Do you have a hobby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a hobby?

We were talking with someone (a crafter) the other day and in the course of the conversation, she asked what my hobby was. It was really the first time it struck me that I don't currently have a hobby. There are various things I've involved myself in over the years, but none that I still do. I've been thinking about that the past couple of days and I'm honestly not sure what hobby I'd like to do at this point in my life but I recognize the value and emotional outlet that having a hobby brings.

I don't want to collect anything as we're actually working on getting rid of clutter, not accumulating more.
    I don't want to make anything as again, we don't want more clutter.
    I used to do online and in-person collectibles sales but that market isn't what it once was.

What do you to occupy your free time and get your mind off of work and stuff and let your creative juices flow?
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

I enjoy going to the gym, working in the garden, hiking, fishing, hunting, building and fixing things.
    Brian

Comment

Hiking, hunting and shooting. From a personal finance standpoint, shooting is a terrible hobby. Bullets can cost up to a dollar fifty, rifles cost hundreds of dollars, and once you do have a firearms collection you need to buy locks and safes to keep the collection secure. Not to mention the costs of accessories, range fees and the cost of gas to get to the shooting range. I think I've spent at least $3,000 on shooting and at least $2,000 on hunting trips in the past couple of years. While I have a ton of great quality time with family to show for it, the returns haven't been financial.
      james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Steve, I would think one of your hobbies is giving financial advice on SA!

Sewing and writing blogs (organizing, financial) are my primary hobbies. I also do a lot of research on a specific medical topic. My husband is in need of a hobby as he nears retirement. I'm trying to convince him to learn guitar! We do like hiking and going to new places together.
        My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by creditcardfree View Post
          Steve, I would think one of your hobbies is giving financial advice on SA!
          It is, for sure. And also giving Disney advice on another site. But I was thinking of offline. We do love travel but just like hunting or fishing or hiking, that's not something I can just do for an hour after dinner.

One thing I do like doing is making these canvas art things that I've done for several years. I make Disney-themed ones and I have donated a bunch of them to fundraising events we attend for Give Kids The World. Writing this thread actually made me realize there is an event coming up in Indianapolis in September. Although we aren't attending, I could still make and donate a couple. I contacted them a little while ago and they would love to have them. So I'll start working on those. I already made and shipped two to Florida for an auction they're having in August (that we will be attending).
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

For pretty much anyone, some sort of exercise/activity is always a great option as a hobby for both fitness & mental wellness reasons. I enjoy running & cycling, and do both at least 1-2x a week when the weather is decent/tolerable. Reading and cooking are constants as well. Otherwise, my hobbies vary alot depending on the season, where I'm at (mountains vs. beach), and how busy I am. SCUBA diving, snow boarding, camping/hiking, board games, photography, and so on.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
              For pretty much anyone, some sort of exercise/activity is always a great option as a hobby for both fitness & mental wellness reasons.
              I've got that one covered, though admittedly could be a little more regular with it. I do a strength training circuit at the gym a couple of times a week and run once or twice a week as well. I totally agree that it benefits you both physically and mentally.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
                From a personal finance standpoint, shooting is a terrible hobby. Bullets can cost up to a dollar fifty, rifles cost hundreds of dollars, and once you do have a firearms collection you need to buy locks and safes to keep the collection secure. Not to mention the costs of accessories, range fees and the cost of gas to get to the shooting range. I think I've spent at least $3,000 on shooting and at least $2,000 on hunting trips in the past couple of years.
                Sounds to me like you are getting off pretty cheap
                I'm nuts about hunting and fishing and take trips all over, multiple times per year, usually hunt at least three different states and occasionally take a big trip to Canada or Alaska.

My part time job could really be considered a hobby which is taking care of our farms; mowing, pond care, brush clearing, tree work, drainage work, various plantings, etc. Also enjoy firearms and shooting, gardening and do some acrylic painting.

Comment

My hobbies are cooking and cleaning and laundry.

I do walk 3 to 5 times a week but don't really consider that a hobby. I don't know what I'd do for a hobby. I like astronomy and would love to get involved in some of the planetarium activities but it's an hour away in a traffic laden city, so I don't really see myself driving up there at night

Comment

I would say my hobby is my businesses. I also enjoy home interiors. I am constantly looking for ways to give my house something extra. Antique chandeliers, Persian rugs, display items, Christmas dishes and decorations. My goal is to get my house to where nothing looks like it came from Loweís. Just because I like authentic and unique. I donít like fake stuff that is made to look like real stuff. Fake divided light windows, fake slate roofs, fake wood, fake rugs. It just kinda grates on my nerves in my own home. So I suppose thatís a hobby.
                    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

First things that come to mind would be working out, working on my cars, home improvement projects, traveling, hiking, snowboarding. For collections and nostalgia, I do collect certain masterpiece series Transformers figures, and certain comic book action figures. I do like guns, and have four. But as James mentioned, shooting adds up, so I only go to the range a few times a year. Reading and podcasts with financial advice/investments, and recently politics I've been more involved with.

When I ask others about hobbies, I sometimes have to rephrase it as, "What do you like to splurge on?". Otherwise beer tasting (just got back from Belgium and those are the best), and trying to cook more new dishes, is starting to become more of a hobby as well.
                      "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by cypher1 View Post
                        When I ask others about hobbies, I sometimes have to rephrase it as, "What do you like to splurge on?".
                        That's interesting. I don't necessarily consider that the same as a hobby. For example, we might like to splurge on fine dining, but I wouldn't call that a hobby, although to some it might be if they take a more organized approach to trying new restaurants or following certain chefs. We also have gotten into bourbon and some other whiskey in recent years, and even took a trip to Kentucky to do the Bourbon Trail. I don't think of that as a hobby either though we definitely know people who are way more into it than us, follow all the latest news, travel around searching for rare bottles, etc. I think it's more of a hobby for them.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

That's interesting. I don't necessarily consider that the same as a hobby. For example, we might like to splurge on fine dining, but I wouldn't call that a hobby, although to some it might be if they take a more organized approach to trying new restaurants or following certain chefs. We also have gotten into bourbon and some other whiskey in recent years, and even took a trip to Kentucky to do the Bourbon Trail. I don't think of that as a hobby either though we definitely know people who are way more into it than us, follow all the latest news, travel around searching for rare bottles, etc. I think it's more of a hobby for them.
                          That is true. I'm not saying all types of splurging = a hobby, but a lot of times in my experience asking that question gets people thinking about their passions or interest if they don't have an initial response. For example, I mentioned the topic of cooking. In the last few years, I've minimized my cookware to higher quality items as an investment as I find more enjoyment in this habit. And I'm more willing to spend a little more on certain types of meats, ingredients, etc.

Otherwise i realize my original statement doesn't speak for everyone.
                          "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Actively, I play volleyball, do acroyoga, and love to take my dog exploring new parks and trails. I enjoy bike riding but havenít been making as much time for it as I used to. Also have been teaching myself guitar for about a year and just got signed up for lessons beginning next week.

Comment

I've sort of stumbled into something that's becoming a bit of a hobby. I was never very active on Twitter but have been diving in deeper recently. I've been discovering and connecting with a lot of folks who post retro and historical Disney World content. I've been collecting Disney memorabilia since 1975 and have been visiting Disney World almost annually since 1978. I have a ton of old photos which I've recently been unearthing as I've been cleaning our garage and I've started tweeting them. I also will be sending out 2 reels of super 8 sound home movies that we took on our first trip to have them digitized. I'm also sending out one tape from 1989 when Disney-MGM Studios opened. If I'm happy with how those turn out, I have a bunch more old video from trips in 89-92 that I'll have digitized as well. It's fun finding a community that appreciates seeing all of this old stuff.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X