X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cypher1
    replied
    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
    Amazon almost always has the best price around on the stuff we buy.

The other day one of my coworkers was looking for a book for her daughter. She first looked on Target's website to see if they had it in stock in the store. They didn't. So she looked on Amazon. Not only did they have it, it was cheaper than Target and would be delivered the same day. What's not to love about that?
    I agree overall for the price and convenience. But also torn. Recently I found a very appealing art book for 32.99+tax at a local book store (non-retail chain), but found it on Amazon for 23.99 + free shipping (guessing pay for just sales tax). I haven't ordered it yet (again, clearly a want), but would prefer giving my business to a local small business, vs saving maybe $10 with purchasing online. First world problem, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• kork13
    replied
    Originally posted by cypher1 View Post
    I typically do research on the majority of items, or willing to spend more on the quality. Especially on tools or cookware. My motto now is "If I need it, I'll buy it. If I want it, I'll keep it in the basket for at least a week before purchasing in case I change my mind."
    This is an excellent practice, and I do very much the same thing. If I can wait on it, I will. If I still want it a month or so later, I'll consider actually buying it, and do the research to be confident in the purchase.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by cypher1 View Post
    Friends and co-workers are amazed I don't use Amazon Prime anymore. Given the wide age range of them, instant vs delayed gratification doesn't appear to be a generational thing. A lot of us are just ingrained with getting everything now.
    We don't use Prime because of instant gratification. We use it for exactly the reasons you said: avoiding the malls and stores, not waiting for discounts and coupons, and just doing our research and getting a good price. Amazon almost always has the best price around on the stuff we buy. Prime does, of course, have the added advantage that you get stuff quickly, sometimes even the same day, which makes going to stores even less appealing.

The other day one of my coworkers was looking for a book for her daughter. She first looked on Target's website to see if they had it in stock in the store. They didn't. So she looked on Amazon. Not only did they have it, it was cheaper than Target and would be delivered the same day. What's not to love about that?

Leave a comment:

• cypher1
    replied
    No shopping for me as well. I refuse to go near the mall during that day. I still have PTSD from working that day at Best Buy in HS.

Now that I think about it, I really don't buy things in a hurry, nor wait for deals, discounts, or coupons. Although whatever I buy, I typically do research on the majority of items, or willing to spend more on the quality. Especially on tools or cookware. My motto now is "If I need it, I'll buy it. If I want it, I'll keep it in the basket for at least a week before purchasing in case I change my mind."

Friends and co-workers are amazed I don't use Amazon Prime anymore. Given the wide age range of them, instant vs delayed gratification doesn't appear to be a generational thing. God forbid we wait a few more days for an item. A lot of us are just ingrained with getting everything now.

Leave a comment:

• bjl584
    replied
    No shopping for me yesterday.

I went and cut firewood instead. Ended up getting 2 full pick up truck loads. That should be enough wood to get us through the winter at camp.

I saw on the news that a fist fight broke out at a Walmart over a TV.
    Some guy opened fire at a food court inside a mall too.
    No thanks on that craziness.....

Leave a comment:

• corn18
    replied
    Just ordered 16 waffles from my favorite waffle place in Cincinnati: Taste of Belgium. They offered $4 off and free shipping. Could not resist.

Leave a comment:

• Like2Plan
    replied
    I found the format that the black Friday specials were/are displayed on most web sites leaves something to be desired. I just don't feel like wending my way through a bunch of stuff that I am not interested in--it's too much work. I got tired of it quickly-I felt like it was so boring!

We had tickets to see a movie (Ford vs Ferrari--good movie by the way) at the local mall on Thanksgiving evening. We went into the Target that is in the mall with 2 things on our list- vitamins and a toy to donate (deadline for the toy donation is next week). Neither purchases were on sale. If we hadn't been almost out of vitamins, we probably would not have gone into the store. It was a very ho-hum event IMHO. I did find Lindt Chocolates on sale, so I bought some for a project that I am putting together that has to be completed by 5 Dec. I guess that is a win.

What I find would exciting is to find good deals on the gift cards my family is hoping to receive for Christmas. So far I have struck out on finding any of the specific ones I am looking for.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by rennigade View Post
    Bought tires at walmart...and we ordered a cheesecake factory gift card, $25 and you get 2 slices of cheesecake for free. Although, I think that deal is still going on.
    I love the restaurant gift card deals. We did Iron Hill yesterday. $75 purchase gets you $20 bonus. We might Panera also ($50 purchase for $10 bonus).

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by mumof2 View Post
    its weird w enow have this in our state in australia...they have had "black friday" sales all week LOL...not just friday...but guess we just do our own version of things...but we didn't buy anything we just don't need or want anything...and our christmas shopping is all done
    Same here. Black “Friday” sales have been going on all month and now Cyber “Monday” has become cyber week. Plus as DD pointed out yesterday a lot of online places had Black Friday sales anyway so it isn’t just physical stores anymore.

Leave a comment:

• rennigade
    replied
    Bought tires at walmart...and we ordered a cheesecake factory gift card, $25 and you get 2 slices of cheesecake for free. Although, I think that deal is still going on.

Leave a comment:

• mumof2
    replied
    its weird w enow have this in our state in australia...they have had "black friday" sales all week LOL...not just friday...but guess we just do our own version of things...but we didn't buy anything we just don't need or want anything...and our christmas shopping is all done

Leave a comment:

• ~bs
    replied
    Not for me. It amazes me how people buy a bunch of stuff they dont need, just because it's perceived to be a good deal. They buy a bunch of stuff and brag about saving $XXX. NO, IN REALITY YOU SPENT $YYY.

Leave a comment:

• corn18
    replied
    Originally posted by kork13 View Post

I saw that one and was definitely tempted...but still more than I want to spend (< $500). I'm looking to eventually replace my 2012 MacBook Pro. I hate Windows, Apple is excellent but too expensive, and both are blindingly insular, so I'm leaning toward a Chromebook. That way at least I can keep it simple & easily synched with my Pixel phone, and I'm finding that I do less & less on it besides surfing the web, writing papers, and streaming TV/movies. So I don't need much. But getting 7+ yrs out of a laptop that still works decently? I've definitely been impressed with my mac (and the 6 before it that I've grown up with). Enjoy yours!
    I am using a 6 year old MacBook pro right now and the keyboard is getting flaky and I must have used something weird on the screen as it is delaminating or something. It has been rock solid and I have been looking to replace it anyway. I did get a chromebook earlier this year and could not like the OS. Just too limiting and did not play well with Office which I use a lot. Certainly great value and fast if it does what you need, though.

Leave a comment:

• Jluke
    replied
    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Hope they fit. It's always a big gamble stocking up on diapers in advance. When DD was born, she was too big for "newborn" size from the start. Also, because she was long and thin, we had to try a few brands before we found ones that worked, and then changed brands a few times as she grew. There's no way we could have stocked up on anything.
    Agree. They worked well for DS1 so going off of that.

Diapers are sized for 8-14 pounds (Pampers Size1) so hopefully we’re ok.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Jluke View Post
    Diapers at BJs. Saved $19 on 2 boxes using coupons. For DS2 due April 2020.
    Hope they fit. It's always a big gamble stocking up on diapers in advance. When DD was born, she was too big for "newborn" size from the start. Also, because she was long and thin, we had to try a few brands before we found ones that worked, and then changed brands a few times as she grew. There's no way we could have stocked up on anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X