Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financial Insomnia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
    I don't know about financial insomnia per se, but I can pretty much guarantee that every member of this board is going to bed with something heavy on their mind, and giving them a "good morning" greeting each new day.
    What? Sorry Texas, are you saying that everyone here has their own troubles?
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
    202.468.6043

    Comment


    • #17
      My recent financial worry was whether to refinance to a 15-year mortgage.

      But at $350 more per month (each and every month) I decided for now that I am not ready to refi.

      So there were some late night/early morning calculations going on.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

        What? Sorry Texas, are you saying that everyone here has their own troubles?
        Well yes, I would assume so.
        How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jluke View Post
          My recent financial worry was whether to refinance to a 15-year mortgage.

          But at $350 more per month (each and every month) I decided for now that I am not ready to refi.

          So there were some late night/early morning calculations going on.
          I've thought about that before, and came to the conclusion that it's generally more beneficial not to. You can make additional $350 payments if you want to simulate the shorter payoff time like the 15 year mortgage. And the amount of extra interest you're paying is not that much. More piece of mind being able to have option to continue making lower payments. Especially as we're moving further along in this economic cycle.

          Comment


          • #20
            When I'm weighing my options about a significant action/change, whether financial, professional, family, or otherwise, I often have trouble sleeping. My mind races, and I just can't quiet down my own brain. It's honestly pretty frustrating. Sometimes I'm cognizant enough of it to get up out of bed and take some kind of mild sleep aid (either melatonin or valerian root both help me alot), but both of those can also make me oversleep if I take it too late (after ~midnight), and I rather dislike drugging myself. I know that I'm prone to stress/anxiety/over-analysis about things, so the best thing I can do for myself is to consciously set the issue aside as I'm going to bed (which is difficult), or to distract myself with something until the issue isn't in the forefront of my mind anymore (easier, but takes time).

            ETA: For example, the current issue on my mind is simultaneously professional, family, and financial -- I'm getting a temporary (7-month) assignment to the east coast, far away from my family (staying in AK, excluding any Space-A travel they do), and I'm in the process of finding a place to stay, while also attending a training course in Nevada. This confluence of factors is just driving me bonkers trying to sort through everything in my head. I really am a basket case sometimes.... :S
            Last edited by kork13; 07-02-2019, 09:36 PM.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

            Comment


            • #21
              I probably should be losing sleep at night, but I'm really not. I guess its because financially im doing decently well.

              I'm in the midst of a job change thats likely amounting to 75k-100k pay increase, but the trade-off is loss of pension and pension accrual (would need to go back for a few years to vest) and loss of a pretty good paying part time job. Normally I wouldn't have considered the move, but I think this was one of those opportunities that doesn't come around that often, and at my age, would be a mistake to not give it a shot, even as far along in the economic cycle as we are.

              I'm not sure about other localities, but to me, it seems like the baby boomer generation finally retiring enmasse is opening up a lot of opportunities for people in the position to take it.
              Last edited by ~bs; 07-03-2019, 08:03 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                I probably should be losing sleep at night, but I'm really not. I guess its because financially im doing decently well.

                I'm in the midst of a job change thats likely amounting to 75k-100k pay increase, but the trade-off is loss of pension and pension accrual (would need to go back for a few years to vest) and loss of a pretty good paying part time job. Normally I wouldn't have considered the move, but I think this was one of those opportunities that doesn't come around that often, and at my age, would be a mistake to not give it a shot, even as far along in the economic cycle as we are.

                I'm not sure about other localities, but to me, it seems like the baby boomer generation finally retiring enmasse is opening up a lot of opportunities for people in the position to take it.
                Yes, I'm not losing sleep either. In fact, I'm figuring out how to get a solid 8 hours.
                james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                202.468.6043

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

                  Yes, I'm not losing sleep either. In fact, I'm figuring out how to get a solid 8 hours.
                  Actually, i think my body requires more than 8 hours sleep to function well. If I do 8 hours through the week, I end up sleep deprived and go crashing down on the weekend. Which is a bummer because I really am quite busy.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X