How much would you spend on a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would you spend on a car?

I thought this would evoke some interesting responses. I would imagine this amount would be pretty low considering the people that cruise this board. Personally, I can't see myself dropping more than $40k on a car used or new. Unfortunately, my passion for fast cars means that I will have to buy used. Who knows.....maybe someday when I'm out of debt and I have $$$ to burn I'll splurge on a new Porsche twin turbo. It's only $140,000....LOL....only in my dreams.

Right now, 15,000. Being a two car family and paying cash, makes it difficult to do anymore. Besides, we're not fancy car people. We do like nice cars, but not real expensive ones.

Comment

Our general rule of thumb is to buy what we have the cash to afford. I can't see ever spending more than $20k, personally.

It's hard to say though. The amount we are willing to spend has gone up considerably with time. (From $1k as teenagers to $5k as college grads, to a ballpark of $15k for the next round. But we're considering a hybrid which would put us at the $20k mark).

I know, I can not understand buying a $100k car. Oh it would scare the crap out of me that it would get stolen or damaged. Eeks! Even if I had more money than I knew what to do with, I'd have to draw the line around $50k. You can get pretty nice wheels for that though.

I like the Tesla, but yeah, not spending six figures on a car...

Comment

How rich are you? That would weigh into my decision. Millionaire several times over with money to blow?
        Last edited by LivingAlmostLarge; 03-22-2008, 06:44 PM.
        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

If I had the money to buy a car, I woul probably drop around $14,000 or so for a toyata yaris.

Comment

My limit is about $20,000.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Probably 25-30K would be my max. On our last 2 cars (both used) we spent 23K and 20K. We have done a nice job with our savings and could get something more, I just don't see the need. I really have never been a "car" person. Just give me something reliable that is pretty decent and I'm fine.

Comment

So, do you guys buy new cars or used? From the stuff I have looked at, it seems that used cars give you more bang for your buck.

Comment

If I could buy a car tomorrow I'd buy a 18K Subaru Impreza

ETA this would be new since it's very hard to find a used Impreza

Comment

We always but used and will never buy a new car. We are looking at the end of this year for a car for my wife and will most likely get a 2005-2007 with low miles.

Comment

Enough to buy a viper, c6 z06, or gt2 (all used of course).

I currently have set up a "car fund" and put in 100/week. When I save up enough I might have to pull the trigger

On a daily driver, I would not pay more than 10k. btw the car fund is for anything related to cars ie repair, buying daily driver, insurance, etc...

Comment

My goal is to stay in the range of 12-15k depending on whether I'm looking for a compact car or a full-size sedan.

Needless to say, this would be a "new to me" car.

Comment

I don't think I'd ever buy new unless I was just independently wealthy. Plus, by the time I could afford something that nice I probably wouldn't want a really nice car unless I was going thru a midlife crisis.

Comment

My next car will be somewhere in the $40K-60K range, but that's at least 5 years away from now.

Comment

$26,700 for a new Prius 5 months ago. We only have one car. We fill-her-up about every two weeks. Best decison we ever made.

Comment

Working...
                              X