The actual cost of a speeding ticket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The actual cost of a speeding ticket

Obviously, if you're looking to save money NOT speeding and driving safely is always the best option. However, my fiance got a speeding ticket about two years ago and it is STILL impacting our insurance. The speed limit changed quickly from 65 to 45 and he was nailed for nearly 20 over. Overall, we've had to pay about $40 more per month over the past two years on insurance, in addition to the $250 fine (and our insurance won't go down for another year). So, in all reality, a speeding ticket can really cost you around $1,700.

When was the last time you got nailed for speeding or another traffic violation? How did it impact your finances?

I'm 54. I've been driving since I was 16. I have never gotten any type of ticket or violation except for a parking ticket once. The financial impact of that was very minimal.

I know people who get tickets all the time. I just don't understand that mindset. I can understand getting snagged once, but not repeatedly. You would think they would learn after the first couple, but I guess the same can be said about lots of other bad financial decisions.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I've been driving for almost 40 years. I've had one speeding ticket, 12 years ago. I was able to get it dismissed by taking a driver course and meeting some filing requirements. My total cost was $180. I plan to never get another ticket.

Comment

I got one ticket back when I was 16. It cost me around $150 but didn't raise my insurance rates.
        Brian

Comment

"The speed limit changed quickly from 65 to 45"

This doesn't make any sense to me. Do you expect it to go down in 5 MPH increments? It's either a 45 MPH zone with a sign or it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake3287 View Post

This doesn't make any sense to me. Do you expect it to go down in 5 MPH increments? It's either a 45 MPH zone with a sign or it isn't.
            He was driving down a stretch of highway in a place we don't live (about 2 hours away) and missed the speed limit change.

I should be clear - this was his first ticket (and we aim for it to be his last)... but the entire cost of it has been surprising. We are typically safe drivers but still quite young (I'm 25 and my fiancee is 29), which is why I'm thinking it impacted our insurance in such a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake3287 View Post

I can understand this. Near our house, there is a spot where the speed on the highway drops from 65 to 55. Approaching that point, there are a couple of signs that say something like "Reduced speed ahead". So you get a couple of warnings before it actually changes. They don't just suddenly drop the limit without warning.

There's also a residential street nearby and partway down the street, the speed limit drops from 35 to 25. They also have a sign warning of the reduced speed ahead and right where it changes, there is a radar speed limit sign that shows your speed and flashes red and blue if you are over 25 to really get your attention.

But I've also seen places where they drop the speed limit with no warning. That's where the cops love to hang out and snag you.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I probably get 2-3 per year.

Comment

Originally posted by prosper View Post

Oh gosh. I hate to ask but WHY? We set cruise control now simply to avoid it. Not to mention all the additional headaches with insurance, court fees, and possible driving courses. How much does it usually cost you per year?

Comment

WHY? There is a device installed on every single car to prevent this from happening. It's called a speedometer .
                    Steve

Comment

I live in the DC metro area. Its speed cameras all over the place and the signs change rapidly. Ironically, Im actually a slow driver. My last ticket was for driving 35 in a 25. i didn't see a sign but assumed the speed limit was 45-60mph because it was a 4 lane road. I believe my last ticket was very similar; 35 in a 25. Fortunately, it doesn't effect my insurance. My driving record is clean.

Comment

I live in the DC metro area. Its speed cameras all over the place and the signs change rapidly. Ironically, Im actually a slow driver. My last ticket was for driving 35 in a 25. i didn't see a sign but assumed the speed limit was 45-60mph because it was a 4 lane road. I believe my last ticket was very similar; 35 in a 25. Fortunately, it doesn't effect my insurance. My driving record is clean.
                        I'm surprised moving violations don't have any effect on your insurance. Your driving record isn't clean at all if you get 2-3 violations each year.

I don't know how things are around there but here it's definitely a pain if you have to go to traffic court each time and lose a day of work which increases the cost even more.
                        Steve

Comment

Not sure why the insurance company doesn't count it. Maybe in their algorithm, they don't view a 35 mph speeding ticket as a risk. Usually the ticket is 30-40 bucks. hardly worth the effort to go to court.

Comment

Not sure why the insurance company doesn't count it. Maybe in their algorithm, they don't view a 35 mph speeding ticket as a risk. Usually the ticket is 30-40 bucks. hardly worth the effort to go to court.
                            Yeah. If it doesn’t affect insurance and you get no points on your license there’s really no benefit to fighting it. I guess you just chalk it up to “stupid tax” and move on.
                            Steve

Comment

I believe it's because the ticket from the cameras is applied only to the car, not the person.

Comment

Working...
                              X