No announcement yet.

Black Friday deals, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought tires at walmart...and we ordered a cheesecake factory gift card, $25 and you get 2 slices of cheesecake for free. Although, I think that deal is still going on.

Comment

Originally posted by mumof2 View Post
      its weird w enow have this in our state in australia...they have had "black friday" sales all week LOL...not just friday...but guess we just do our own version of things...but we didn't buy anything we just don't need or want anything...and our christmas shopping is all done
      Same here. Black “Friday” sales have been going on all month and now Cyber “Monday” has become cyber week. Plus as DD pointed out yesterday a lot of online places had Black Friday sales anyway so it isn’t just physical stores anymore.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
        Bought tires at walmart...and we ordered a cheesecake factory gift card, $25 and you get 2 slices of cheesecake for free. Although, I think that deal is still going on.
        I love the restaurant gift card deals. We did Iron Hill yesterday. $75 purchase gets you $20 bonus. We might Panera also ($50 purchase for $10 bonus).
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I found the format that the black Friday specials were/are displayed on most web sites leaves something to be desired. I just don't feel like wending my way through a bunch of stuff that I am not interested in--it's too much work. I got tired of it quickly-I felt like it was so boring!

We had tickets to see a movie (Ford vs Ferrari--good movie by the way) at the local mall on Thanksgiving evening. We went into the Target that is in the mall with 2 things on our list- vitamins and a toy to donate (deadline for the toy donation is next week). Neither purchases were on sale. If we hadn't been almost out of vitamins, we probably would not have gone into the store. It was a very ho-hum event IMHO. I did find Lindt Chocolates on sale, so I bought some for a project that I am putting together that has to be completed by 5 Dec. I guess that is a win.

What I find would exciting is to find good deals on the gift cards my family is hoping to receive for Christmas. So far I have struck out on finding any of the specific ones I am looking for.

Comment

Just ordered 16 waffles from my favorite waffle place in Cincinnati: Taste of Belgium. They offered $4 off and free shipping. Could not resist.

Comment

No shopping for me yesterday.

I went and cut firewood instead. Ended up getting 2 full pick up truck loads. That should be enough wood to get us through the winter at camp.

I saw on the news that a fist fight broke out at a Walmart over a TV.
              Some guy opened fire at a food court inside a mall too.
              No thanks on that craziness.....
              Brian

Comment

No shopping for me as well. I refuse to go near the mall during that day. I still have PTSD from working that day at Best Buy in HS.

Now that I think about it, I really don't buy things in a hurry, nor wait for deals, discounts, or coupons. Although whatever I buy, I typically do research on the majority of items, or willing to spend more on the quality. Especially on tools or cookware. My motto now is "If I need it, I'll buy it. If I want it, I'll keep it in the basket for at least a week before purchasing in case I change my mind."

Friends and co-workers are amazed I don't use Amazon Prime anymore. Given the wide age range of them, instant vs delayed gratification doesn't appear to be a generational thing. God forbid we wait a few more days for an item. A lot of us are just ingrained with getting everything now.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by cypher1 View Post
                  Friends and co-workers are amazed I don't use Amazon Prime anymore. Given the wide age range of them, instant vs delayed gratification doesn't appear to be a generational thing. A lot of us are just ingrained with getting everything now.
                  We don't use Prime because of instant gratification. We use it for exactly the reasons you said: avoiding the malls and stores, not waiting for discounts and coupons, and just doing our research and getting a good price. Amazon almost always has the best price around on the stuff we buy. Prime does, of course, have the added advantage that you get stuff quickly, sometimes even the same day, which makes going to stores even less appealing.

The other day one of my coworkers was looking for a book for her daughter. She first looked on Target's website to see if they had it in stock in the store. They didn't. So she looked on Amazon. Not only did they have it, it was cheaper than Target and would be delivered the same day. What's not to love about that?
                  Steve

Comment

I typically do research on the majority of items, or willing to spend more on the quality. Especially on tools or cookware. My motto now is "If I need it, I'll buy it. If I want it, I'll keep it in the basket for at least a week before purchasing in case I change my mind."
                    This is an excellent practice, and I do very much the same thing. If I can wait on it, I will. If I still want it a month or so later, I'll consider actually buying it, and do the research to be confident in the purchase.
                    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                      Amazon almost always has the best price around on the stuff we buy.

The other day one of my coworkers was looking for a book for her daughter. She first looked on Target's website to see if they had it in stock in the store. They didn't. So she looked on Amazon. Not only did they have it, it was cheaper than Target and would be delivered the same day. What's not to love about that?
                      I agree overall for the price and convenience. But also torn. Recently I found a very appealing art book for 32.99+tax at a local book store (non-retail chain), but found it on Amazon for 23.99 + free shipping (guessing pay for just sales tax). I haven't ordered it yet (again, clearly a want), but would prefer giving my business to a local small business, vs saving maybe $10 with purchasing online. First world problem, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                        This is an excellent practice, and I do very much the same thing. If I can wait on it, I will. If I still want it a month or so later, I'll consider actually buying it, and do the research to be confident in the purchase.
                        Realistically, a month is more likely for waiting as well for me, especially for a want.

Comment

I agree overall for the price and convenience. But also torn. Recently I found a very appealing art book for 32.99+tax at a local book store (non-retail chain), but found it on Amazon for 23.99 + free shipping (guessing pay for just sales tax). I haven't ordered it yet (again, clearly a want), but would prefer giving my business to a local small business, vs saving maybe $10 with purchasing online. First world problem, I guess.
                          Part of me struggles with a little that but ultimately, if a business wants to earn my patronage, they need to make it worthwhile for me to shop there, regardless of if it's a small business or a national chain.

One of the bulbs in my daughter's bathroom burned out today. It is a specialty bulb (G9). I looked on Home Depot's website because if they had them, I would have shot over there and picked them up. They do sell them for $2.50 each but don't carry them in the stores and are out of stock online. ACE Hardware has them in stock but at $5.99 each. So I went to Amazon. I got a 10-pack for $8.55, less than the price of 4 at Home Depot or 2 at ACE, and they'll be delivered in a couple of days. The fixture has 4 bulbs and this is the first to burn out so odds are we'll be needing to replace the other three in the not too distant future so buying a multi-pack made sense, especially at that price. And we'll have enough to replace all 4 this time and next time with a couple more to spare.

Supporting local businesses is great, but not when they are charging 3 to 7 times as much for the same item. No thanks.
                          Steve

Comment

We wound up going to Best Buy 7 times and Costco 3 times all because Best Buy employees don't know what the hell they are talking about. They were not even the Christmas help employees. Long story short, I'm never shopping at BB again, I'm ready to throw the Sonos set up at my husband, and you will see me on the news if BB doesn't ship the damn Airpods in time for Christmas. It is the only thing my daughter wants and they gave us the wrong item twice and now they are out of stock. I'm so pissed off. We wasted all of our time at Best Buy and didn't get to the other stores to get what we need, and by the time we were done I was too tired to go online and shop. Get this---I was too tired to order my magazines this year!!!! That's how tired and aggravated I was.

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                              Best Buy employees don't know what the hell they are talking about.
                              This is another reason I prefer shopping online. Much of the time, the store employees haven't got a clue what they're doing. My wife and mother went to Boscov's recently (a regional department store chain). They asked 3 different employees where they could find a certain item and got 3 different answers, all of which were wrong. Finally, the 4th person they spoke to told them that the sale flyer my mom had been looking at was for a sale that actually started the next day and that item wasn't out on the floor yet. So they wasted all that time running all over the store for something that wasn't even there. It would have been nice if the first employee had told them that.
                              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                                I'll also be keeping an eye on Cyber Monday promos. If Target offers a site-wide discount, like they have done in the past, I'll stock up on some essentials for me and for my mom.
                                Cyber Monday shopping is done - Target 25% off of personal care items. Spent $24+ tax, and used some of the remaining balance from the 10% off Target GC that I bought last year. The American economy has been revitalized by my big spend.

Comment

Working...
                                X