Announcement

Collapse

Markets Closed Memorial Day Monday

U.S. stocks markets are closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. Foreign financial markets will be open. The New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq will resume normal trading hours on Tuesday.
See more
See less

Truck Fund and IRA Maxed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Fund and IRA Maxed

I'd made a post last year discussing the thought about purchasing a new truck or investing in the IRA.

https://www.savingadvice.com/forums/...avings-carloan

Luckily the discussion here helped talk me off of the new truck ledge. I did end up making a few financial changes I wanted to share.

1) I did max out the IRA for 2018, that was posted in the old thread so no big new there.
    2) I opened a savings account at a local credit union. The purpose of this account is strictly truck fund.
    3) I've decided to set a goal of maintaining roughly $20k in my normal checking and savings account. At the end of the month, anything I have in the accounts above $20k is moved to the credit union account.
    4) I upped my 401k contributions from 7.5% to 10%
    5) I've just maxed out the IRA for 2019 (Its now $6,000 per year vs $5,500). I'm going t try to make this a priority to do at the start of each year just to have it done with.
    6) With the truck fund, the intention is not to consider purchasing a vehicle, new or used unless I can pay cash with that fund alone.

Are there any major holes in my thinking here?

Thanks for the update. I think that all sounds great.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

This all sounds good.
      What are your plans for paying for a new roof and AC when you need them?

Comment

One thing I would change (perhaps) is if you are going to be holding 10k or more in checking/savings plus the truck fund, I would open an online account at Ally (no minimum) or CapOne Money Market (10k+ required) and get at least 2% interest on that money.

I (keyword) also wouldn’t pay cash for a vehicle IF I could get a 3% or lower car loan. But I believe some of those deals are harder to find now.

ETA: specified no minimum for Ally as my post was not clear.
        Last edited by Jluke; 03-16-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jluke View Post
          One thing I would change (perhaps) is if you are going to be holding 10k or more in checking/savings plus the truck fund, I would open an online account at Ally or CapOne Money Market (10k+ required) and get at least 2% interest on that money.
          The 10K minimum is only with CapOne. Ally has no minimum for their rate which is currently 2.2%. So if you are earning much less than that with the credit union, I would consider moving it.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
          X