What Kind of Cell Phone Do You Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Kind of Cell Phone Do You Use?

I have been using my double-slider by Pantech for about 2 years now.

But, after a very sad Valentine's day, I have finally made an emotional decision and purchased myself an iPhone 4. Hopefully this new phone will cheer me up, hah!
    Last edited by CHH1023; 02-17-2011, 04:51 AM.

It's a Samsung, but I'm un unsure about the model.
    Brian

Comment

It will for sure. I've had my iPhone for about a year now. If you search back, there was a thread where I debated getting it for the longest time. I finally took the plunge and LOVE it. My wife was even more hesitant than I was. She waited until I had mine for a while, used it a few times herself to see how she liked it and finally got one over the summer. Now you'd have to pry it out of her cold dead hands to get it away from her.

Simply having full internet access in the palms of your hands 24/7 is worth every penny. I can't tell you how many times that has come in handy at home, at work, in meetings, while traveling, etc. It is like having the entire Library of Congress in your back pocket and more. The technology is simply mind-boggling.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I'm not much of a cell phone person... I have it for convenience, and because I normally need to be reachable at most times of the day (job requirement). I normally just use whatever phone I can get for free (though that doesn't happen here in Japan--for the "cheapest" phone available, I paid nearly $300! Lunacy!) I can see how having ready-access to the internet can be useful at times, but I don't see enough value in it to pay $70/mo + cost of phone to have it.
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I have AT&T and I have a iPhone4. Great, great phone! I had a Verizon BlackBerry Curve 5330 for a year or two before that before it started malfunctioning and freezing non-stop. Very happy with my iPhone! I use it for everything!

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
            I can see how having ready-access to the internet can be useful at times, but I don't see enough value in it to pay $70/mo + cost of phone to have it.
            For the iPhone, it was actually only $30/month extra, plus we get a corporate discount through my wife's job so it is only $20-something.

You have no idea how helpful that internet access is until you've got it. Trust me. I was very much a skeptic about it being worth it which is why I delayed getting the phone for so long.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I have a Pearl for work (2nd replacement within 4 years), and Curve for personal (barely use), both using AT&T. The last few weeks has been very frustrating at home with AT&T for dropped calls on both phones. I've had the Iphone 2G/3G, very impressed with applications/features. Its the only thing I'll admit I like about Apple. I'm debating about getting a 4G, or just going to Droid. Only reason for hesitant, is since i'm so comfortable ergonomically with the Pearl, I can text one handed without looking. Hard to pass that up.
              "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

I have a Motorola somethingorother from Tracfone.

I don't need a smart phone, and I'm not willing to pay the monthly fees associated with them. It also bothers me how so many people are completely tethered by them. I'd explain further, but if you've seen the commercial (I think it's for a Windows phone) where people say "Really?" to folks using their phones constantly, you know what I mean
                seek knowledge, not answers
                personal finance

Comment

iPhone 4. Awesome.

Comment

I don't have one and don't want one.

Comment

Probably getting the galaxy s2 when it comes out. I have a LG xenon right now and it's okay.
                      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I am using iphone since it came out. Though I am paying $20/month more, I am not able to let it go!

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                          You have no idea how helpful that internet access is until you've got it. Trust me. I was very much a skeptic about it being worth it which is why I delayed getting the phone for so long.
                          Don't tell me that! I am still VERY much a skeptic. I simply can NOT imagine getting $1 a day's worth out of mobile internet. I go from work (with access) to home (with access)....and I have a GPS. What else do I need it for? Settling arguments at the bar?

Comment

Originally posted by humandraydel View Post
                            Don't tell me that! I am still VERY much a skeptic. I simply can NOT imagine getting $1 a day's worth out of mobile internet. I go from work (with access) to home (with access)....and I have a GPS. What else do I need it for? Settling arguments at the bar?
                            I have access at home on the desktop computer on the 2nd floor but frequently use the phone to look up something quick or check e-mail while downstairs, or while I'm out somewhere.

I have access at work in only one of my two exam rooms. I use a couple of medical apps on an almost daily basis, even when I am sitting in front of my computer, because that data isn't as easily accessible on the computer as it is using the app on the phone.

I'm very active at our synagogue and sit on several committees. In nearly every meeting, I'm the one person in the room able to hop online and answer a question that comes up in a discussion so that we can settle an issue and move on. I did that just last night.

My wife got a GPS unit just a few months before I got my iPhone. She hasn't used it since. In fact, we gave it to my cousin as a gift for the holidays.

My bank has an iPhone app so I can check my balance, transfer funds and pay bills from the phone. I can get the weather forecast. I can check my stock portfolio. Vanguard has an app. Paypal has an app. Ebay has an app. I can't tell you how many times I've used the Amazon app while we were out shopping somewhere. I've used it to compare prices with the store we were in. If it was cheaper at Amazon, I clicked and ordered the item. That feature alone has saved me probably a couple hundred dollars already. Our local news radio station has an app so I can listen to the traffic report anytime before I head out on the roads. That has helped me avoid numerous traffic jams that I otherwise would have gotten stuck in. I also use the Kindle app to read books on the phone and have no need to actually buy a Kindle.

And, of course, there are endless frivolous/entertainment uses for the iPhone which are still of value. You can play all types of games, from mind games, word games, Su-do-ku, Scrabble, jigsaw puzzles, shooter games, etc. So you could think of part of the phone bill as coming from your entertainment budget. You can even watch TV shows and movies on the phone. I've done that a number of times with apps like TV.com. For a while, I was watching episodes of the original Twilight Zone series at night when there was nothing good on TV.

Shortly after getting my phone, by coincidence, I was invited to participate in a professional market research program that is solely iPhone-based. I earn $150/month by participating which pays for my iPhone, my wife's iPhone and my daughter's cell phone. I realize that is a unique case though that won't apply to others.

Can you tell I make good use of my iPhone?
                            Steve

Comment

I'm using the Samsung Epic. Unlimited talk, text and data for just under $40 per month. My neighbor works for sprint and hooked us up with their employee plan.

iPhone or Droid, both are great.

Comment

Working...
                              X