Do you order groceries online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

They are providing an additional labor-intensive service at no additional cost. They charge the same prices and there is no service fee but someone has to pay the people doing the shopping for you.
    Everywhere I've seen has a minimum order and if you don't meet it, you pay a convenience fee. My store is $10 for delivery and $5 for curbside. Surely a shopper could pull enough curbside orders to make up for their hourly wage and if its not busy with online they could double as a bagger, restock shelves, etc. Additionally, these shoppers aren't new customers, they're existing shoppers that are changing the way they shop. If they're wandering through the store, you've got employees helping people find things, working more lanes of checkout and bagging than would be needed as a portion of the customer base shifts to online shopping. I don't have any data to back it up but I would imagine its more of a shift than added labor. The delivery I understand because its certainly taking more of the employees time, plus gas, etc. and it will be interesting to see how they offset those costs - is it taking business from competitors who don't offer delivery? Increased prices? Efficiency? Here delivery orders are actually filled from the retailers warehouse and not your corner store. Its next day delivery, not day of unless you get your order done really early so it allows them to plan a route and deliver multiple orders at a time even though you get to pick your delivery window.

Comment

Originally posted by riverwed070707 View Post

Everywhere I've seen has a minimum order and if you don't meet it, you pay a convenience fee.
      I just looked up Wegman's curbside pickup. It says no service fee and no tipping in bold type up top but down at the bottom in smaller print it also says, "Prices shown online are higher to cover the cost of having the order shopped for you." So that explains how they are funding the cost. And that makes sense. I should pay more for someone else doing the work for me. And those people need to be paid.

At least at Wegman's, I don't believe the InstaCart shoppers are regular store employees. All they do is the online shopping. I've never seen any of them doing any other job in the store. So it is additional labor and an additional cost that needs to be supported by the service.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

We do Walmart's grocery pickup. I hate going into that store and I have had nothing but good experiences with ordering online and setting my time from 5-6 and picking it up after work. It saves time and also helps us to stick to our budget by not grabbing things that aren't on our list. We don't buy any produce at Walmart, so we are able to pick out our own at another store.

Walmart's minimum is $30. But we only do the pickup every other weeks so we always meet that minimum.

Comment

Instacart shoppers are not employees, I agree, but I fail to see how that has a negative impact on the stores profits. They have an entirely different structure for making their service profitable for which I cannot see an impact - negative or positive - to the stores they shop.

Comment

Originally posted by riverwed070707 View Post
            Instacart shoppers are not employees, I agree, but I fail to see how that has a negative impact on the stores profits.
            Well at least in this case, they have raised the price of the merchandise to maintain their profitability. That makes sense. The money for the service needs to come from somewhere.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I wonder what impact curbside and home delivery of groceries is having on restaurant sales? I can imagine scenarios where grocery curbside is replacing grabbing takeout or ordering delivery. For example, a busy working parent could order curbside on their lunch break, and then pick them up on their way home after picking up the kids from day care.

Comment

they make money off the likely higher minimums, service fees, and higher produce pricing. i looked into it a while back.

I'd say it's pretty convenient if you know exactly what you want and can meet the minimums. more convenient if you order the same thing every week. But if you actaully need to "shop" online for groceries, might be easier to just go to the store, as online shopping does take time. $30 is kind of a lot unless you're buying things other than strictly food and veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                  I'd say it's pretty convenient if you know exactly what you want and can meet the minimums. more convenient if you order the same thing every week. But if you actaully need to "shop" online for groceries, might be easier to just go to the store, as online shopping does take time. $30 is kind of a lot unless you're buying things other than strictly food and veggies.
                  I agree about the convenience, especially if you order the same stuff. I know I buy a lot of the same items week after week so it wouldn't be hard for me to put together a list of recurrent items.

As for the $30, that's not a lot at all. I can't imagine there are too many people, especially with families, who don't spend more than $30/week on groceries. Even just my wife and I spend more than that and with out daughter definitely.
                  Steve

Comment

guess it depends on the size of your household. 2 person household should be able to do $30 easily, family you're spending double or triple that. I cook regularly and probably, at most, spend 100 a month at costco once a month. this includes a month's supply of milk and eggs, meats, frozen foods, and some vegetables. Unless its food that can freeze easily, some of that $30 will spoil.

buying milk used to be a pain for me since the shelf life isn't the greatest. I drink lactose free milk now, and that has a 2 month shelf life so its way more convenient in that I dont need to buy milk frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                      Nope. I don't even get pizza delivered! I don't like people doing things for me that I'm fully capable of doing myself.
                      I do it through Walmart, and love it since I don't drive.

Comment

No, we go to the stores ourselves. It's great being retired since we can go when it isn't as busy. I can see this being a positive if you couldn't get around very well or didn't drive though.

Comment

Working...
                        X