Affect of slavery reparations on our economy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affect of slavery reparations on our economy

So the Democratic leadership in DC is pushing for a study of possible reparations for slavery. I have said for years that these guys haven’t gone to left field - they’ve moved three miles from the ball park.

In any event, I am wondering how we might pay these reparations and how they might hurt/help our economy. Certainly those on the receiving end will have some new cash to spend. But will the additional cost to the rest of us outweigh the benefit?

What is a fair amount that needs to be paid? And to whom will the checks be written?
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

I haven't followed this issue at all so I don't know what has been discussed or proposed but the whole concept is ridiculous to me. What reparations are there? Nobody who was a slave is still around today. Who are you going to pay? Grandchildren of people who were once slaves? Why? What does that accomplish? The people you'd be paying weren't even alive when their ancestors were slaves. And where is the money to pay them going to come from? Surely there are many better things we could do with that money. The whole idea just makes no sense to me.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

what if you're 1/2020 african american? do you still get reparations from descendants of slave owners?

hate to bring politics into the conversation, but lunacy like this is the reason why the crazy orange man will serve another 4 years. Just my 0.02

------------------
      Average donation $34

In a tweet, RNC chair Ronna McDaniel tagged Trump and wrote that the president “raised a record breaking $24.8M in less than 24 hours for his reelection
      First, relative to previous campaigns by incumbent presidents, raising $25 million in a single day is a ton of money. For instance, then-President Barack Obama raised $86 million during the entire first quarter of his reelection campaign in 2011 — a figure that Politico described as a “shock-and-awe showing” at the time. But Trump apparently raised nearly a third of that total in a single day
      Second, Trump’s haul of $25 million on Tuesday alone is not only more than what each of the top five candidates for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination raised combined in the first 24 hours after they launched their campaigns, but as Fox News reports, no candidate for the Democratic nomination even hit $20 million in the entire first quarter of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
        hate to bring politics into the conversation, but lunacy like this is the reason why the crazy orange man will serve another 4 years.
        I do wish the Democrats would get their act together and start focusing on defeating Trump rather than wasting time and effort on garbage like this. He's destroying the country and its reputation around the world and they're worrying about nonsense like this.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

give them rice crispy treats
          Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

Comment

Some sandwich coupons ?

Comment

I think it will open up the flood gates with other groups wanting reparations too. What about the Japanese imprisoned during WW2?? Where's their pay out?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I do wish the Democrats would get their act together and start focusing on defeating Trump rather than wasting time and effort on garbage like this. He's destroying the country and its reputation around the world and they're worrying about nonsense like this.
                How about take a few weeks since 2015 to actually govern?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
                  I think it will open up the flood gates with other groups wanting reparations too. What about the Japanese imprisoned during WW2?? Where's their pay out?
                  Japanese Americans who were interned during WWII received compensation in the 80's.
                  Last edited by scfr; 06-20-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post

It already happened in the 80's.
                    Thank you. I thought that had already occurred but didn't have a moment to look it up.

Reparations were paid to SURVIVING internees. About 82,000 people qualified.

How many SURVIVING slaves are there?
                    Last edited by disneysteve; 06-20-2019, 06:17 PM.
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
                      They received one, thanks to that leftist whacko pink-commie-radical Ronald Reagan.
                      As far as reperations to African-Americans what I here being discussed is not cash to individuals but funding to institutions such as colleges, hospitals serving poorer predominately black neighborhoods things like that. Not handing people checks.
                      And reperations aren't just about slavery; remember there were years of segregation, voting rights denial, Jim Crow laws, segregated schools, unequal access to public services such as buses and trains, hospitals, colleges etc. And there are plenty of survivors of those years. Some of them live on my block.

Comment

Cutting people a check is stupid. There needs to be more equality when it comes to criminal justice.

This white guy at the Trump Re-election announcement decided to bring his assault rifle in a backpack and wore 100+ rounds of magazines around his waste. The secret service and local police stopped him, and then let him off the hook after 20 mins. Now imagine if anyone else who brought this layout other than a white person to a Trump rally. Forget assault rifles, how about getting shot for wearing a hoodie?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/po...lly-in-orlando
                        Last edited by Singuy; 06-20-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Singuy View Post
                          Cutting people a check is stupid. There needs to be more equality when it comes to criminal justice.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/po...lly-in-orlando
                          Again, who is suggesting "cutting people a check"?

Comment

Originally posted by Keshet View Post
                            And reperations aren't just about slavery; remember there were years of segregation, voting rights denial, Jim Crow laws, segregated schools, unequal access to public services such as buses and trains, hospitals, colleges etc. And there are plenty of survivors of those years.
                            Well if you're going to go down that road....
                            Women weren't given the right to vote until 1919, long after slavery ended and are still not paid equally in the workplace.
                            Gays and lesbians weren't given the right to marry until 2015 and are still legally discriminated against in many ways.

The way African Americans have been and continue to be treated in this country is a disgrace. The same for women. The same for homosexuals. None of it complies with the US Constitution. We can only hope that over time we grow and advance as a society and learn from our mistakes. Certainly blacks have it much better today than they did 100 or 150 years ago (and the same can be said for woman and homosexuals) although there is still a great deal of progress needed. I just don't see where any of that translates to paying reparations. Focus on fixing the problems. Change the laws that are still in place that make discrimination legal. Stop cutting funding to programs that support marginalized groups. Silence the official voices in government that still spew hatred against minorities and blatantly support discrimination.
                            Steve

Comment

The white, straight male under 40 might be the most discriminated against guy in the country right now. Have you seen a TV commercial, sitcom, or movie lately where such is portrayed as anything other than a complete boon? So there’s that.

Comment

Working...
                              X