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

you can fire people, but with the quality (or lack thereof) of prospective employees nowadays, it's less likely you'll find better. job market is still tight, and people, especially at the lower end, looking for work are still looking for work for a reason.

in response to my post above, yeah my post was a generality and not a one size fit all model. Some people don't work well without close supervision and/or threats of punishment.

DS yes, the broader perspecitve is that smartphones are an issue becuase they are a source of distraction that didn't exist before. And while in business people talk about "multi-tasking", the truth is, people's brains dont handle multiple tasks and distractions at once very well. and especially not as well as doing a single task with 100% focus. This is why some of the forgetfulness or lazieness will show up, lack of focus.

Comment

Working...
                            X