Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else in NC/SC? How prepared were you for this hurricane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else in NC/SC? How prepared were you for this hurricane?

Hi all! I'm sure you have seen some footage of Hurricane Florence and what it has done to the Carolinas. I live in Charlotte and we didn't get hit too bad but the areas surrounding us are definitely suffering. Just half an hour away there has been extreme flooding. Thankfully, we just have one tree down and quite a bit of debris to clean up. The creek close to my place is also a bit high but the rain is FINALLY over so we should see that recede soon.

One thing I kept hearing from people is that they weren't prepared for this type of flooding, this type of weather. People living two to 2.5 hours from the coast are losing their homes and cars to something they wouldn't normally be impacted by. Like I said, thankfully, we didn't see much damage in my home or to my property... but some of my friends have been seriously impacted. It is heartbreaking.

We are going to be venturing out today because my fridge is absolutely empty and are currently mapping a "safe route" with many roads flooded and trees still down. It is crazy!

For folks who have been through a hurricane - How much preparation can you do for something like this? Do you ever really know how much you'll need? Some of these folks could be without power for weeks.

Glad you are safe. I was supposed to be travelling your way for work, but thankfully it was cancelled.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post
      One thing I kept hearing from people is that they weren't prepared for this type of flooding,
      Certainly, there are things you can do in preparation for a storm, but there really isn't much of anything you can do to prepare for catastrophic flooding. I suppose you could move everything you possibly can to the upper floor of your home if you have an upper floor, but that's about it. If a flood comes through and water submerges your first floor, nothing you could have done would help that.

What is always saddest about these events is all of the people who die because they ignore the evacuation orders, like the mother and child killed when a tree fell on their house. Had they gotten out as instructed, they'd still be alive. I'd rather spend a few nights in a shelter somewhere than die at home.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Back in 2010 I was in living in Washington, DC. We had a massive snowstorm hit that dumped something like 40 inches of snow on the city over a two day period. The whole place was shut down, the subway wasn't running, the roads weren't open.etc. What I remember about to the storm was going to the local grocery store - the place was totally picked over. All the batteries and good food were pretty much gone.
        james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
          Back in 2010 I was in living in Washington, DC. We had a massive snowstorm hit that dumped something like 40 inches of snow on the city over a two day period. The whole place was shut down, the subway wasn't running, the roads weren't open.etc. What I remember about to the storm was going to the local grocery store - the place was totally picked over. All the batteries and good food were pretty much gone.
          That's entirely different than flooding or hurricanes. A snow storm doesn't destroy your home. I mean there will be the occasional roof that collapses or tree that comes down but nothing approaching the devastation of the hurricanes.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
            Glad you are safe. I was supposed to be travelling your way for work, but thankfully it was cancelled.
            I was wondering if you're travel plans might be canceled. Sorry to hear that but glad you'll be missing out on this!

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
              What is always saddest about these events is all of the people who die because they ignore the evacuation orders, like the mother and child killed when a tree fell on their house. Had they gotten out as instructed, they'd still be alive. I'd rather spend a few nights in a shelter somewhere than die at home.
              Absolutely! What's startling to me... is there have been quite a few deaths this far inland. A one-year old baby was lost in a flood in Union County, NC last last after the mother had been rescued from the car. Another person was found in their car after the flooding started to go down this morning... and a baby died from a tree falling on their home. It is absolutely heart breaking. In many of those places, they never thought it would be that bad...

We will be venturing out to finally get some groceries. When we got to the store last week, there was nothing left so we've been pretty bare bones the past few days. I think we've finally got a clear route to the store (thank goodness).

Comment

Stay safe. Even after the water starts to recede, the danger is still there from downed wires, damaged roads, etc.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                  Stay safe. Even after the water starts to recede, the danger is still there from downed wires, damaged roads, etc.
                  Thank you! We definitely will!! If I didn't need food, I'd be staying in altogether haha. I'm hoping the grocery stores nearby have had a chance to restock.

Comment

Did you do some stocking up on essentials before the storm?
                    "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Hurricanes are tremendously costly - here is some of the latest from NOAA on the cost of the last five major ones in the US.
                      top_five_hurricanes.png

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                        Did you do some stocking up on essentials before the storm?
                        So, long story short - my PayPal info was hacked the Friday before the storm hit so I had to cancel all my cards and was low on cash. We wound up going to the store to get some non-perishables on Wednesday of last week and everything was already gone. Yesterday we heard Burger King less than a mile away was open so we went there and got $1 chicken sandwiches. I was halfway through mine and it was cold and uncooked... I've been up sick all night into the morning from it (ugh). My body definitely needs some food though so we'll be venturing out shortly to see what's what and where we are able to get some groceries.

I feel like I have had some terrible luck! Hahaha. But I am thankful we didn't have it as bad as those on the coast and even just 30 minutes away...

Comment

That's awful! What a time for your cards to be hacked or in suspension! I heard that in Wilmington those stores doing business are on a cash only basis. Well, as of late this morning, anyway. I hope that Burger King made only that one mistake. I think you should try to report it to your city, county, or state health department because now --of all times-- they need to be held to a high sanitation standard including properly cooking and serving at a safe temperature. Wow.

The more I hear and read of what happens during and after natural disasters, the more I realize I need to think and plan ahead. I have had a fire escape chain ladder on my Amazon wish list forever and I think I should just get it now. I'm sure there are other things I ought to do. Heat emergency, power outage, fire, flood,natural gas stoppage, tornado, industrial / train accident, earthquake. I think those are, in order the most likely disasters to happen to my household.

Thanks for getting me to think about this once again. I wonder where is a good place for me to keep some cash. Hope others from the hurricane'd area can be back with us soon and tell us what has happened.
                          "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                            I think you should try to report it to your city, county, or state health department because now --of all times-- they need to be held to a high sanitation standard including properly cooking and serving at a safe temperature. Wow.

The more I hear and read of what happens during and after natural disasters, the more I realize I need to think and plan ahead...... Thanks for getting me to think about this once again. I wonder where is a good place for me to keep some cash. Hope others from the hurricane'd area can be back with us soon and tell us what has happened.
                            We definitely reported it - my fiancee was also unlucky enough to get an uncooked sandwich and we've both been ill. I called the health department and also alerted the management there. They were very apologetic but I don't think I'll be returning (not that I ate BK often anyway haha).

It has definitely got us thinking about what more we should do to be prepared for stuff like this all the time so there's no last-minute rush. We are mostly in danger of fire and flood here, and power outages. We, thankfully, have a wood-burning fireplace so during the winter we are sure to have plenty of wood stocked up in case of emergency.

I hope everyone else who lives in the area here on the forums is safe and sound!!

Comment

I need to confess something to you guys...I'm "that guy", we have some MREs and water in our closet just in case something like that happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X