Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aleta
    replied
    To Tabbycat: You can also take old blankets, sheets, towels, and confetti to your pet shelter. The animals can use these discards that we no longer use and it's going for a good cause.

Leave a comment:

• shengmei
    replied
    I love National Public Radio.

Hubby and I give 10% of our income (a tithe of sorts) to Brazos Feral Cat Allies.

Brazos Feral Cat Allies

We both love cats.

Leave a comment:

• Fern
    replied
    Currently, I cannot afford to make monetary donations, though in the past, when i was making good money, i would regularly contribute quite a bit to:

* Nature Conservancy
    * Audobon
    * World Wildlife Fund

Since i don't have dependents and will lkely outlive my immediate family members, I am leaving at half my estate to these and other charitable groups.

Leave a comment:

• tabbycat31
    replied
    I have a lot of "stuff" to donate, and I found out that the one of the SPCAs I support has a thrift shop. They will be getting old clothes, etc from here on out.

I never realized that Goodwill was not a nonprofit. As a tax preparer, I've had several clients write off "clothes to goodwill" as a noncash contribution.

I've never been one to give old clothes to the Salvation Army because they are a church. I don't believe in organized religion, and I'd feel like a hypocrite supporting it (kinda like a pro-lifer giving to Planned Parenthood)

Leave a comment:

• ktmarvels
    replied
    Girl Scouts is my #1 organization. They had a huge impact in my life and they continue to impact the girls of today. I tend to just give time, when I can, but I ALWAYS buy cookies when they ask!

Susan G. Komen- I've done Race for the Cure for several years.

Goodwill- we usually donate our "stuff" here. Recently I've been rethinking this though. I don't like that they aren't non-profit. So maybe in the future I'll give it to the Salvation Army or a church.

Leave a comment:

• txex86
    replied
    Our church
    Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
    Salvation Army
    United Way
    University of Texas women's athletic general fund(Hook 'em)

Leave a comment:

• cptacek
    replied
    My church
    Catholic Charities
    my alma mater's athletic association (which really goes to the general fund)

Leave a comment:

• nanamom
    replied
    Our church, both money and time
    Freecycle (usually can tell from email who really needs stuff)
    Local shelter for animals (goods, not cash)
    Angel Tree (gifts)
    Goodwill (goods, not cash)
    Private donations of goods and cash (people found through our Pastor who really needa hand once in a while)

Leave a comment:

• tabbycat31
    replied
    I donate to mayn animal organizations, and I get various trinkets from them too. HOwever I didnt need to buy a calendar for 07, and I will never have to worry about buying mailing labels.

Leave a comment:

• Elgin526
    replied
    United Way
    Red Cross
    Northern Illinois Food Bank
    a local woman's/childrens shelter (household items)

I used to donate to the Humane Society, but they were sending me crap every month to try and get more donations (key chains, calendars, address lables, etc) and felt that the money they spent on marketing should be going to the animals, not trying to get more money. It's fine to send the occasional letter as a reminder "hey, remember us?", but this was way over the top. I'm going to find a local shelter around here and donate directly to them.

Oh, and I put change into the Salvation Army kettle during the holidays. Every one I see gets whatever change I have on me!

Leave a comment:

• Ima saver
    replied
    I donate to animal shelters and the humane society.

Leave a comment:

• th_tan
    replied
    I always support the SPCA, they can always use the funds to help shelter animals. I do it because I'm a dog lover, I can't stand to see dogs being put down because an owner neglects them.

Leave a comment:

• usnavy_233
    replied
    I currently support:

National Rifle Association
    Virginia Citizens Defense League
    Susan G. Komen Foundation
    Special Operations Warrior Foundation
    My local church

Leave a comment:

• PRICEPLUS
    replied
    Most of my charitable dollars goes to the Salvation Army. I also send money to Friends of the NRA in support of shooting programs!

Leave a comment:

• 34saving
    replied
    Local church (I think that's part of the deal.)
    World Vision (We sponsor a little girl with the same birthday as our older daughter)
    Operation Smile (Our younger daughter is cleft affected)
    Lupus/Disabled Vets (whoever calls to pick up my stuff first)
    Last edited by 34saving; 03-14-2007, 06:25 PM. Reason: Added detail

Leave a comment:

Working...
X