Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And I thought I had seen the lowest forms of humanity...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And I thought I had seen the lowest forms of humanity...

    My father passed away two weeks ago, and I got a notice about his obituary being on a Facebook page. How nice! Except when I went to look at the obituary, it was very clear that this is a business ("Everhere") that is profiteering off of recent losses of loved ones. They scour the newspapers and funeral homes and repost obituaries, and then encourage you to send flowers, etc. through their service. After each obituary they say something like "Our hearts are heavy with the loss of John Doe..." And then they have people go in and post a condolence or one of those little FB buttons that signifies crying/tears/a heart, etc. These folks don't even know your loved one. They are paid to do this to help get the ball rolling.

    https://www.facebook.com/Obituaries.In.Amarillo.Texas/

    This is a disgrace and in incredibly poor taste. I messaged them and told them to remove me dad's obituary immediately and that they did not have my permission to publish it. They replied that they did so, "but we only have the best intentions." Uh uh. I replied "your intention is to make money, but thanks for removing the obituary."

    Apparently, Everhere enjoys profiteering off of all sorts of tragedies with loss of life: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...here-1.4629281
    Last edited by TexasHusker; 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

  • #2
    Very sorry for your loss, TH

    As for bottom feeders like these folks, one can only hope that karma comes around to even the score at some point.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment


    • #3
      Facebook has sometimes not done a good job contributing to the national well being.
      james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
      202.468.6043

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
        Facebook has sometimes not done a good job contributing to the national well being.
        I really donít fault Facebook for this. Criminals and low lifes have been around for ever and will always find a way to do their thing. The internet in general and social media more specifically have certainly made it easier, but if not Facebook it would be Twitter or Instagram or whatever else was popular. With a couple billion users, Facebook canít possibly police and censor every user and every post.
        Steve

        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

        Comment


        • #5
          there has and will always be people with zero conscience more than willing to take advantage, hurt, or kill other people for their own benefit or amusement. While your case is bad, there's tons worse.

          In my state, a week or two ago, a girl in her early 20s had a flat tire so someone stopped by to "help". She ended up getting kidnapped, raped repeatedly, and almost drowned. So in exchange for getting his rocks off and stealing $100 and a laptop, he was willing to traumatize this girl for the rest of her life and was willing to attempt to kill her.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
            My father passed away two weeks ago, and I got a notice about his obituary being on a Facebook page. How nice! Except when I went to look at the obituary, it was very clear that this is a business ("Everhere") that is profiteering off of recent losses of loved ones. They scour the newspapers and funeral homes and repost obituaries, and then encourage you to send flowers, etc. through their service. After each obituary they say something like "Our hearts are heavy with the loss of John Doe..." And then they have people go in and post a condolence or one of those little FB buttons that signifies crying/tears/a heart, etc. These folks don't even know your loved one. They are paid to do this to help get the ball rolling.

            https://www.facebook.com/Obituaries.In.Amarillo.Texas/

            This is a disgrace and in incredibly poor taste. I messaged them and told them to remove me dad's obituary immediately and that they did not have my permission to publish it. They replied that they did so, "but we only have the best intentions." Uh uh. I replied "your intention is to make money, but thanks for removing the obituary."

            Apparently, Everhere enjoys profiteering off of all sorts of tragedies with loss of life: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...here-1.4629281
            Lawyers got them beat....they are the true scum of the earth.
            Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by greenskeeper View Post

              Lawyers got them beat....they are the true scum of the earth.
              That's certainly true of some, like the ambulance chasers and the ones running all the "if you've ever taken this medicine" ads on TV all the time.

              Of course, I've also worked with some great lawyers over the years who were highly professional and ethical and I was very happy to have them representing me.
              Steve

              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

              Comment


              • #8
                Used to be that obituaries gave the address of the deceased along with the funeral times so it was an open invitation to thieves to come to take what they want. In a small enough town, you don't even have to put the address as most people know where everyone lives or can find out easily.

                That is incredible about that girl with the flat. Horrendous! Our constitution calls for "Although prisoners do not have full constitutional rights, they are protected by the Eighth Amendment's prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment." I don't think that some criminals be tortured, but if the guy has done what he did to that girl he should get a sentence that gives him the same treatment he gave her as much as possible. He apparently seemed to think it was a fair thing to do, so why not do it to him? I get so tired of the nonsense about letting people off due to mental illness. Of course, they were mentally ill to do that, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be punished in an equitable manner as what they did to their victim.

                @TH sorry about the loss of your father. I hope you have many wonderful memories of him. That is such a great gift.
                Gailete
                http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sorry for your lost.
                  its terrible to hear about companies like this
                  Brian

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm very sorry for your loss, TexasHusker.
                    Thank you for speaking out about yet another way low-lifes prey on the elderly and bereaved.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X