Is College Worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post

I find most people when I ask about their college years they value their personal growth and maybe seeing things in a different light as the most valuable parts, Rarely did they speak of specific academic teachings.

I think this discussion can go back and forth as what people value is vastly different. I know many whose degree was worth it and many who wasted money and are no better off in some cases worse off then those whom never attended college.

It is a personal choice and yet I have seen and worked with people with a degree that were simply no common sense and unable to deal with anything that they were unfamiliar with and retained very little information when it was given to them, but they touted their Education" degree at every chance they got.
    I also seen those without a degree doing quite well without throwing that in people face but reminding all of their lack of degree.
    Cost is what you pay
    Value is what you receive

If the only thing received is a piece of paper, then I agree the cost is not worth the piece of paper
    If connections, experience, passion for learning, knowing how to learn independently, etc... are received (as value) then the cost is likely worth it 9 times out of 10

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post
      I think this discussion can go back and forth as what people value is vastly different. I know many whose degree was worth it and many who wasted money and are no better off in some cases worse off then those whom never attended college.
      Absolutely! I have friends that didn't go to college and don't regret it one bit. One girl I met in college dropped out and lived in Costa Rica after we'd studied abroad there. Everyone values things differently, for sure! My degree has definitely helped me quite a bit in my professional life too, so it has "paid off" in that way as well.

Comment

if you go to college and dont get a degree or dont utilize the degree at all in life, it is a net negative, not zero. There is opportunity cost that you missed spending 4 years of your early adult life not earning income or gaining work experience. If you assume that 40 years is the total potential working years until retirement, that's a full 10% of the time you wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
          if you go to college and dont get a degree or dont utilize the degree at all in life, it is a net negative, not zero. There is opportunity cost that you missed spending 4 years of your early adult life not earning income or gaining work experience. If you assume that 40 years is the total potential working years until retirement, that's a full 10% of the time you wasted.
          And yet only 56% of students who go to college ends up with a degree after 6 years. It's really a toss of the coin. But they keep advertising that college is good for you even though it's absolutely life crushing if a young 18 year old didn't plan accordingly(lol, expecting an 18 year old to plan...).

I made this case before but since everyone are responsible enough here to bankroll their kids, my opinion on the matter was not very popular.
          Last edited by Singuy; 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X