Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Primary Debates - Let's get ready to rumble!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
    the weird thing is, trump is pretty nuts, but it seems like right or wrong, he does have the interest of americans in mind with his whole "america first" strategy.
    I emphatically disagree with this but this isnít the place for that discussion.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

me neither tbh. The DNC was always run this way, but the slant was super obvious for the 2016 cycle, which pissed people off. Disneysteve kinda mentioned that having 2 candidates right up to the primary was the problem, and I'd tend to agree. Their organizational structure wasnt designed to fairly pick a candidate, but to rubber stamp a chosen one. Even this "debate" is just for show to drum up viewership and support.

this election cycle should be interesting. The entire clinton/sanders, trump getting elected, radicals like aoc getting elected, tea party, etc etc all point to rising unrest among the average citizens. They're frustrated by these fat cat politicians who are totally out of touch with reality, and frustrated enough to vote in seemingly unqualified people and a crazy guy with dementia. the weird thing is, trump is pretty nuts, but it seems like right or wrong, he does have the interest of americans in mind with his whole "america first" strategy. To a lot of people, that seems to be more than what many other politicians are offering, who seem totally out of touch with reality.
      I don't agree at all. I think it is very clear that Trump has Trump's interests in mind. Also, those who have given him large campaign contributions. If he really wanted to put America first, he would stop doing things which are bad for America.

Comment

You really need to shut off these political rant threads.
        Seems out of place in a finance forum. We can get all of the political B.S. we need elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
          So apparently it's not the same everywhere but there should at least be some way for independents to vote in primaries in the states where that isn't permitted. The whole party system is a big part of the problem. We can't have a bunch of Dems voting for a Rep in the primaries who has no shot of winning just to sabotage the election but it's also not right that a Rep who actually supports a Dem candidate can't cast a vote for that person.
          I almost brought that up in my earlier post... The 2 party system is awful. It allows one party to gain control for a while & just steamroll over the other. If we could get a strong 3rd or even 4th national party, lawmakers would be forced to build consensus & cooperation in order to get things done. Oh, the other thing on my political wishlist is term limits for Congress.
          ​​​
          As for the primaries themselves, it was always frustrating to me that I couldn't vote for the people I wanted. I was registered Republican for a little while (I typically lean a bit conservative), but that restricted me from voting for Democrats (or others) when I felt it appropriate.

I know I'm not giving and solutions here, just venting... But our political system has become quite abhorrent over the last 15-20 years. I participate merely as a way of giving my opinion, even knowing that my vote is often outweighed by extremists in both parties.
          "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I don't think the founding fathers wanted there to be an any party system. It just grew on its own and now we have the pissing contest that we have.

Comment

Who promised the most FREE STUFF ?
              Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

Comment

Originally posted by greenskeeper View Post
                Who promised the most FREE STUFF ?
                Trump

He promised me a 28k tax cut and delivered. All them people on stage want to take that away.

Comment

Originally posted by Singuy View Post

Trump

He promised me a 28k tax cut and delivered. All them people on stage want to take that away.
                  All depends on your point of view. The Trump tax increase cost us thousands of dollars in extra taxes. I would love to see the next president turn that around.
                  Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Oh yes. Just saying for me the people on stage promised me the least amount of free stuff while Trump is still giving me the biggest amount. I have no use for student loan forgiveness or government health care.

Also I'm trolling greenskeeper. Making a point as a household making 400k/year is getting the most free stuff right now while others are struggling. But I have to keep those who are struggling from taking away my free stuff!

Comment

Also I'm trolling greenskeeper. Making a point as a household making 400k/year is getting the most free stuff right now while others are struggling. But I have to keep those who are struggling from taking away my free stuff!
                      Singuy, I'm liking your succinct way of putting things.
                      james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

I have no use for student loan forgiveness
                        I'm not entirely opposed to doing something about student loans, but erasing them isn't the right answer. I'd be okay with them freezing interest rates at 2 or 3%, or even 0% for that matter. Let people pay back what they borrowed without being saddled paying thousands or even tens of thousands more in interest.

The whole "free college" idea is insane. I mean, it wouldn't actually be free as it would be paid for with tax dollars, not unlike how public school is funded, but I don't think college should be like public school.

Steve

Comment

I'm fine with canceling student loan debt, but if nothing is done about the vicious cycle existing between student loan lenders and colleges that have gotten 2-1/2 times more expensive in the last 25 years, then it will all be for naught. When I was a freshman at Syracuse in 1999, a year there cost ~$30,000. Today, it costs $67,000.

Comment

all erasing student debts would do is make the educational industrial complex monster even bigger, so I'd disagree with doing it. People should be responsible for their own choices in life. I'd argue that "college for everyone" and easy to access student loans have actually made the tuition and loan issue way worse for students than otherwise, and is the primary culprit behind school tuition rising at a much faster rate than inflation over the years. More funding and attention should be put towards educating students for life after high school. That includes college, understanding student loans, basic finances,etc. Even a single required class in high school would help a graduate more than the average science course about plant biology or trigonometry course. YES one could argue that it's the parents' responsibility, unfortunately nowadays parents treat school more as free daycare than anything else.
                            Last edited by ~bs; 06-30-2019, 02:40 AM.

Comment

all erasing student debts would do is make the educational industrial complex monster even bigger, so I'd disagree with doing it. People should be responsible for their own choices in life. I'd argue that "college for everyone" and easy to access student loans have actually made the tuition and loan issue way worse for students than otherwise, and is the primary culprit behind school tuition rising at a much faster rate than inflation over the years.
                              I agree. Most college campuses have become ultra-luxury resorts compared to what they were when I attended in the mid-80s. Some of it is donor-funded, but I'm sure a lot of it is explained by the ever-increasing tuition. My school was 10K when I graduated and is now in the mid 50K range. Some schools are over 70K. I can't believe the actual cost of providing the education has risen that much. What has risen is having a super modern gym, a Broadway-caliber theater, indoor pools, all air conditioned dorms, gourmet food in the dining halls, and more. And the availability of easy and virtually unlimited borrowing has fueled this. What if kids could only borrow 10K/year max? What would happen to college costs?

If you forgive existing debt, what about kids about to start school in the fall? Do you let them "borrow" money they'll never have to repay? And what about the "chumps" like my daughter? She graduated in May 2018 and has already repaid the 15K she borrowed. What message are you sending to her for doing the right thing and being responsible when you wipe out the debt of all of her classmates who haven't done the same?
                              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

And what about the "chumps" like my daughter? She graduated in May 2018 and has already repaid the 15K she borrowed. What message are you sending to her for doing the right thing and being responsible when you wipe out the debt of all of her classmates who haven't done the same?
                                I feel the same. Graduated with $12k in debt from borrowing my first 2 years and paying out of pocket for my last 2. Donít want to come off as a ďwhat about meĒ gripe but I donít have sympathy for my coworkers and classmates who graduated with $100k+ At a $10k/yr school, spent irresponsibly and would then just have it wiped out. Whatís there to learn from that? Why did I work my tush off to pay my loans ASAP if I could have racked up 10s of thousands to be forgiven?

Comment

Working...
                                X