Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on income inequality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TexasHusker, I have to remind myself to shop local. My city really is just barely hanging in there and I know many people leave the city to do nearly all their shopping. Yesterday I was out in an ajoining county and knew I'd be passing a couple nurseries where I could buy a bale of straw that I really needed. I pulled into one, asked the price, whinced, and told myself that if they are asking $9.50 for one bale out here close to where it was cut, then, in the city they might be asking $10-$12. I reminded myself that I need to support my local businesses if I want to even have local businesses and all the good things that spins off.

Got back into the city, went to the garden center that is within walking distance from home, and --surprise!-- they were only asking $5.50 a bale. So if it will stop frickin' raining, I can do my emergency straw mulching and then call the shop for a truckload delivery....Ultimately, maybe the city can address the sink hole developing two blocks away in the street the delivery truck will drive on to get to my place.

"There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Wait a moment here, doesn't ethical behavior actually increase profits in the long run?
      Most humans are driven by greed. What can I save, what can I make. Where can I cut expenses, where can I boost income.

Ethics are someone else's problem.
      How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

Most humans are driven by greed. What can I save, what can I make. Where can I cut expenses, where can I boost income.

I don't entirely agree though I also don't think you're entirely wrong.

One problem, at least from an investing standpoint, is that most of us don't buy individual stocks as our primary means of investing. We buy mutual funds and ETFs and largely index funds. So although I wouldn't go out and buy stock in Altria, for example, I'm quite sure it is a holding in one or more of my mutual funds. There's no way to buy the index and not get a piece of various companies that I may not otherwise want to be involved with.

As for shopping, I'm definitely guilty there. We shop at Amazon all the time. They have everything so we don't waste a bunch of time driving to various stores searching for what we want. They almost always have the best price around. They deliver everything right to our door in 24-48 hours and sometimes even the same day. Not only do they have everything but we go on and get just what we want. There's no browsing or temptation or impulse purchases as there can be if we go into Target or Walmart. Local merchants simply can't compete, which is why so many of them have closed up and more are closing all the time.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

True, but you have to draw the line somewhere. For most people, at the least they'll observe boosting income and cutting expenses to the extent legally possible. Many people have an even higher bar than that, and will observe what they feel is morally right/wrong. Otherwise all business owners would rip off customers, make workers work extra hours without pay, and use their businesses as drug fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

True, but you have to draw the line somewhere. For most people, at the least they'll observe boosting income and cutting expenses to the extent legally possible. Many people have an even higher bar than that, and will observe what they feel is morally right/wrong. Otherwise all business owners would rip off customers, make workers work extra hours without pay, and use their businesses as drug fronts.
            I don't have the same level of confidence in humanity that you do.
            How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Working...
            X